US visa question

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
If you have a US visa in a passport, and you have to have your passport renewed at your home country, will the visa still be valid or do you have to go through the whole visa process again?

if the visa in your expired passport is valid, do you have to travel with the old passport (What if home country keeps old passport?) or do you go to the US embassy for a pre-approved stamp in your new passport?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My husband has a US visa in old passport which has not expired and they just stapled the 2 passports together.

Matilda

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
Yep, Visa stays valid. My GF just renewed her passport with three years left on her visa. The only thing they told her was to make sure she traveled with the new and most recent expired passport.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
...if the visa in your expired passport is valid, do you have to travel with the old passport (What if home country keeps old passport?) or do you go to the US embassy for a pre-approved stamp in your new passport?
They let you keep your old passport if you explain that there is a valid visa in there, you have to present the old passport with the visa together with the new passport.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
From here -

Q: My old passport has already expired. My visa to travel to the United States is still valid but in my expired passport. Do I need to apply for a new visa with my new passport?

A: No. If your visa is still valid you can travel to the United States with your two passports, as long as the visa is valid, not damaged, and is the appropriate type of visa required for your principal purpose of travel. (Example: tourist visa, when your principal purpose of travel is tourism). Both passports (the valid and the expired one with the visa) should be from the same country and type (Example: both Uruguayan regular passports, both official passports, etc.). When you arrive at the U.S. port-of-entry (POE, generally an airport or land border) the Customs and Border Protection Immigration Officer will check your visa in the old passport and if s/he decides to admit you into the United States they will stamp your new passport with an admission stamp along with the annotation "VIOPP" (visa in other passport). Do not try to remove the visa from your old passport and stick it into the new valid passport. If you do so, your visa will no longer be valid.