Advice please on a legal issue

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
Hello All

I really didn't want my first thread to have been something of this nature so please bare with me. I live in Santo Domingo Este but in a good, and what I thought was a secure, location. This past Sunday I left my house for the first time in months alone. Normally I hire a person to watch it but for some reason felt Okay about stepping out for a couple hours with a friend from the US here. We were having lunch and my phone rang. I noticed I missed several calls from various friends. My friend understands Spanish better then I do so I handed the phone to him. Long story short my house was broken into. So as not to get to lengthy, about $50k worth of items were taken. Police, a lawyer friend and several friends came to assist. I called the embassy as well for any help they could provide. The theft happened in the early afternoon. Some had seen the people but no one informed the police but one. The police did not respond for about 30 minutes or they would have caught the bastards (excuse my language). I provided the IMEI number on phones that were taken to track it. Photos, receipts and all documents of any item I could. Copies not original documents. I contacted channel 9 SIN news and they came Friday and did a story that ran at 10pm that night. Several homes in the area I discovered have been broken into in the same manner as did mine. 2 on the day of mine and one lady walking was held up at gun point 6 hours after my home was broken into. A major head of police lives in this association as does many expats and other non Dominicans along with many locals. There is much information, finger prints, descriptions of suspects, make and model of the cars and on and on about the perpetrators. This is the first time any news coverage has been done after 15+ homes have been victimized. I am doing all I can and feel this has local levels involved at all levels of the system here. Guns were used in this crime at the front security gate and they took his 12 gauge shotgun to add to their arsenal.

Any suggestions, advice or contacts anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Have not had much sleep and would have posted sooner but all my electronic devices were taken and I had to replace them for communications. Only had 1 phone left, the one I was carrying and burned the battery out several times a day now for the past week.

On a bright note no one was hurt during any of this and I'm keeping a good outlook. I really want attention and action as I am not a solo victim nor will this stop at my home unless the locals take action. A police truck drove thru during the filming of the news report and they had no idea that a or any crimes had happened in the area. It seems within the the local authorities communications are not passed to one another.

You all have a great weekend and I am looking forward to reading the replies.

Thank you all in advance

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
Already in my truck CC, just trying to see if I can help stop others from going thru the same ordeal. This really reeks of a higher connection because of the amount of homes in this area and no one has ever been caught. I am moving as well to what I'm hoping is a safer location, if that exists here.... :laugh:

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
Thanks Harley. The one place I felt I could count on was here or would have not spent the time nor wasted any ones here. This is really a decent place of community.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
Good example of why i prefer not to put too much of my hard earned money in RD assets. Sorry for your loss..move on and learn from 'your mistakes' is the best I can come up with..in the end its only money.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
With that many break-ins in your area, it has to be an "inside" job. Someone who lives there, or someone who works there, is eyeballing the properties, just waiting for a chance to strike. Maybe some know who it is, and keep their mouth shut for fear of reprisals.

I'm glad to hear you're moving, sorry you had to experience this.

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
Thanks Jay and AE :)! I did not intend to have that much in the way of $$$ items but it accumulated over the past 4 1/2 years. Yes AE, I'm sure it is and before I leave am planning on getting a neighborhood watch and other programs going for those left behind. It has an association and board here so I will pass off the information and other assistance. This sucks in every aspect but stopping these crooks and assisting in bettering life for others helps us all.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
never leave your house without a human inside.

5 years in La Mulata-2. No bars on door or windows, door never locked at night. Alarm and videocameras all over the property. Self-shooting motion sensing automatic machine-guns on the roof of the house. Never had any problem, God forbid!

Aug 6, 2006
Perhaps a dog might be a solution. Or at least, a recording of several Dobermans, with sounds like they are scratching at the door to kill and eat intruders. Hide the battery-operated barking dog machine and use a remote to turn it on and off.

This sounds like some professional thieves must have cased your house earlier and were waiting for you to leave.

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
Straight in Tom. The triple dead bolt with the triangle key area was just popped off. 2 doors the same and a pry bar to the front wooden door. I'd say pad locks where you can just get your hand in the unlock them would be best. If there is any room to swing a hammer or get cutters in is bad. It looked as they just used a large pair of channel locks to twist off the triangle key area then opened the bolts with a screw driver. Basically like they had keys, opened all 3 front doors and loaded it in front of the house for all to see.

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
Jeez Derfish.... I think they would steal your crack if you bent over here... lol.... Sorry to hear that bro. It was some years back now bit in Africa they had car security systems that if the door was opened by someone trying to steal the car a big blast of fire would blaze the thief. Well I was told this by a friend that was from there and searched for it and some information did surface that supported his story. Might be time to do some Macgyver inventions here to the same intensity... Anyone know how to build a flame thrower...? lol

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
or even a better one -

[video=youtube;OBvtGr1BfVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBvtGr1BfVQ[/video]

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
:p Nice Bred. If edeestee was more affordable Id go the electrified route! Bring a line from before the transformer. I do that to kill Mosquitos Derfish... A thief is about along the same bottom feeder line as a mosquito!