Motorcycle registration in DR crossing from Haiti

D

derekmi

Hello all,

I'm working and living in Haiti at the moment. When my job is finished I will be taking my motorbike to DR for a 5-6 weeks. I'm wondering if I need to take any legal steps to ride my bike into the country. The bike has full title, insurance, etc. in Haiti. Not sure if its possible to just ride across the border or if they will want any specific documentation or any associated fees. Ideally I would like to sell it as well in DR to avoid having to double back, but I'm guessing I would need to be a resident or have DR visa of some sort.

Thanks for any help!

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I have seen vehicles with Haitian license plates driving in the DR, so somehow it must be possible. If you want to sell it here you are "importing" the bike and have to proceed accordingly.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have seen vehicles with Haitian license plates driving in the DR, so somehow it must be possible.

If you want to sell it here you are "importing" the bike and have to proceed accordingly.

mido is right, the bike cannot be sold in the DR without going through a difficult and expensive importation procedure to get it titled & registered in DR. Bring it back to Haiti to sell.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You may need a document issued by the DR in advance to bring a bike to the DR. That is the procedure when taking a DR registered vehicle to Haiti.

Additionally, there may be a temporary insurance requirement while in the DR, as there is in taking a vehicle to Haiti.

Expect a massive, confusing CF with multiple hands stuck out.

W

w0lfe

What make /model is your motorbike? My friend in Port au Prince is looking for a motorbike for the right price.