Help with Shipping from US

Shackmack

Jun 9, 2014
I just bought several books from Amazon and had them shipped to a mail service I use in Texas. It will cost
another US $50.00 to get them here plus whatever import tax i have to pay. Everytime I need to send a letter to
US it costs $50.00 to send it DHL. I only do that when an original signature is required, otherwise i scan and
e mail. What does everyone else do? it would be cheaper to fly home and bring the stuff back?

Thanks

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I guess you do not like to read on a Kindle? I think their screen have gotten better. I haven't open an account there yet but don't a lot of people use BM Cargo. I don't think BM Cargo would cost that much. Not sure where you live in DR but there should be one near you.

Aug 6, 2006
There is a Dominican Postal system. I have found that a letter takes about three weeks. I suggest using a business envelope. Once I sent a fancy birthday card and it never arrived,

DHL is not the cheapest way to get a letter sent. $50 is outrageous, if you mean $50 US dollars.

In Miami there are services that will ship over 100 lbs of stuff in a plastic barrel (35 gallon tanque) for $125. It took four weeks, but everything arrived safely, They have a lower rate for boxes, a 24" cube.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The other day I picked up a package from Amazon at Business Mail in Puerto Plata. It was billed at slightly over 6 pounds and the total cost of shipping, fuel surcharge, insurance, shipping within the DR and customs clearance was 1100 pesos. That is much cheaper. Business Mail charges 140 pesos to send a letter to the US if you don't have a stamp affixed. If you have US stamps, the cost drops to 65 pesos (1 oz letter).

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I use BM Cargo (some call it Business Mail) every now and then, nothing bad to say about them. They are one of the very few companies here, whose customer service per telephone is first class, they always pick-up fast and haven?t yet left one question unanswered. They have pick-up points / offices throughout the country, and in my opinion they are not expensive either. You don?t mention the value nor the weight in your post, since with these two variables it would be very easy to determine what makes sense.

Unfortunately I have only used them to bring items to DR, but if you ask, I?m sure they assist you. Once though a familiar of mine asked for a quote to send a package of about 8 pounds to Europe (not to US, without doubt much cheaper) and they quoted about 4500 DOP. So letters must be just a fraction of this.

Shackmack

Jun 9, 2014
I guess you do not like to read on a Kindle? I think their screen have gotten better. I haven't open an account there yet but don't a lot of people use BM Cargo. I don't think BM Cargo would cost that much. Not sure where you live in DR but there should be one near you.
Yes Encargo BM Cargo do cost that much.. they are research books i need hardcopies