International billfishing comes to the DR

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
The triple crown of international billfishing tournaments kicks off this month with the first of the three tournaments being the 20th annual International Billfish Shootout being held in Cap Cana, DR June 5-10. This is the 5th year that this event has been held here in the DR after being moved from La Guair?, Venezuela for what should be obvious reasons. This year they have added a lay day from fishing with an afternoon beach picnic and softball homerun derby being hosted on the third day with hopes in boosting local interaction between the fishermen, and the local residents. FYI, this is a huge tournament with the purse for this leg alone being $150,000. in cash and prizes.

Next the series moves to Virgin Gourda for the Bitter End "BVI Open" July 13,14,15 and finishes with the million dollar grand finale in St. Thomas' USVI Open/ABMT Aug 7,8,9,11.

Billfishing in the DR has been gaining in popularity with the professional billfishermen. Casa De Campo held the first billfish tournament of the year March 20th-23rd with a fleet of only 16 boats catching a total of 73 blue marlin in the three days fishing. For this early in the season, this is a huge amount of fish caught.

Crytonb99

Jan 25, 2010
Don't forget St. Martin Billfish Tournament from June 10-14, 2014. It will be held at Marina Fort Louis. $100,000 in cash and prizes.

See you there!!!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Exactly.. Or the marlin tournement in Boca Chica at Marina Zar Par. Its been going on for years.

The Tournament I posted about is The Spanish Main series. Its the most prestigious in the world.. Usually, there is Television and media coverage which is one reason for the lay day and the local bbq and softball derby. I just think its good for the DR to get coverage for this event. These are people with money.. The same kind of people as are there friends and the others that are into billfishing that will vacation here, or invest into properties here. Just my take..