Where do all those rental cars end up?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Once a rental car hits a certain amount of miles ( kilometres) in the DR, what do they do with them? Every time I rent a car they always have low Mileage or practically new. Who does the rental companies sell them to?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Originally Posted by Celt202 View Post
A guess

They roll back the miles and sell them through small auto dealers.

That is exactly what happens.

Do you think they would /could sell them as new cars after they roll back the odometers, or most likely used cars?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Why I am wondering if these have been Rental Cars from the Big Rental Companies now being SOLD as NEW cars, they are
2013 Model years Chevy Trax.. One dealer I know has 5 of them, and another dealer has 2 of them... I want to buy one of these Cars but not if it has been a rolled back RENTAL... The Chevy trax is a Car that a few of the dealers rent quite often..
I wonder if a Carfax would tell the story?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they most likely roll them back as sell as "only one owner" car. that the "owner" was a rental company is another thing :)

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Is rolling back new cars easy to do?

I know the older models was a knack to do but the new ones?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Originally Posted by Celt202 View Post
A guess

They roll back the miles and sell them through small auto dealers.

Do you think they would /could sell them as new cars after they roll back the odometers, or most likely used cars?

Used cars as far as I have seen them being sold. CARFAX would help only if the car is from the USA.

Jan 9, 2004
Why I am wondering if these have been Rental Cars from the Big Rental Companies now being SOLD as NEW cars, they are
2013 Model years Chevy Trax.. One dealer I know has 5 of them, and another dealer has 2 of them... I want to buy one of these Cars but not if it has been a rolled back RENTAL... The Chevy trax is a Car that a few of the dealers rent quite often..
I wonder if a Carfax would tell the story?

Carfax wil not help you.

The Chevy Trax was made for the export market until this year. A 2015 Trax will be made and sold in the US using US specs.

First letter of the VIN will tell you the country of manufacture.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Carfax wil not help you.

The Chevy Trax was made for the export market until this year. A 2015 Trax will be made and sold in the US using US specs.

First letter of the VIN will tell you the country of manufacture.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

But if it was manufactured in the USA doesn't carfax show who it was sold to when it was exported to the DR? Or maybe carfax just shows the Date it was exported and doesn't show the DR S.A.

Jan 9, 2004
But if it was manufactured in the USA doesn't carfax show who it was sold to when it was exported to the DR? Or maybe carfax just shows the Date it was exported and doesn't show the DR S.A.

No.

Carfax usually begins from the date the US dealer sells it to a buyer who registers/titles it in the US.

No export data can be gleaned from Carfax. Further, the car was likely not made in the US. Check the first digit of the VIN.

VIN decoder. How to read and decode your VIN number

Understand that wherever it is made it likely does not meet US specs. Everything from no side airbags, catalytic converter, thickness of the metal, and tire size....could all be different.

Remember these vehicles may likely have been made for countries with a lower price point....so there may be differences.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
I had to be convinced. Uneffenbelievable.

Gone are the days when dealers used a drill in reverse or a small dental pic for rollbacks.....then set every radio station to an "older" listening audience......then affixed the plastic "Jesus" to the dash....added triple "AAA" stickers and then told the customer it was only driven by a little old school teacher to church and back on Sundays.

The scams/schemes today are far more hi-tech. They even have an interior spray that replicates "that new car smell."

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Yes. But that model has never been sold in the US. It would not have been manuf. here either.
Check the internet, I believe there is a seal on od's. Od's are sometimes the least worry in buying used.
All said, you still need to have an idea of checking out a car for tell tale signs of abuse, engine and trans. issues, "dog-tracking" etc.
I sold cars for Hertz and bought and sold many rentals in the US. Maybe contact the US offices of those doing business in the DR. They should give you some direction i.e. Managers name and phone number in DR. Pretty sure these companies would require the vehicles to go thru auction and would be set up much like the US. Licensed dealers etc.
You can talk to a reputable dealer, let him know what you want (some will allow you to go with them). Turn and burn, $500 cash is better than some car rotting on the lot.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Gone are the days when dealers used a drill in reverse or a small dental pic for rollbacks.....then set every radio station to an "older" listening audience......then affixed the plastic "Jesus" to the dash....added triple "AAA" stickers and then told the customer it was only driven by a little old school teacher to church and back on Sundays.

The scams/schemes today are far more hi-tech. They even have an interior spray that replicates "that new car smell."

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Sounds like the car Bus. on Jerome Ave.
Their were (are?) a couple lanes at the Newburgh Auction that were Scary. Dealers I worked with sent their rats there. Did most buying at Northway.
Poster does bring up a good idea. Well worth checking into.
Much of the Used DR crop have been stamped Salvage in the US. Probably where most flood vehicles end up.