DJ equipment

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I found there is a Chauvet dealer in Santo Domingo which makes Chauvet Lights and some other items. I am trying to get some prices from them. Does anyone else know of other places that sells DJ controllers, DJ Lights and PA speakers ? I know somethings are a lot more expensive in DR compared to the US and every so often they are around the same price. I am looking for a PA powered sub.

Most the PA speakers I see for sell in Puerto Plata are of cheaper quality. The Speaker Stands weren't too bad to buy in Puerto Plata and a lot of furniture places sell them. Some of the DJ lights are pretty small such as the new lasers by Chauvet or American DJ. But it would be a lot easier to buy items such as fog fluid by the gallon in DR.

With LED all the DJ lights have gotten lot better. They do not get hot or take a lot of electricity. With the technology of LED and DMX the DJ lights are pretty impressive even if you but something inexpensive.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
I found there is a Chauvet dealer in Santo Domingo which makes Chauvet Lights and some other items. I am trying to get some prices from them. Does anyone else know of other places that sells DJ controllers, DJ Lights and PA speakers ? I know somethings are a lot more expensive in DR compared to the US and every so often they are around the same price. I am looking for a PA powered sub.

Most the PA speakers I see for sell in Puerto Plata are of cheaper quality. The Speaker Stands weren't too bad to buy in Puerto Plata and a lot of furniture places sell them. Some of the DJ lights are pretty small such as the new lasers by Chauvet or American DJ. But it would be a lot easier to buy items such as fog fluid by the gallon in DR.

With LED all the DJ lights have gotten lot better. They do not get hot or take a lot of electricity. With the technology of LED and DMX the DJ lights are pretty impressive even if you but something inexpensive.

Take a ride out to 30 de Marzo here in Santo Domingo. There are a bunch of stores on that block that have DJ equipment. I am sure they have what you are looking for.

Apr 7, 2014

do you have an account with EPS?

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you can break the shipment up to items under $200 US per shipment, then importing it yourself will almost always be less expensive. Even if you have to ship expensive items, it is worth getting a quote from one of the door to door shippers from Miami to the DR or NY to the DR to see what the costs would be.

Apr 7, 2014
most of the guys in New York will ship a small box for $30.
Now if you get two controllers and have them put in barrels it might even be cheaper for you. Of course I mean two NEW controllers.
In any event, you would get a better deal on Amazon or iDJnow.com or other places than any place in DR. Most of what I see in stereo stores is used(recycled) garbage. The speaker makers build nice cabinets but the woofers are flimsy paper cones. If you were able to do it would be best to buy it in person at a place like Guitar Center or Musicians Friend because they have some nice sales, especially during the X-mas season.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now if you get two controllers and have them put in barrels it might even be cheaper for you. Of course I mean two NEW controllers.
In any event, you would get a better deal on Amazon or iDJnow.com or other places than any place in DR. Most of what I see in stereo stores is used(recycled) garbage. The speaker makers build nice cabinets but the woofers are flimsy paper cones. If you were able to do it would be best to buy it in person at a place like Guitar Center or Musicians Friend because they have some nice sales, especially during the X-mas season.

All the above times 10. No question that it is better to investigate importing what you really want.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I confirm 30 de Marzo is the place for elctronic stuff in STD

I go to Puerto Plata when I am in DR. I will probably make a trip to Santo Domingo at some point. Was just wondering some of the prices differences between the US and DR.

texan

Apr 1, 2014

I haven't shipped anything to the DR before. For speakers I just need an active PA sub I have two speakers in DR. I didn't know if any place had a good sub for a decent price so I don't have to ship one down there. I think the fluid for a Fog machine cost about the same in DR. Not sure if anything else is close to USA prices or about the same if you had to ship it there.

Guitar Center is good and will match internet prices. I got a great deal on a pioneer DDJ-SX on craigslist for $550. It came with the box and the receipt from Guitar Center and still under warranty. Cost $1000 new from Guitar Center. You have to be cautious but craigslist has some good deals. Also a lot of scams.

Apr 7, 2014
I haven't shipped anything to the DR before. For speakers I just need an active PA sub I have two speakers in DR. I didn't know if any place had a good sub for a decent price so I don't have to ship one down there. I think the fluid for a Fog machine cost about the same in DR. Not sure if anything else is close to USA prices or about the same if you had to ship it there.

Guitar Center is good and will match internet prices. I got a great deal on a pioneer DDJ-SX on craigslist for $550. It came with the box and the receipt from Guitar Center and still under warranty. Cost $1000 new from Guitar Center. You have to be cautious but craigslist has some good deals. Also a lot of scams.

Behringer makes some nice powered PA subs for real.inexpensive retail.
Also there are cheaper controllers.from Hercules, American Audio, DJTech, etc.
I think people are jonesing.now for the Rane 62 and Numark NS7.
Im old school though...

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just built some non-powered subs (could make them powered using a plate amp) and I got a Peavey DSP ISP amp that has the MaxBass algorithm built in to psycho-acoustically enhance the bass. A very effective combination that also protects the sub-woofers from being stressed because the MaxBass algorithm does not need as much power to make the bass "large".

I looked into getting some 18 inch Behringer subs but they are made of MDF, which makes them very heavy to move and that high weight also makes them expensive to import. I also don't like MDF in this humid environment. My own designs use plywood and I can carry one myself.

I got the components including the 18 inch woofer from Parts Express, the Peavey amp off Ebay and imported them using EncargoPaq. I used BassBox Pro to design the enclosures and had a local cabinet maker build them.