Exotic Animals

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
On the Moca road between Jamao & Sabaneta we noticed a sign offering for sale Bengal Leopards. Are exotic animals allowed to be raised on the island? It seems the livestock & human populations would be at risk if they got set free. The sign gave us pause(pun intended) for concern!

Aug 6, 2006
Maybe this is a special breed of housecat.
If not, a person would have to be insane to keep wild felines as pets.

Perhaps a wiser choice than hyenas or boas, but still a bad idea.

Aug 6, 2006
There are a number of breeds of mutant housecats that are engineered to look like tigers, cheetahs, leopards and such.

In my opinion, the spotted ones (that look like leopards, jaguars and cheetahs) are much more impressive than those that presume to look like tigers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This is a serious breeder... he 's Cdn.

These cats are quite popular.... he advertised last Christmas in the Cabarete paper/blurb.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I know a secret formula. Regular street cat + some hair bleach and color = exotic leopard cat.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Careful boys and girls, Hernandez gets excited when he sees young kittens for sale.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
at 7 am this morning i was awaken by sudden pain from having a set of very sharp feline teeth sunk in my big toe. this was just a gentle reminder from one of our cats that she can see the bottom of the food bowl and death of starvation is imminent so why not start nibbling on fresh flesh before she is too weak to rip the meat off my bones. i do not need wild cats to hunt me in my bedroom, i put myself to danger every time i fall asleep side by side with a purring beast.

Aug 6, 2006
Bleaching and dying a housecat to resemble a tiger or an leopard would be difficult even if the critter was anesthetized. I invite you to try it.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Many years ago, a guy in Montana tried breeding large yellow housecats with ocelots and bobcats. He was successful at breeding them, but ended up with cats that he couldn't sell because they were too much like wild animals. He was unsuccessful at domesticating them and then the SPCA stepped in as did fish and wildlife bringing his experiment to an end. I'd like to see these cats firsthand.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bengal cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

its a relatively new breed - a cross or hybrid, you might call it - accepted by many but not all cat registries.

You should go visit. The man, Peter, has a sustainable farming experiment he's working on.... and has attracted the attention of the Gates Foundation with it -- so he told me

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Many years ago, a guy in Montana tried breeding large yellow housecats with ocelots and bobcats. He was successful at breeding them, but ended up with cats that he couldn't sell because they were too much like wild animals. He was unsuccessful at domesticating them and then the SPCA stepped in as did fish and wildlife bringing his experiment to an end. I'd like to see these cats firsthand.

it took three generations to something domestic..... says Wikipedia

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
You should go visit. The man, Peter, has a sustainable farming experiment he's working on.... and has attracted the attention of the Gates Foundation with it -- so he told me

Is this the place on the left going towards Jamao with the Rancho sign at the entrance. I gave a young Canadian girl a ride from the entrance to Kite Beach while she was waiting for the gua gua. She told me her parents were raising horses and going big into the organic farming.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is this the place on the left going towards Jamao with the Rancho sign at the entrance. I gave a young Canadian girl a ride from the entrance to Kite Beach while she was waiting for the gua gua. She told me her parents were raising horses and going big into the organic farming.

yup, on the left as you go to Moca.... sign at gate...they 're Cdn

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wait, wait, wait. 600 buck per each fleabag?

dv8 eyes her 3 cats and a gallon bottle of cloro

here, kitty, kitty, here, kitty, kitty...