World Cup TV coverage

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I know there is another thread going on about the World Cup in Off Topic, but this is about DR TV coverage. Yesterday's ESPN coverage of the big game was cut off half way through on Cable del Norte. I went to the office today and apparently there will be no more ESPN coverage after this weekend and they showed me a letter from the Ministry of Culture saying that it was illegal for them to do so because of broadcast rights.

After this weekend you can only watch the World Cup on Cable del Norte on Channels 5 and 15, with Spanish commentary. I assume there are similar issues in other regions with other providers.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
There are many complaints about the quality of the broadcasting of pio deportes. Canal 15 yesterday was just horrible, I had to relive the game watching the summary on Dutch TV in the evening, not even mentioning the bad quality of the commentators.

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
There are many complaints about the quality of the broadcasting of pio deportes. Canal 15 yesterday was just horrible, I had to relive the game watching the summary on Dutch TV in the evening, not even mentioning the bad quality of the commentators.

Agree!! After that game I promised myself to always buy Barcelo and Pepsi...

"Gooooool, and now we celebrate the goal with Brugal...!" Like que?

Viva Barcelo and Pepsi

Apr 13, 2011
If you have WatchESPN app, it is showing the games. Not sure if you need to log in using a US IP address, probably any as long as you have the app and good wifi.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I was going to ask the same question about the Delancer in the north coast, which channel do you guys watch the games on !? I only have the subscription to basic but I can subscribe to the other extras, but I want to know if then I can see the games with good quality and in English !?

I just saw the Colombia vs Greece game on channel 15 in Spanish and constant ads about banco popular, terrible !!! I am watching the Uruguay vs Costa Rica on channel 155 (ABC) in English but terrible quality !?

What Delancer channel the guys with bars are using ... !?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Apparently ABC have a deal with ESPN to show the games. But as Cable del Norte say they will stop all coverage of ESPN after this weekend, that could apply to ABC too.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I know, what is the world's come to... !? lol. I give up, I am going out to watch the England match on a big TV somewhere, hopefully they have English commentary and a good reception....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
15 - crappy picture, can't hear the stadium crowd, just the annoying adverts and commentary.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Only zoomed in image is acceptable, overview of the field is blurry, it's slightly better than yesterday though. Comments are equally bad. Commercial blabbing and now and then Eeeyyyyyy, when is a near miss.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Disaster in more ways than one, England lost the damn game I believe should have got a draw out of, and, I ended up watching it in German !!!???

Anyone has the extras on Delancer and do they show the games in English !? I see you get :

Fox Sports (1,2,3 and +)
ESPN3
Bein Sport
NBC Sport
GOL TV

And some more stuff, I might just subscribe to those for the month or two if you get anything useful with those...

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
You can watch some games on https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/itv via the internet, but then it depends on your internet speed and also the frame rate is really bad - when they shoot the ball just disappears !?

The iPlayer from BBC is only available via proxy (if you have one), it is no better as I can get that too, but these are no replacement for a nice TV signal.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Graboid, (free app) has a lot of games available day after the match to download or stream. Video quality, and can purchase bandwidth for a nominal fee.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Graboid, (free app) has a lot of games available day after the match to download or stream. Video quality, and can purchase bandwidth for a nominal fee.

Are you really a worldcup footbal fan !? No point watching a game the day after the match ... ! :ermm: