PriceSmart membership is it worth getting

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Are the prices or quality worth the price. When I browse their site it seems that almost every item is only a available online so how long to get an item if ordered online.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are products you can only get there. If you need bulk stuff, they have it and with good quality. There are some secret items I am not about to mention like:

(Hint.... beef you can eat. Cheese you can eat. House brand hot dogs that are just about the same as a Polish Kielbasa)

Oh well, the cat is out of the bag on those things.

Jan 9, 2004
Are the prices or quality worth the price. When I browse their site it seems that almost every item is only a available online so how long to get an item if ordered online.

Both quality and price.....but the best part....all in one place.

I am pleased with their selection and have had no quality issues with items I have purchased there....but the next best part is, I really believe they would honor a warranty...if needed.

Oh and don't forget the donuts. Closest thing I've found in Santiago to a Dunkin Donuts/Krispy Kreme/Tim Hortons like experience.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Both quality and price.....but the best part....all in one place.

I am pleased with their selection and have had no quality issues with items I have purchased there....but the next best part is, I really believe they would honor a warranty...if needed.

Oh and don't forget the donuts. Closest thing I've found in Santiago to a Dunkin Donuts/Krispy Kreme/Tim Hortons like experience.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I was not going to mention the donuts. And now you have let the large feline out of the container.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
(Hint.... beef you can eat. Cheese you can eat. House brand hot dogs that are just about the same as a Polish Kielbasa)
PM actually had real honest-to-god Hormel baby back ribs last week! RD$149lb!

And real pork tenderloin!

Edible whole filet!

Their meats and cheeses are the best around. Bulk items are good, also.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All the above. And that said, I really hope no more people get memberships because I hate standing in line to check out.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
I was not going to mention the donuts. And now you have let the large feline out of the container.

Sorry!

Knowing what I know, I would probably get a membership just for the donuts....and everything else I bought would be on impulse lol.

I guess we answered Bob's question.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

morganstern

Jun 4, 2014
All beef hotdogs. And...better warranty service on computers than most DR stores (1 YR vs 6 mos at most stores) And Kirkland products (Costco) which are always good.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
When you signup for a 1 year membership , you actually get 2 pricemart memberships.. I'm actually looking for another person to signup with , it will only be 750 pesos each or so instead of 1500, my membership ran out end of May. If anyone is looking to signup this could workout well for both of us .

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
When your membership end you can signup one card only for 800-1000 pesos, dont remmeber exactly but its not more then 1000.

And yes def worth it, its not as good as Costco in Canada but its def better vs other store/supermarket in the DR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I was a member for a year and let it lapse.

I didn't find enough compelling products to hold my interest.

I got spammed by e-mails for months afterward.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, other than he cheese there's probably not too many food products I would be interested in. I am more interested in the tires, computers...etc. Thanks for the reviews.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a friend got the membership for us and he pays for it. i would not bother if i had to do it myself. the prices are nothing to write home about and the portions are ginormous, for a household of two it makes no sense. but since we have a membership already we buy some products there: dog food, sand for cats, washing powder and few more things. it's not bad if you live in santiago or SD but i do not miss it here in POP.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
They have food and stuff there? In bunk? 'Cause, I just went to their website, and holy cow... They had a couple of things I have recently ordered from Amazon and shipped, and the Pricesmart price is at least 50% more of what I paid even with shipping.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They have food and stuff there? In bunk? 'Cause, I just went to their website, and holy cow... They had a couple of things I have recently ordered from Amazon and shipped, and the Pricesmart price is at least 50% more of what I paid even with shipping.

That is normally the case with things you would ship in to any store here. I go for things that would not be worth shipping, but use over time along with some of the food items.

mudman24

Jan 8, 2014
I try to go once a month from Sosua. With a family of 5 I can't afford not too. I take coolers and try to buy a months worth of meats, shredded cheese(80 pesos 8 oz) Jiffy peanut butter is double the size for about 25 pesos more. Paper towels way cheaper. The quality of meat is good. The doughnuts I agree are awesome.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
a friend got the membership for us and he pays for it. i would not bother if i had to do it myself. the prices are nothing to write home about and the portions are ginormous, for a household of two it makes no sense. but since we have a membership already we buy some products there: dog food, sand for cats, washing powder and few more things. it's not bad if you live in santiago or SD but i do not miss it here in POP.
We buy bulk meats there, break them down into smaller vacuum packs, and freeze it.

The more in the freezer, the more efficient it operates.