Canadian Dies in Fatal ATV Accident

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Las Terrenas, El Portillo Area
A Canadian woman (40) died when the ATV she was travelling on with her husband crashed into a tree.

donP

Source: Facebook

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Last edited:

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
RIP. It's ironic and unfortunate that joie de vivre is fraught with added mortal risk.

Last edited:

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Very sad story. Unfortunately, some people think that driving ATV is safe and easy, even if they have never tried to do it before. So they rent it and drive it with no knowledge and no experience about recommended speed, brake distance, risk of rollover, etc...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Very sad story. Unfortunately, some people think that driving ATV is safe and easy, even if they have never tried to do it before. So they rent it and drive it with no knowledge and no experience about recommended speed, brake distance, risk of rollover, etc...

those things are some of the most lethal vehicles around. they are not the kind of thing that novices should take risks with. this is so very sad..

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
those things are some of the most lethal vehicles around. they are not the kind of thing that novices should take risks with. this is so very sad..

I'm renting one for basic transportation now. They do have a higher center of gravity, and are lighter. The bouncy wheels help a little with stability but part of me wants more air in the tires for a quieter ride and less rolling resistance. I know the drivers behind me curse when I slow down at curves but I certainly don't need to go flying from it while in motion.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm renting one for basic transportation now. They do have a higher center of gravity, and are lighter. The bouncy wheels help a little with stability but part of me wants more air in the tires for a quieter ride and less rolling resistance. I know the drivers behind me curse when I slow down at curves but I certainly don't need to go flying from it while in motion.

let them laugh. he who laughs last laughs best..

May 5, 2007

Exactly what happened to dumb ole me. I have ridden motors most of my life so I figured how hard could an ATV be? Rented one on the Hatfield/McCoy trail system in West Virginia, gave the guy my credit card and he showed me controls and off I went

after an hour or so I realized the damm thing was just about unstoppable Went up severe (double diamond I think) hills crossed creeks etc

after my time was about up I started back to campground on level gravel road, took left hand of bars to look at watch and hit rut in road, slow motion sensation of flying through air ATV is in ditch, I managed to land on the only large rock in road Laid there for a few minutes slowly checking each extremity for function, got up and placed 4 wheeled tank in reverse, drove out of ditch and returned it with only damage to me

Next day, oh ****!!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I was planning to rent one this summer....just changed my mind :(

The sewage manhole on Portillo roads are deadly, I know someone who had an accident too as he was riding at night and the road is dark. I was told that people steal them, melt them, then sell them (i could have misunderstood though as the conversation was in Spanish)...I just can't understand what people would do with covers.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The sewage manhole on Portillo roads are deadly, I know someone who had an accident too as he was riding at night and the road is dark. I was told that people steal them, melt them, then sell them (i could have misunderstood though as the conversation was in Spanish)...I just can't understand what people would do with covers.

They sell them for scrap.....anything for a peso.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was planning to rent one this summer....just changed my mind :(

good idea. leave those things alone....

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dangerous ATV's

The sewage manhole on Portillo roads are deadly, I know someone who had an accident too as he was riding at night and the road is dark. I was told that people steal them...

Yes, people steal them for the metal and sell them to scrap dealers, a highly criminal act, IMO. :tired:

I was told that they now spot weld the covers to the bases to avoid the ongoing theft in that area (LT- El Portillo road).
{I remember that they exchanged the steel ones for fibreglass ones in Santiago some time back, but do not know whether this is still being done.}

The ATV's are indeed dangerous.

Their rental prices are just about the same as for cars.

Tourists can be seen without helmets and with sandals, speeding along on those 'quads'. I am certain that many have never sat on one before they rent.
A handle bar is not a steering wheel and often people find out too late.... :ermm:

I know of another case where a tourist cracked his skull hitting a palm tree on Punta Bonita beach.

donP

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The ATV's are indeed dangerous.

Their rental prices are just about the same as for cars.

Tourists can be seen without helmets and with sandals, speeding along on those 'quads'. I am certain that many have never sat on one before they rent.
A handle bar is not a steering wheel and often people find out too late....

All vehicles are potentially dangerous; they represent real-world applications of the principals of inelastic collisions and controlled explosions. I'll take 3 or 4 wheels over 2 (especially with wet roads) any day of the week.

With 2 wheels, it is more efficient to lean than to try and steer. With 3 or 4 wheels, leaning will simply have the person in question on the pavement looking confused. Let the handlebar do the work it's supposed to do.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
ATV Clowns

With 2 wheels, it is more efficient to lean than to try and steer. With 3 or 4 wheels, leaning will simply have the person in question on the pavement looking confused. Let the handlebar do the work it's supposed to do.

I think, what makes the ATV's dangerous is that they have 4 wheels, but are steered like a bike.
One also wants to lean sidewise in order to make good turns countering the centrifugal momentum of the high center of gravity.

Of course, it can be mastered. ;)
Proof are those Dominicans roaring down LT mainstreet on ATV's on TWO wheels... :bunny:

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
At the hospital where I worked in Boston, they are called "Donor Bikes"!
Two kidneys from an "Idiot", means two people off dialysis!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
AND, One Less IDIOT!"Win/Win,....WIN!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
At the hospital where I worked in Boston, they are called "Donor Bikes"!
Two kidneys from an "Idiot", means two people off dialysis!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
AND, One Less IDIOT!"Win/Win,....WIN!

Doner bikes yes.. but a match for a dialysis patient?? Not necessarily.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Short wheel bases & high centers of gravity make 4-wheelers unstable.