What To Do In Sosua For A Month

ChrisNYC

Sep 6, 2011
I am curious to know how many of you guys could keep busy in Sosua for a month without a car ? I am moving to the West Coast soon and the DR will be very far for me to travel to. I have an itch to do it just one more time before I leave NYC.

The thing is I do long term trips like a month at a time. Two weeks in Sosua is like staying for 2 years. I walk the main street a million times a day. After a few days the town gets on my nerves. I like to explore and do activities like ATV's hiking fishing etc. but my budget after hotel will only be $$125 in my pocket per day.

I've been to Santiago but didn't see much worth staying for minus a day or two. Puerto Plata seemed somewhat interesting but I think Sosua is a better deal since the beach is a lot closer.

I hate being stuck in Sosua but I LOVE being in the DR. I love the whole vibe down there. I want to do cool things but I don't know if I am limiting myself by missing something.

When I was last in Sosua I found myself wanting to rent a bicycle. Any rentals available these days ? I also wanted to take bachata lessons. Any decent places to learn minus the goofy language schools ?

Tours out of my budget ?

I have a new found appreciation for cigars. I thought maybe I could learn about the process and visit a few factories. Maybe that would only be worth one "tour" . What else could I expect to learn about cigars...right !

Anyways I am trying to convince myself that I can keep busy.

Thanks for reading.

Would you want to take small trips to Samana, Jarabacoa or Santo Domingo? Personally my new favourite place is The Capital (SD) but that could be bc it is like a normal City (kind of).

I get bored in Sosua after a few hours! I find Cabarete more fun by far but everyone has different tastes.

Are you able to rent a car or are you not wanting to? I just find there is so much more to do and see with a car on hand at least for a few days or week.

ChrisNYC

Sep 6, 2011
Would you want to take small trips to Samana, Jarabacoa or Santo Domingo? Personally my new favourite place is The Capital (SD) but that could be bc it is like a normal City (kind of).

I get bored in Sosua after a few hours! I find Cabarete more fun by far but everyone has different tastes.

Are you able to rent a car or are you not wanting to? I just find there is so much more to do and see with a car on hand at least for a few days or week.

When I first started in the DR I was in Cabarete. It was perfect because I was in a beautiful area across the street from the beach. Then there was always sosua in case I was craving a little action. Well fast forward to 2007/8 and wow did things change. I felt uncomfortable with the crowd. It was way too vanilla for me.

Sosua gives me the creeps for many reasons but lodging is affordable and the food options are decent...something that is hard to find in small coastal communities.

Now SD is something I'd like to do. I love getting on guaguas and checking out neighborhoods but I've been advised against it. One comment was people don't wear shorts in the city and you will be super uncomfortable walking anywhere. Also taking taxis would add up because at some point they would be unavoidable. Most people get bored in SD after a few days. I do speak spanish but maybe the cost would be too much to keep active.

I never rent a motor operated vehicle of any sort while traveling. Less responsibility for me so I can kick back and relax.

So what do you do in SD to keep busy ?

Thanks for the response.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
$125 a day is more than enough to do something interesting every day...and if you're willing to take public transport, which isn't always crowded and dangerous (i.e. Caribe, Metro), you can see a lot of the country as well...plenty of day and weekend trips.

When I first started in the DR I was in Cabarete. It was perfect because I was in a beautiful area across the street from the beach. Then there was always sosua in case I was craving a little action. Well fast forward to 2007/8 and wow did things change. I felt uncomfortable with the crowd. It was way too vanilla for me.

Sosua gives me the creeps for many reasons but lodging is affordable and the food options are decent...something that is hard to find in small coastal communities.

Now SD is something I'd like to do. I love getting on guaguas and checking out neighborhoods but I've been advised against it. One comment was people don't wear shorts in the city and you will be super uncomfortable walking anywhere. Also taking taxis would add up because at some point they would be unavoidable. Most people get bored in SD after a few days. I do speak spanish but maybe the cost would be too much to keep active.

I never rent a motor operated vehicle of any sort while traveling. Less responsibility for me so I can kick back and relax.

So what do you do in SD to keep busy ?

Thanks for the response.

I wear shorts wherever I go unless there is a dress code or I am going to a club or something in SD. Locals will KNOW you are a tourist so I don't think it really matters. I am the kind of person who would never dresses for others though so if you think you may feel uncomfortable bring a pair of jeans or pants and a collared shirt.

You could stay in the Colonial Zone and can walk around a lot not needing a taxi. I walked at 3am by myself and felt ok. I drive and take taxis in SD no problem.
Casa Sanchez (Boutique Hotel) is MY fav place to stay in SD, stayed on the Malecon a bunch of times but LOVE Colonial Zone the best by far. There are clubs, restaurants some tourist places to see, shopping etc... I don't know I am not a SD expert just really like it, only been 7-8 times.

By too Vanilla what do you mean? What are you looking for??!!!

How old are you?

Colonial Zone really isn't that cheap though from what I found.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
VANILLA meaning too touristy.

I've heard people say SD is expensive like Miami. Maybe just a little cheaper.

There are a handful of clubs and restaurants that may be comparable to Miami in price, but 95% are nowhere close. Unless you're dining at Olive Garden and staying in a Travelodge (in Miami). The BEST hotels in Santo Domingo are usually well under $200, the best restaurants are generally less than $100 per person for a complete meal with top shelf drinks or wine, with many well under $50 p/p...that is definitely not what you spend at comparable places in Miami, at least the Miami I know...and I used to live there!

You can go to most of the clubs in SD and get bottle service with full VIP treatment, if that's what you're into, for the price of the cover charge and a few drinks at most South Beach clubs.

You can stay in a decent hotel, eat in nice restaurants, and see and experience a lot in SD for the $125 a day you mentioned, obviously do and see even more if that doesn't include the hotel.

Last edited:
VANILLA meaning too touristy.

I've heard people say SD is expensive like Miami. Maybe just a little cheaper.

Being 44 I think you would like SD and it's not like you would be staying there a month so you could spend a bit more if need be since every day in Sosua isn't going to be $125 I am guessing?? David is right it isn't Miami prices I just wanted to say the places I ate were not cheap but you could find anything for your budget I am sure.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Take a guagua from Sosua to Samana. Stay a few days in Las Terrenas (hotel Casa Robinson), then to Las Galleras, check Samana City, Waterfalls in Limon. Then in two hours with bus you get to Santo Domingo. And the time will fly :)

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
I could easily spend a month in Sosua/Cabarete. I could also easily spend a month travelling the whole country.

I don't know what the prices are, but I've long wanted to spend a few weeks there and learn kite-surfing. And/or windsurfing. Or just more board surfing in Playa Encuentro, which I already do. If you're into water sports, the NOrth Coast is a fantastic area.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Great question. I stay at times for a month in Sosua. By then end of the month I am ready to get off the rock. Your buget is more than enough to live comfortable. I stay in a condo so I end nights in kicking back. For cigar factory tours go talk to Brian at Cafe Cubano. For dance lessons The Emily School of dance, and its located behind the Playero ( the small one on pedro) on the side street heading the parque bandera on the left.
Having friends helps pass the time. Granted I spend a lot of time in town. But its night to be able to have a beer with an amigo every time I go out.
Try looking into pop. The brugal factory tour, the old fort, the malacon is great on sundays. Maybe Gorgon or dv8 will give more on pop, they know the town.
Good luck, send me a pm when your going and if were both in town the first beer is on me.

drescape24

Aug 21, 2007
Come and spend days volunteering.....even just a couple of hours, a few days a week. You will meet interesting kids and families, be able to interact on a different level, and make a difference for others (AND yourself.) Lots of volunteer opportunities are available. There is time to both self-indulge and to do something productive.

Lindsey

Mar 1, 2009
Concerning danger and dangerous places. You can pretty much go anywhere in DR at least once without getting harmed.
You have to follow the rules which are applied everywhere;

Don't look like a victim, i.e. a target.
Be confident, act like your sure of yourself.
Avoid eye contact and act like you know where your going.
In case, you can't avoid eye contact; either smile and say; Dimelo comando? OR Act upset like George Costanza, shake your head say "dame un chance"...walk away.

And hell yeah, wear the shorts. Your a tourist, your probably white you'll stick out like a sore thumb so enjoy yer'self.

Definitely take the time to volunteer and be part of the virtuous cycle, helping disadvantaged kids will enrich you in indescribable ways. You will have given back just a little bit to this world from which we ungratefully take so much away.

These are my broad recommendations, there is quite a bit too do, you gotta do a little more research to find it.

Enjoy the country man. That buck twenty five u got makes u quite wealthy.....

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcccccccc

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
I am curious to know how many of you guys could keep busy in Sosua for a month without a car ?
There would be a lot of beach time and a lot of down time for me in Sosua. There don't seem to be many responses of encouragement because folks seem to be talking about things outside of Sosua, which wasn't your question.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
If you hate being "stuck in Sosua" why are you thinking of going there for a month?

Yep. I would definitely hang in Santiago for a few days!!!!!

I would also say that once you meet a nice local, the month will fly by and your plans will be day by day!!!! :)

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Yep. I would definitely hang in Santiago for a few days!!!!!

I would also say that once you meet a nice local, the month will fly by and your plans will be day by day!!!! :)

Unless someone is fixated on working locals, I don't see the benefit of hanging out in the little town of Sosua for a month. There is enough low hanging fruit all over the DR that I don't get dudes that speak Spanish and restrict themselves to that area.