Recommendation for a rheumatologist?

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
I put this yesterday in the North Coast forum but realize today that I should have put the question to everyone. So here goes:

As the title says, I am looking for a recommendation for a rheumatologist. If none is available in Puerto Plata or Santiago I will travel to SD. Any language but preferably English or French.

My arthritis is acting up!

Thank you for any suggestions!

May 31, 2014
I have been told there are "very few" good rheumatologists in the DR. I have been to several as I have RA.

Dr. William Jana is considered one of the top. He did some of his training in the US but is older. He is very well known in the medical field as he has held government health posts in the past. He is in Santo Domingo. I don't have his contact info on hand. He speaks English.

Tiring of going to the capital for checkups and treatment, I have recently started seeing Dr. Josseilyn Then at HOMS. I have found her to be thorough, personable, and knowledgeable. Another expat recommended her to me as he had a recurrence of a rare auto-immune condition and worked with her until it was determined he needed treatment no available in the DR and he returned to his home country. I don't know how well she speaks English b/c I am fluent in Spanish. She has read all my American medical records and she understood the questions my DH asked in English.

Most doctors read English (or at least medical English) fairly well as so much medical research and texts are in English. If you have a medical history in English or can write up what you are experiencing it may help when seeing a doctor for the first time.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I have been told there are "very few" good rheumatologists in the DR. I have been to several as I have RA.

Dr. William Jana is considered one of the top. He did some of his training in the US but is older. He is very well known in the medical field as he has held government health posts in the past. He is in Santo Domingo. I don't have his contact info on hand. He speaks English.

Tiring of going to the capital for checkups and treatment, I have recently started seeing Dr. Josseilyn Then at HOMS. I have found her to be thorough, personable, and knowledgeable. Another expat recommended her to me as he had a recurrence of a rare auto-immune condition and worked with her until it was determined he needed treatment no available in the DR and he returned to his home country. I don't know how well she speaks English b/c I am fluent in Spanish. She has read all my American medical records and she understood the questions my DH asked in English.

Most doctors read English (or at least medical English) fairly well as so much medical research and texts are in English. If you have a medical history in English or can write up what you are experiencing it may help when seeing a doctor for the first time.

Not necessary to see a RA more than 2 times a year if you are lucky enough to be using the gold standard drugs, humira or enbrel. TNF inhibitors. A friend of mine is a distributor for Abbot the Drug Company. In the past I have been bringing it to the DR refrigerated for some Doctor friends of mine.

Humira is very costly $800 a syringe. I can bring a one year supply at dead cost. This not an advertisement but if you have a Prescription from your Doctor. Pm me if you want it. It will be my pleasure to help.

Last edited: