Toyota RAV

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
After reading numerous threads the most suitable vehicle seems to be a jeep/suv/Toyota . Bearing in mind i like out of the way beaches , off road stuff etc etc

question for someone with extensive knowledge of this car

if i bought a second hand RAV Toyota ( see supercarros) aged 2-6 years ( i.e the car has been on the road for 2-3 years in the Dr)
what typical mechanical problems might i expect to see after being on DR roads?

Im tryin to determine if its best to get a second hand car. Buy a heap of new parts, coils tires etc and refurbish it, as ive hear parts and labour are reasonalble well priced for Toyotas , as opposed to buying the same model for $20000us more brand new ($40000us)

However one guy i know says dont buy a second hand car in the DR under any circumstances. What are your thoughts?
second hand and invest $5 thousand into new parts etc and buy it for $20000us
Toyota RAV4 2008 En Venta en Rep?blica Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #386011
or brand new; $40000us
Toyota RAV4 2014 En Venta en Rep?blica Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #383460

cheers

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
It all depends if you have access to a trusted and good mechanic.

If you have access to one, then take him along for a test drive and check-up, als promise him the work for whatever he can find. That way you will have a good idea going in, then use his discoveries to negotiate with the seller.

If you don't have access to one - the potential of trouble goes way, way up..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
CARFAX any used vehicle. Trusted mechanic is a very good idea. Virtually all odometers on used vehicles are set back. You can always import one from Florida for about 40% of what you paid for it in Florida. A RAV4 is not a serious off road vehicle, but should get you to those off road beaches.

I would buy new if I could.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
YES use CARFAX before you buy anything. One used car we looked at looked brand new, road very nice, Trusted (joke) mechanic said I was "good to go" (found out he gets kickbacks from the car lot) and we checked carfax. It left Florida 2 weeks before with 100,000 more miles on it that what it currently showed and had a "junk title" in the US.

We ended up buying a new RAV-4 and been very happy with that decision. If you are buying used try to stay away from the lots an buy from an expat that is leaving to move back home. Chances are he has taken care of his vehicle and my even have brought it into the country himself.

Bob K

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
ahhh, the space odyssey of buying used Cars in the DR, even the NEW car dealers reputable ones dont "warrant" the odometer readings... its a crap shoot.... if you can try and buy New... Come to think of it buying most big ticket items in the DR is generally a drain on your peace of mind, when buying something should be fun..

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
After reading numerous threads the most suitable vehicle seems to be a jeep/suv/Toyota . Bearing in mind i like out of the way beaches , off road stuff etc etc

if i bought a second hand RAV Toyota ( see supercarros) aged 2-6 years ( i.e the car has been on the road for 2-3 years in the Dr)

Im tryin to determine if its best to get a second hand car. Buy a heap of new parts, coils tires etc and refurbish it, as ive hear parts and labour are reasonalble well priced for Toyotas , as opposed to buying the same model for $20000us more brand new ($40000us)

However one guy i know says dont buy a second hand car in the DR under any circumstances. What are your thoughts?
or brand new; $40000us

cheers

Toyota Rav 4 is a reliable vehicle but it is not made for off roading. You will need something more substantial with the availability of bigger tires and all wheel drive. Perhaps look at Jeep or Mitsubishi Montero. Buying a used car is ok depending on who is selling it to you. I would be very cautious with a used car dealer vs a private individual. Try to find an individual who has a maintenance record of service and is the original owner. It is difficult but can be done. Buenos suarte.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
You can buy a used car thats been recently imported and doesn't yet have a significant DR exposure. The Carfax report will have the last USA odometer reading, or just add 50% to what a Dominican dealer says it is as a rule of thumb.

Mar 1, 2009
There is a dealership up north in NY called Majorworld, they claim that if you buy from them, they will help with the shipping of the car.
I called them, but I didn't really get a clear response. I'm holding off until I'm actually in NY so that I can speak to them in person and I'm saving up the cash to make an offer.
LC

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
Toyota Rav 4 is a reliable vehicle but it is not made for off roading. You will need something more substantial with the availability of bigger tires and all wheel drive. Perhaps look at Jeep or Mitsubishi Montero. Buying a used car is ok depending on who is selling it to you. I would be very cautious with a used car dealer vs a private individual. Try to find an individual who has a maintenance record of service and is the original owner. It is difficult but can be done. Buenos suarte.

And around i go again wondering what is the best car for me
time and time again i hear toyota toyota toyotaaaaaaaaaaaaa- due to the availability of cheap parts and labor.
What if i buy JEEP... do these peasants know how to fix a JEEP in baharona, punta kuuantaaaa, or banga chica. Because all i hear is that they are only familiar with Toyota and thats it.
my preference is actually a Suzuki jimny ( price, milage, jeep type vehicle)or terios with large tires and pumped up suspension. Thats what i really want and they are reasonably priced. I did consider jeep but the gas mileage is appalling. I may as well just buy what i really want which included the Porsche Cayman...maybe ill buy a Jimny and a porsche. God im glad i dont have expensive children. If i did id be tossing up between buying a carton of milk and a bagel

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
time and time again i hear toyota toyota toyotaaaaaaaaaaaaa- due to the availability of cheap parts and labor.
What if i buy JEEP... do these peasants know how to fix a JEEP in baharona, punta kuuantaaaa, or banga chica. Because all i hear is that they are only familiar with Toyota and thats it.
my preference is actually a Suzuki jimny ( price, milage, jeep type vehicle)or terios with large tires and pumped up suspension. Thats what i really want and they are reasonably priced. I did consider jeep but the gas mileage is appalling. I may as well just buy what i really want which included the Porsche Cayman...maybe ill buy a Jimny and a porsche. God im glad i dont have expensive children. If i did id be tossing up between buying a carton of milk and a bagel

Lots of late model Suzuki's around. Why not buy a Toyota land cruiser , great vehicle, local mechanics have experience with them and they are perfect 4 x 4's. Local peasants...eh, nice condensation.

katalina

Jan 14, 2014
I drive a 1999 toyota corolla which we bought used about 5 years ago. It was imported from miami so is a USA car. We never checked the car fax, everybody is different, my husband just looked it over carefully and said offer a bit lower than the asking price and that was it, we drove it away.
It has been a very good used car, we have repaired several small things, but nothing major. My cousin is the mechanic so nobody else ever touches it not even to change the oil.

It is not very good for the mountain road up to pico diego so we borrow my cousins 4x4 suzuki when we visit family up there.

I vote toyota all the way for the DR and our next car will probably be a rav 4.

We are in Montreal now without a car but will soon be buying one and that too will probably be a toyota.

The 99 corolla has been promised to my 15 year old son so he is guarding it at our home in the DR with his life or so I have heard so we have no intention of getting rid of it for a long time.....like I said it has been a very good car.

We are looking for a good used motor and transmision for the toyota and we see that we can buy a used car complete here for less than we would pay for just the motor and tranny in the DR. We are going to ship a container load of stuff to the DR in October so that will be included....at least thats the plan.

Everybodys needs are different, if it was not for my husband and cousin taking care of the car I would be screwed. That goes for Canada also IMHO

good luck with your vehicle choice :)

Aug 6, 2006
The difference between a dealer and a previous owner is that, although both of them lie about the car, the dealer knows less and is a much more experienced liar. The previous owner has driven the car for a while, probably knows stuff that he won't tell you directly, but has far less experience at lying. Never tell anyone that you know they are lying, just discount the price when it is probable that there is something fishy.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I lived in LT and bought a used Mitsubishi Montero and anytime I brought to the repair shop they had no problem doiing any repairs. Porsche Cayan will run you in the DR around $85,000usd and they don't except American Express. Good luck with your search.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com

or brand new; $40000us

cheers

1. Toyota or Mitsubishi made in Japan for the American market (NOT made in US, Malysia, etc., for the Japanese, Mexican or whatever market). Toyota or Mitsubishi have good used (fresh from Mexican chop shops) parts everywhere here, and they're cheap. Plus shade tree mechanics know them better than less popular brands.

2. Freshly imported from the US auction lots never roaded in the DR (Doms don't change oil, etc.).

The VIN tells it all (google it), and there's a metal tag in the driver's door jam that also has info so that you know the car is made IN Japan, for the American market.

Example:
Mitsubishis can be made in Malyasia (Indo, Aus) knock-down plants for the right hand drive market. If they have an inventory problem in their smaller RHD markets they dump the excess after LH conversion. You may get the signals and wiper collective controls reversed. And all the under-facia plumbing and non-motor stuff in front of the firewall can be a nightmare of weird parts — because of Frankenstein sourcing of goods to the line from any vendor/make in order to remain competitive with the homeboys in Japan with their re-exported oddities.​

Then there's the obvious disadvantage of American "workmanship" if it's Japanese but built in the U.S.

Once again. Only Japanese, made IN Japan, for the American market, direct from the U.S. auction lots. Google the VIN numbers for mileage, repair history, owners, etc.

(No BS. I'm a former international management consultant to the auto industry).

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I was a former consultant to chop shops, if you know what I mean. Love me some NY Strip Steak. Those of us in the "industry" will know what I am talking about. I think we are getting a little too anal about finding a vehicle. Find a private individual. Take the care for a test ride. Take it too a mechanic to check it out. If you like it buy it. It is used. You will find problems and need to fix them. If you stick with, Toyota, Hondo or Mitsubishi you will probably have relatively good luck in the long term.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Buy,...ANYTHING TOYOTA in the DR!
Parts,Parts, and "PARTS" are available and cheap, and Dominicanos KNOW THEM!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC