Permanent residency renewal question

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My permanent residency expires in a couple of weeks so I've started getting all the documents together for renewal. I got my good conduct certificate in Higuey today. I can't find the checklist for permanent residency renewal on the DGM website Direccion General de Migracion, but a legal firm's website has this one: Requisitos para obtener o renovar residencia temporal o permanente F&C Abogados

It says my passport has to be valid for at least 18 months. Mine is up for renewal in 10 months... is this really going to be a problem?

REQUISITOS PARA LA RENOVACI?N RESIDENCIA PERMANENTE.

Ser? renovada en el t?rmino del primer a?o, y las dem?s renovaciones se har?n por el t?rmino de cuatro (4) a?os.

Para la renovaci?n de la Residencia Permanente, el residente extranjero deber? depositar ante la D.G.M., los siguientes documentos:

1. Formulario de solicitud de renovaci?n.

2. Presentaci?n del Carnet de Residencia vigente y dep?sito de una copia.

3. Presentaci?n de la C?dula de Identidad y una copia.

4. Certificaci?n de No antecedentes penales, emitido por la Procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica expedida en no m?s de treinta (30) d?as anteriores a la solicitud.

5. Examen realizado por un m?dico autorizado por la D.G.M.

6. Dos (2) fotograf?as de frente recientes tama?o 2?2. Sin joyas o accesorios y las Orejas descubiertas.

7. Copia Pasaporte con dieciocho (18) meses m?nimos de vigencia.

8. Carta de Garant?a firmada ante notario p?blico, por una persona solvente. Dominicana o extranjera con residencia permanente, mediante la cual se responsabilice respecto a las condiciones morales y econ?micas, gastos de manutenci?n y repatriaci?n; si fuere necesario, del solicitante, legalizada por la procuradur?a General de la Rep?blica, Anexar fotocopia legible del garante de ambos lados, con soporte econ?mico anexo.

Todos los documentos en la D.G.M. se presentan en idioma espa?ol, acompa?ados de cuatro (4) juegos de copias, a los fines de archivo y control de los organismos de depuraci?n.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It could be..... check with an official.

In the US, I have been rejected until I renewed.... and it was longer than 18 months -- long for so much time The Cdn gov't questioned why I wanted a renewal
Dueling Govt's..

They usually want to see that your citizenship is 'intact' .... at least 18 months as far as RD is concerned

BTW, no penalty for the first 30 days of expiry is my understanding

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Verdict? Painless but not swift.

I got my renewed residency card yesterday, after starting the process in the first week of June. It took about three visits to the office in Ver?n and one morning spent in Higuey getting the buena conducta.

First of all, I was told most of the requisites listed on the site I copied in the OP were unnecessary like the letters from the bank and employer as proof of solvency. All I had to present was the form - the one they give you, not the one you can download from the site, the certificate of good conduct and several photocopies of my passport, residencia and c?dula. The passport expiry date was not an issue.

I had to go for blood and urine tests and a chest x-ray and was told to wait 2 weeks before picking up the card - they send all the paperwork to Santo Domingo.

Total cost was less than RD$13,000: 8,000 for renewal, 4,500 or so for the medical tests and 300 or so for the buena conducta.

The staff in the Ver?n office are pleasant and helpful and the service is personalised - when I went to pick up the card yesterday the man there said - "yes, yours has arrived" - before I even handed him the receipt. The three or four times I went to the office there was no one else or no more than one other person being served.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Verdict? Painless but not swift.

I got my renewed residency card yesterday, after starting the process in the first week of June. It took about three visits to the office in Ver?n and one morning spent in Higuey getting the buena conducta.

First of all, I was told most of the requisites listed on the site I copied in the OP were unnecessary like the letters from the bank and employer as proof of solvency. All I had to present was the form - the one they give you, not the one you can download from the site, the certificate of good conduct and several photocopies of my passport, residencia and c?dula. The passport expiry date was not an issue.

I had to go for blood and urine tests and a chest x-ray and was told to wait 2 weeks before picking up the card - they send all the paperwork to Santo Domingo.

