Gringo Behavior and Health Care

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I'm am so guilty!!
We love the DR for all its Beauty, (some) Freedoms and we let our "wild" flow. We continue to let our freedom flow without regard to consequences.
Don't expect a lifeguard. I've watched 3 little girls be carried out of the water on Boca Chica Beach. Crying Abuelas, responsible for them.
Another 7 yr. old with asthma died during transport to SD because there was no oxygen around.
It ain't Kansas Toto!! You better have a friend with a fast car and some one that knows stuff. There are no EMTs.
You can have the best insurance there is and you're still SOL.
Frank R. posted about the horrific problem with his daughter. She is Dominican. Imagine a gringo without ins.

Party On. Just be sure you're covered!!!!

Apr 10, 2014
My biggest concern when I am in the D.R. is what to do is if I have a medical emergency which can not wait for the next flight back to NewYork.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
My biggest concern when I am in the D.R. is what to do is if I have a medical emergency which can not wait for the next flight back to NewYork.

I've heard from a DR1er that some insurances reimburse you during the first 90 datos of your visit. You may want to check with your provider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2014
I've heard from a DR1er that some insurances reimburse you during the first 90 datos of your visit. You may want to check with your provider.

Not worried about my coverage. More concerned about correct diagnosis and treatment

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Not worried about my coverage. More concerned about correct diagnosis and treatment

If you sustain a trauma injury : cut, bone fracture etc. or an acute illness ( cardiac event ) stuff yourself in a vehicle and go to the hospital in Santiago, HOMS.
If its a minor or chronic event,cut your vacation and mongering early and man up and fly to Miami.
If you wear condoms, don't drink the water, eat cooked food you will not have to bail early

Apr 10, 2014
If you sustain a trauma injury : cut, bone fracture etc. or an acute illness ( cardiac event ) stuff yourself in a vehicle and go to the hospital in Santiago, HOMS.
If its a minor or chronic event,cut your vacation and mongering early and man up and fly to Miami.
If you wear condoms, don't drink the water, eat cooked food you will not have to bail early

Thanks but believe me I take all precautions

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Another good reason to leave after 89 days? I think the driving insurance ceases coverage after 90 days for a tourist too?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Is there anything in the DR like the US EMTALA laws? From what I have seen here on DR1 insurance, cash, or insurance plus cash is required prior to treatment. Which is fine for most things. But, what about life threatening emergencies. Are the doctors and nurses really going to let my one of my children die in the lobby of the hospital because I'm 100 pesos short, or don't have my insurance cards on me?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Another good reason to leave after 89 days? I think the driving insurance ceases coverage after 90 days for a tourist too?

We stay over 90 days, but I stop driving after the 3rd month, except very locally. Just in case. Murphy's Law seems to work overtime for me, so no chances. Not that I drive much in DR, usually with Mr. AE and he does the driving.

I'll admit that because i know I have no health coverage after those 90 days, it does worry me. Might be time to get a policy, before i get closer to 65.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Is there anything in the DR like the US EMTALA laws? From what I have seen here on DR1 insurance, cash, or insurance plus cash is required prior to treatment. Which is fine for most things. But, what about life threatening emergencies. Are the doctors and nurses really going to let my one of my children die in the lobby of the hospital because I'm 100 pesos short, or don't have my insurance cards on me?

Matilda has told the story of when she was shot in the throat - her husband had to go to the ATM before they would treat her.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Matilda has told the story of when she was shot in the throat - her husband had to go to the ATM before they would treat her.

Yea, I remember seeing that one. Nerve racking. I physically couldn't do it, just watch someone, especially a child, dying in front of me and hold my hand out for money.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Some laws have been enacted to prevent such occurrences, for what it's worth...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Some laws have been enacted to prevent such occurrences, for what it's worth...

Glad to hear that.

Both Mr. AE and I always have credit cards in our pocket when we leave the house, so it would never be an issue, but still........just the thought...