express kidnappings on the rise

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Very scary.

Although foreigner are rarely the target in kidnappings, I think it is one of the scariest type of crime.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Although foreigner are rarely the target in kidnappings, I think it is one of the scariest type of crime.

indeed. the closest case was a dominican american AE mentioned. still missing, i think. personally i think it is only a question of time. the reasons why dominicans are targeted is probably because the families of the victims are well known. the kidnappers know about businesses owed, potential money that can be gained, security level and so on. maybe they have some internal info as well from staff, co-workers and family. and i am not talking about cooperation here, just about the info people give away unintentionally, either talking in public places or posting on social media.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Very scary.

DR atracts many tourists who do not have a lot of money.. Also it may be difficult for them to take out money from their accounts in their home countries..

Local persons may be easier to get the cash quicker and the criminals may already know how much money the family has.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think turistas can feel safe but sooner or later gringo residents will attract some attention.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
The financial requirements of a Permanent Residency make such foreigners a suitable candidate for this form of extortion

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The financial requirements of a Permanent Residency make such foreigners a suitable candidate for this form of extortion

this is of no relevance, i think. not everyone who is a resident (in a sense of permanently living in DR, legally or not) has substantial amount of money. many gringos who live here have been legal residents for years (subject to previous requirements), others have no legal papers at all. i recon what matters most is what kidnappers know about you: what you have at home, what car you drive, what job you have...

note that the article in my post mentions a ransom of as little as 80,000 pesos.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The reality is that most of us expats have diddley money in comparison to the rich Dominicans. And the rich Dominicans are known. When the kidnappings were happening in Haiti.. even though they were tagged as "Americans" they were practically all Haitian Americans, relatives of rich families who were flying back home. (Also a few from NGOs)

All we foreigners have to prove is that we have $2k a month or so..Not that we have a cool million that we can put our hands on.