Man made river

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
In light of the recent news "Haitians take over border towns in DR" and talk of
a wall going up along the border. I would suggest that the discussion be about
a man made river. 100 years from now the river will be there, a wall? not so sure.

The living conditions in DR would take a steep decline if things continue as they are.
Public works would be worse, criminal activity way up. etc....

Nothing good can come out of Haiti for now, unless a top is placed on the
pressure cooker. DR is a release valve for Haiti, if all those people
that are in DR were back in Haiti it would definitely cause quite a stir..dare I say
a revolution of sorts, which certain countries need.

Or something terrible may happen on the island. The poor uneducated fellow on the
corner seeing the rich guy drive by him in a Beemer every day will one day revolt, especially
if his family members work in the rich guy's house.

karnes

Sep 26, 2013
With all this talk about putting up a wall I got to thinking... I have never seen a dominican lay block.... Will they hire the haitians to lay block for the wall so they cant come over here???

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
With all this talk about putting up a wall I got to thinking... I have never seen a dominican lay block.... Will they hire the haitians to lay block for the wall so they cant come over here???

Our house and walls were built by a Dominican maestro and his crew - there was one Haitian in the group, but as a laborer. The Dominicans laid the blocks, etc.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I've had two houses, an apartment building and a school built, as well as a wall surrounding a small finca. The labour was about half Dominican and half Haitians, except the finishing work, it was about 90 % Dominican. Haitians are extremely hard working but Dominicans are perfectly capable of building a wall.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If a "RIVER" worked, there would be no "Mexicans" in the USA!
Why do you think they are called "Wet Backs" in the first place????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Aug 6, 2006
I hardly think a revolution would solve Haiti's problems.
It is rare when a revolution actually makes things better for most people.
Costa Rica in 1948 comes to mind. The got rid of the army and completely rewrote the constitution and followed it.

The American Revolution did not improve the lives of a majority of the people in the US, this is not true even if you don't count the slaves. By around 1820 or so, things were probably better than they would have been under the King.

The French Revolution brought on the Reign of Terror and then a period of Imperial Conquest under Napoleon I.

I think the Dominican overthrow of the Haitians in 1844 eventually improved things, as it separated the DR from Haiti, which has had a very sad history.

The Mexican Revolution began to bring Mexico out of poverty years after the 1910-1923 military phase when Lazaro Cardenas was elected president in 1939.

Gradual democratic transition has been far more successful than armed revolutions.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I know that they call Granny's trying to illegally cross a border, "blue haired silver backs". :D

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
ah yes, the Rio Grande. the only river in the world were if you fall in...you just dust yourself off and keep on going.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC