Replacement Rear Window Hyundai Tucson?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I broke my rear window. Where can I buy a new one? In DR or online (Suggestion for a parts dealer)?

Thanks!

Jan 9, 2004
I broke my rear window. Where can I buy a new one? In DR or online (Suggestion for a parts dealer)?

Thanks!

Check your insurance to see if you have glass coverage.

If so, a Hyundai dealer would be the most logical first stop.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Would they pay if it was my fault?

I was told Viamar in Higuey might have them. Any online source to check how much it will set me back if insurance does not cover?

Jan 9, 2004
Would they pay if it was my fault?

I was told Viamar in Higuey might have them. Any online source to check how much it will set me back if insurance does not cover?

Probably. Most insurers only care that you did not deliberately damage/break the window. How it got broken...is usually not asked.

Viamar handles Kia which is owned by Hyundai and they may be able to get a factory replacement.

What year is the vehicle?....if I remember correctly you bought it fairly recently.

Heated back glass for the Tucson can run from $250-$400...those are US prices. Not sure about the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
You right. I have the 2014 "full" versionl.

Yep, I am calculating with 1000 US. Hopefully it won't be that much. Maybe there is a cheaper one not heated version? Don't really need a heated rear window here in DR...

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
You right. I have the 2014 "full" model.

Yep, I am calculating with 1000 US. Hopefully it won't be that much. Maybe there is a cheaper one not heated version? Don't really need a heated rear window here in DR...

Again, your insurance will likely cover it...if you have glass coverage. Accidents happen..that's why you buy insurance.

Heated glass is also good for humid climates...helps eliminate the interior "fog" on those humid days/nights.

Even if you don't have insurance coverage, I would expect the cost to be no greater than $750.00.

One last point, if you don't have glass coverage..get it. Way to many full uncovered 10 wheel dump trucks plying the roads from Bavaro to Higuey and beyond.

Notice the number of cracked windshields in the DR...there are lots and lots of them.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
auto glass

I hope you can get it for free under your insurance. If not, there arema bunch of glass guys near the western foot of the 17 bridge. They will replace cheaply and even make custom cuts as needed. A taxi guy can help with directions. It's one of the few places they will all know that isn't in their neighborhood. You can also find glass guys in Villa Juana where you will pay not much more for much more convenient location.

Again, your insurance will likely cover it...if you have glass coverage. Accidents happen..that's why you buy insurance.

Heated glass is also good for humid climates...helps eliminate the interior "fog" on those humid days/nights.

Even if you don't have insurance coverage, I would expect the cost to be no greater than $750.00.

One last point, if you don't have glass coverage..get it. Way to many full uncovered 10 wheel dump trucks plying the roads from Bavaro to Higuey and beyond.

Notice the number of cracked windshields in the DR...there are lots and lots of them.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
BUY, & have replaced"USED".
CHEAPER.
"Been There, Done THAT!
I broke the rear window in my "Ford Aerostar van.
Guy on street brought me a "NEW", used one, Included the entire rear door which I threw away.
Less than 1,000 pesos.
CCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just to let you know, mike. miesposo changed the front window of his santa fe just last week. he had to take it to santiago (but we are on the NC). the cost was around 27k pesos, the window is brand new.

hyundai list DR dealer on their websites and they have one in bavaro. maybe you can give them a call to see who is authorized to do the job on hyundai in your area:
El Tanque Motors
Carretera Ber?n-Barcel? Km. 9 1/2, pr?ximo al Cruce Coco Loco. B?varo, Rep. Dom.
Tel.: 809-554-1155

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Hi :). Thanks.

Yep, bought my car there but they are of little help with that. They told me to try with Viamar or Magna Motors. (Higuey, La Romana or even SDQ). I will just ask my insurance at BR tomorrow. Coverage or not they should be able to tell me at least who can do it here.

Do you think your taller in Santiago would have a (heated) rear window for my Tucson and be able to ship it to me? In case everything else fails or takes up too much time?

just to let you know, mike. miesposo changed the front window of his santa fe just last week. he had to take it to santiago (but we are on the NC). the cost was around 27k pesos, the window is brand new.

hyundai list DR dealer on their websites and they have one in bavaro. maybe you can give them a call to see who is authorized to do the job on hyundai in your area:
El Tanque Motors
Carretera Ber?n-Barcel? Km. 9 1/2, pr?ximo al Cruce Coco Loco. B?varo, Rep. Dom.
Tel.: 809-554-1155

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i really do not know. miesposo went to magna motors (they are in santiago and SD) but it his is a business car so all was done via his employer. all i can tell you is that they did not have this window in the storage and it had to be ordered.

the only good thing is that the job is done within hours. admittedly magna motors does not recommend to drive the car long distance straight away and it stinks of glue for several days but at least it is quick.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Had a rear window shattered on a Honda CRV about 3 years ago, - had it replaced for only 6k pesos in Santiago, a shop on Sadhalla, Dominican Glass or something.

Jan 9, 2004
Yep, bought my car there but they are of little help with that. They told me to try with Viamar or Magna Motors. (Higuey, La Romana or even SDQ). I will just ask my insurance at BR tomorrow. Coverage or not they should be able to tell me at least who can do it here.

Do you think your taller in Santiago would have a (heated) rear window for my Tucson and be able to ship it to me? In case everything else fails or takes up too much time?

Glass is a specialty item and is usually not installed by the dealer where you bought the car. However, your experience of them telling you where to try, as opposed to who to see for sure, speaks volumes about their lack of knowledge and the all important customer service.....after the sale.

You spent a great deal of money there and you would expect them to want to try and keep you as a happy customer...even if they cannot do the job.

Forget shipping the glass...unless you want to own it if it ends up cracked/broken in the process. Today's glass is pretty durable in the frame/affixed to the vehicle. Outside of that it is very fragile. I have even seen installers crack it by putting a little too much presssure on it during installation.

Find a reputable glass house and get it installed there.....even if not covered by your insurance. It is to new of a vehicle to be doing the Dominican street corner installation thing.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks playa, great advice. Didn't know that the glass is too delicate for shipping etc.

Somebody, any recommendations for a reputable glass house on the East coast? La Romana, Higuey, San Pedro? I am afraid it will have to be in SDQ though...

Glass is a specialty item and is usually not installed by the dealer where you bought the car. However, your experience of them telling you where to try, as opposed to who to see for sure, speaks volumes about their lack of knowledge and the all important customer service.....after the sale.

You spent a great deal of money there and you would expect them to want to try and keep you as a happy customer...even if they cannot do the job.

Forget shipping the glass...unless you want to own it if it ends up cracked/broken in the process. Today's glass is pretty durable in the frame/affixed to the vehicle. Outside of that it is very fragile. I have even seen installers crack it by putting a little too much presssure on it during installation.

Find a reputable glass house and get it installed there.....even if not covered by your insurance. It is to new of a vehicle to be doing the Dominican street corner installation thing.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Back-In-The-Day", I used to see Dominicans carrying replacement windshields into the cabin on "American Airlines" flights into the DR!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
glass replacement

That is the way it's done. Warranties and insurance benefit the dealers and insurance company owners. If you can find the part, get it installed privately. The official channels work great in Europe and North America, but this forum is not called "EU1 .com" or "NA1 .com"

CHEAPER.
"Been There, Done THAT!
Guy on street brought me a "NEW", used one, Included the entire rear door which I threw away.
Less than 1,000 pesos.
CCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
CHEAPER.
"Been There, Done THAT!
Less than 1,000 pesos.
CCCCCCCCCCCCC

that one fell off the back of a truck. less than 1000 pesos? c'mon, man!