La Zona

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Those that have been following my threads might sense that I like, amongst many other things, language (linguistics) in general, and the common speak in particular. Although probably no big thing, I'm coming to the realization that Dominican speak for the tourist East is "la Zona." With all deference to la Zona Colonial, am I right or wrong on this. I want to incorporate it into my talk as soon as possible, but want to be sure about this.

No doubt I could ask a local and probably still may, but thought it would be neat to share.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Those that have been following my threads might sense that I like, amongst many other things, language (linguistics) in general, and the common speak in particular. Although probably no big thing, I'm coming to the realization that Dominican speak for the tourist East is "la Zona." With all deference to la Zona Colonial, am I right or wrong on this. I want to incorporate it into my talk as soon as possible, but want to be sure about this.

No doubt I could ask a local and probably still may, but thought it would be neat to share.

"incorporate it into my talk"? - way too much thought on this if you ask me. Have an ice cold Presidente and head outside and take a walk....enjoy yourself and don't overthink this kind of stuff. In Santo Domingo La Zona referes to the Zona Colonial plain and simple. Same for tourists and residents alike.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
"incorporate it into my talk"? - way too much thought on this if you ask me. Have an ice cold Presidente and head outside and take a walk....enjoy yourself and don't overthink this kind of stuff. In Santo Domingo La Zona referes to the Zona Colonial plain and simple. Same for tourists and residents alike.

A bit presumptuous on your part. Why did YOU give it any thought at all? Why just not post a reply or find another "Zona" to make you feel relevant?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What a thought provoking thread, makes me want to log off for another week.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
What a thought provoking thread, makes me want to log off for another week.

Listen Tambo, don't ridicule my posts publicly and then send a contrite PM. I thread when I have a question and/or feel that it might generate/disseminate information, and try to be creative with my posts in general. I'm okay w/starting a thread that generates no replies. No replies and dislike buttons are enough feedback for me to get the message. I'm not okay w/public negativity directed at my contributions. To any one that is so inclined, , , , back the f__ off.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
jabe

With all due respect asking question like this to an audience of mostly Spanish butchering gringos will not get the desired results.

BTW, I know you are a natural bilingual, although not really Dominican per the locals definition (not important) so my advice would be to take advantage of your well educated Spanish, albeit with a distinct accent, instead of possibly trying to learn all the catchy phrases and nuances. Dominicans will respect you more for doing this in fact. Keep in mind Dominicans love all things foreign and many that come back home will bring an "accent" with them to distinguish themselves, haha. You already have this advantage plus you speak correctly so make the most of it!

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
jabe

With all due respect asking question like this to an audience of mostly Spanish butchering gringos will not get the desired results.

BTW, I know you are a natural bilingual, although not really Dominican per the locals definition (not important) so my advice would be to take advantage of your well educated Spanish, albeit with a distinct accent, instead of possibly trying to learn all the catchy phrases and nuances. Dominicans will respect you more for doing this in fact. Keep in mind Dominicans love all things foreign and many that come back home will bring an "accent" with them to distinguish themselves, haha. You already have this advantage plus you speak correctly so make the most of it!

Thanks Chip. You're the voice of reason. I wasn't appealing to butchers like Tambo, rather to those that know the Jargon. Chiri explained best. Also, the expression "la Zona," referring to la Zona Touristica del Este, came from a well educated professional.

Now, with all respect to you Chip, I believe you to be a gentleman, no one can hope to know someone from an online forum. For those that think that you can, well, , , , YOU DON'T KNOW ME. Stop making wild assumptions at my expense.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"OK",...Let's Make This "Ambian Thread" A little MORE FUN!!!

"La Zona" in Dominican slang, refers to the area between a woman's anus, and vagina.
It is neither one, hence it is called "La Zona"!
In English it is called the "Tai'nt"!
Because it "Tain't" the "PUSSY", and it "Tain't" the "A$$HOLE" either!
I'm NOT a Doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!
"TRUE or FALSE"?????????
YOU DECIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Film at Eleven"!!!!!!

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
"La Zona" in Dominican slang, refers to the area between a woman's anus, and vagina.
It is neither one, hence it is called "La Zona"!
In English it is called the "Tai'nt"!
Because it "Tain't" the "PUSSY", and it "Tain't" the "A$$HOLE" either!
I'm NOT a Doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!
"TRUE or FALSE"?????????
YOU DECIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Film at Eleven"!!!!!!

This is why you leave threads be; because someone like CC (it's CC most of the time) will inject some "T'aint" instead of some ain't.

Mar 1, 2009
CC usually speaks of things he doesn't get enough of.
"The drummer" suffers from a chronic case of foot and mouth. He really outta get that CHECKED, he might have a lump in their.
There are those that unless whores and booze are being discussed, they feel that any other discussion is a waste of time concerning their mongering.
As it were, there are also the many bullies and jerks that ruin threads (am I one of those????? teeeeeeeeheeeeee)....:)
Ay conho, bueno....Back to the topic, (I'll try not to RANT).
Jabe, when I was growing up in Santo Domingo. I always asked myself why was it that they referred to "Ciudad Nueva" as such?
Someone explained that it was the extension of La ciudad antigua, this being the old Colonial dwellings that had been used as prime real estate for so long until, Trujillo helped enlarge the city.

The city was then called, Ciudad Trujillo.

I guess from those times until now it's been called La Zona Colonial.

Honestly, I've never heard it called "La Zona". I don't even like that name personally.

I'm pretty sure you already knew all this, your a smart dude.

So anyway, continue with your quest for linguistic knowledge. It's one of the most purest and beautiful of pursuits, it's sort of being ruined with these new electronic translators that makes it "easier" to convert languages.

It's one of the constant attempts to homogenize and make us all the same.
I'm also biased towards it since I have a translation business and it hurts my pocket.
I'll be honest when I actually have an agenda, since I am Dominican and Dominicans usually have an agenda hahahahaha.....

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Don't be so hard on him LC. It takes intelligence to post as he does. You wrote about electronic translators "It's one of the constant attempts to homogenize and make us all the same." I think that describes CC too. I look at it as synthesis, and the ability synthesize is a powerful thing. Sex and what not are his tools of choice.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I always have to go "Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum" when posters have to "PSYCHO"analyze me?????????????????????

It has been said,By ME mostly, that,........."If God made ANYTHING better than "PU$$Y", he kept it for Himself"!!!!!!!
I have found nothing to change my mind!

"OH"!!!
"ANAL PU$$Y"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC