Do you drive/go out at night?

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I would feel trapped if I couldn't leave my house after dark. I don't avoid driving at night but use reduced speed and all the eyes in the car to watch the road. Its dangerous on the roads in the daytime---------

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Yes. From Cabarete to Sosua often for dinner or to see friends. Playa Dorada for movies. Ocean World at times. Santiago for movie matinees and dinner - which means driving home after dark.

Usually home by 10 or 11pm. But occasionally it can be 1, 2 or even 3am getting home.

That said, I try to keep the Santiago trips to no more than a couple a month. And if it looks like rain that cancels the longer distance trips.

When spending the night in the capital, also usually out until midnight w/movies, theater, dinner, etc

The roads are ok and not heavily travelled at night. I'm also travelling in decent areas to/from nice venues, not from low class barrio to low class barrio.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes in the Cabarete/Sosua area. I do not like to drive to Santiago from Cabarete at night, but I have done it.

Aug 21, 2007
I am a woman you is usually alone. I avoid driving at night, after dark. If I had a problem with my aging car or an accident, I feel that I would be at risk. When my husband is here, we will drive after dark, but with utmost care.

Lindsey

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
I dont live there but when I am in the RD I do drive at night (not long drives) and go out. Same for the people I know there.. However nobody seem to go out alone at night.. always with somebody else..

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We live 5 minutes from Sosua. We only drive around Sosua in the dark. That still gives us plenty of things to do. Once we drove back from Puerto Plata at night and also several times from Cabarete but were not comfortable at all.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not go out much, day or night. there isn't much to do in POP at the best of times. and i am myopic so i do not see well at night so driving after dusk is not the best idea. but i have no issues if i need to go out or drive.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yes we are out and about all the time. I find the worst time to drive (hard to see the stupid motos and such) is a dusk. Try to aviod that time if we can. My wife also drives all over

Bob K

RandyLRM

May 21, 2014
yes and yes.

Reduced speed at night is the key. When I describe driving, say from the city to La Romana, to my friends, I tell them it's like running a NASCAR race.