Chocolate made with cocoa grown in DR?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Where can I find chocolate that's made 100% from cocoa grown in the Dominican Republic? I love dark chocolote, but it can be regular milk chocolate.

Does it even exist?

Thanks.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
do they sell the chocolate or are they there for educational purposes and/or to visit?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Dark chocolate is made by Haitians, milk chocolate is made by Dominicans, and white chocolate is made by Gringos.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Where can I find chocolate that's made 100% from cocoa grown in the Dominican Republic? I love dark chocolote, but it can be regular milk chocolate.

Does it even exist?

Thanks.

Frank12 might know something about this.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Glen Herdman from Cabarete makes and sells 100% organic Dominican cacao products. Herdman Foods Srl @ 809-320-7715 is in the free trade zone in POP and their products are sold at some farmacias in the area as well as end caps at Playero check out aisles. I'm sure a phone call will tell you where you can purchase in others areas of the country.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have been here in the DR for six weeks doing nothing else (almost nothing else) except sourcing good chocolate made in country. Quality is often one's own preference and price willing to pay. Chocal is making good chocolate. I have been there three times on this trip. Another group outside of Hato Mayor is also doing a nice job. They sell
Product and base chocolate to the Choco Museo
In SD and Punta Cana. The Rizek's sell a good dark + more at the Sendero. Diana Munne is in Agora Mall
In SD, Xocolat. Some women outside of Yamasa are also
doing some neat things with carmalizing sugar on the outside of a hand peeled roasted cacao bean.
Another group to visit is at the turn off to Chocal and are called Choco Lala and are carmalizing a little sugar and ginger
On the outside of hand peeled roasted beans. Another near Joba Arriba will
Soon be doing their own products. Sorry Glen , I 've tasted your bar and you have to up your game. Spent an hour looking for your factory last week with no luck. Will see if I get back up there on this trip now I have the number.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i went to xocolat in agora mall and bought some truffles. 45 pesos each, i believe. very tiny things. but incredibly tasty.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
White chocolate is cacao butter , milk powder and sugar. The confectioner stuff has some type of vegetable oil added.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012

Does it even exist?

Thanks.

One of my favorite chocolates on the planet.. godiva :)