Total cost was less than RD$13,000: 8,000 for renewal, 4,500 or so for the medical tests and 300 or so for the buena conducta.

The staff in the Ver?n office are pleasant and helpful and the service is personalised - when I went to pick up the card yesterday the man there said - "yes, yours has arrived" - before I even handed him the receipt. The three or four times I went to the office there was no one else or no more than one other person being served.

Just renewed mine in Santo Domingo a couple of weeks ago. My passport had about 7 months only to run but that was not even mentioned......only weird thing in the process after being fingerprinted, was having to provide two photographs "for the file" because the official photo for the carnet can't be duplicated in the file. So, since us "extranjeros" cannot use the photo service in the "Passport" section, I had to go outside, across the street, sit in a broken plastic chair against the wall with the photographer's assistant holding a big piece of cardboard above my head to give the right shade, have my photo taken then printed out by a portable printer inside a black garbage bag.
Gave the photographer 100 pesos and got two sheets of four photos.
Took them back inside and the lady who hadn't made an issue about my passport told me she only needed two photos and gave me the rest back (for the next time). They sent me to a clinic in Gazcue that looked like someplace where Jack the Ripper might be a registrar so that I could pee in a jar in front of the nurse and have my chest X-ray. The radiographer didn't tell me to take off my shirt and I forgot that I had a pen in my pocket but 10 days later I was told that I had passed the medicals and could pick up the carnet.

All in all, quite a painless process that cost I think about 14,000 pesos including the 100 for the photographer and a 400 pesos fine for been a month overdue.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
did you ever see that nurse change her glove---- or is it just one per day or week??

blood drawn, urine sample delivered --- same hand , same glove.

I am alive---------- still --- from April renewal

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
did you ever see that nurse change her glove---- or is it just one per day or week??

blood drawn, urine sample delivered --- same hand , same glove.

I am alive---------- still --- from April renewal

I asked the nurse to put on new gloves and she did.
Happened to me about 8 years ago at the Santo Domingo equivalent of the DVLA where you get your driver's licence. I was up to the counter for the blood test, and asked the nurse to use new gloves and a new needle. She started to yell me the riot act and the manager walked in to see what was all the noise about. I told him and he ordered her to change the gloves and the needle. So she did, and when I was through the Dominican guy behind me in the line asked the nurse to change the gloves and needle.......she looked him straight in the eye and told him in no uncertain terms exactly what she thought of his mother and grandmother, said that she'd already changed her gloves enough for one day and if he wanted a new needle he would have to come back tomorrow early enough to be the first in the line!!!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I've never had an issue with used needles. Every time I've gone they've opened a new one right in front of me.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I asked the nurse to put on new gloves and she did.
Happened to me about 8 years ago at the Santo Domingo equivalent of the DVLA where you get your driver's licence. I was up to the counter for the blood test, and asked the nurse to use new gloves and a new needle. She started to yell me the riot act and the manager walked in to see what was all the noise about. I told him and he ordered her to change the gloves and the needle. So she did, and when I was through the Dominican guy behind me in the line asked the nurse to change the gloves and needle.......she looked him straight in the eye and told him in no uncertain terms exactly what she thought of his mother and grandmother, said that she'd already changed her gloves enough for one day and if he wanted a new needle he would have to come back tomorrow early enough to be the first in the line!!!

unfathomable !!!

we got new needles - but old glove (singular)

and I used the old two hand manoeuvre for the urine sample...

stood back 3 feet and let her rip.........
nailed that cup !!!

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Really? re-using needles? I find that hard to believe. are you referring to the plastic piece that guides the tube? Or are you suggesting that a needle punctures the skin of more than one person? no way!

Gloves are kabuki theater. Skin is as effective as a barrier. Handwashing is the single most effective means to stop the spread of infection. If that nurse or any healthcare provider is re-using needles it doesn't matter how often gloves are being changed.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I worked in a hospital here for 10 years.
The word "Disposable" on supplies only meant "Disposable" when you felt like it!!!!!!
They re used a LOT of things that came into contact with more than one patient!
The concept of "Sterile technique" is unknown to them.
"Cross Contamination"??????
No CLUE!!!!
"Buyer Beware"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC