Beach access in El Cortecito area..?

D

delococo

My first trip to Punta Cana and I am wondering how difficult it is going to be to get access to the beach along the Bavaro/El Cortecito strip..?
All the maps I look at show nothing but hotels and resorts blocking access to the beach...
And, if I do find access are those beaches going to be packed with guests from those huge resorts..?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Yes, there is access to public/semi-private beaches on either side of the Cortecito Market, and no they are not overwhelmed by hotel tourists. North of El Cortecito on Avenida Italia you can access the White Sands Residencial and Arena Gorda Condominium complex beach (one beach) from Plaza Bavaro, and south of El Cortecito and before Los Corales on Avenida Italia, there is an entrance to a beach called Playa Matilde. or some such female named beach.

These beaches do fill up on weekends with locals so your best bet is weekdays if your looking for choice spots and available chairs. The former access is more difficult to navigate to, but if your set on it PM me and I'll see you get to your destination. Enjoy.

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
There are 2 public entrances on either side of the Barcelo Dominican Beach. The north entrance is the road leading to the old El pulpo cojo restaurant There is lots of parking.
The south entrance leads to Beach Residency condo. Nicer part of the beach but parking is nil.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
There's also public beach access near Onno's/Captain Cook's, just where Avenida Alamania takes the hard turn towards Grand Palladium (heading north) or Vista Sol (heading south). There's parking along the street heading toward Onno's.

dolcevita

Sep 24, 2008
Delcoco,

I asked same question here about
1.public access and
2. public beaches

in El Corte....but my topic has been erased.

This is very sensitive question and don't expect to get any reliable information (expect this topic to disappear soon).
You can't access the White Sands beach unless you are hotel guest, besides you would need a car to get there, it's far away.
There is NO El Pulpo Cojo restaurant at Playa Matilde (Vista Sol hotel) or any other beach bar. No drinks, no chairs, nothing....Not a single palm or any kind of shade.

Onno's/Captain Cook's has access but there is no beach there. Not a foot of send to seat on. You can only wallk around.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Delcoco,

I asked same question here about
1.public access and
2. public beaches

in El Corte....but my topic has been erased.

This is very sensitive question and don't expect to get any reliable information (expect this topic to disappear soon).
You can't access the White Sands beach unless you are hotel guest, besides you would need a car to get there, it's far away.
There is NO El Pulpo Cojo restaurant at Playa Matilde (Vista Sol hotel) or any other beach bar. No drinks, no chairs, nothing....Not a single palm or any kind of shade.

Onno's/Captain Cook's has access but there is no beach there. Not a foot of send to seat on. You can only wallk around.

You mean this thread? http://dr1.com/forums/living/141727-el-cortecito-beach-public-access-vista-sol.html#post1393080

Pulpo Cojo burnt down several months ago btw.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

There is indeed beach/sand there, and lounge chairs at Captain Cooks. You have to be a customer at either one to use the seating present.

The nearby resorts have their own beach lounges, so unless the guests are eat at either place, they're not using the chairs.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Delcoco,

It all depends on what your idea of a beach is, doesn't it?
If you are staying in the area of Bavaro and not in an "all-in"... good luck.
Obviously a person who lives there and has easy transportation will have found some form of access to some form of beach,
but for the unwitting soul who arrives with a blow up beach ball looking for a day of fun in the sun....I feel their pain.
The "beach" in front of Captain Cook is all of approx 10/12 feet depth at the lowest tide and what is there is full of cigarette butts and other assorted debris. If there is any shade to dream of, you can be very sure that it has been taken by one or several of the local salesmen and/or security guards.
The "vestidas de novias" are good though as long as they are Presidente.
I'm not much of a Pollyanna when it comes to El Cortecito.....sorry.
Long story.

Edit...
I should clarify that the 10/12 foot depth is from the water's edge to where the tables/chairs begin for the resto and not the entire beach area.

Last edited: