Is There Overtime?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
So, I order from this colmado occasionally and they usually send this younger kid. He's 16 or 17, very friendly and always willing to lend a hand. He is at the age where he could be sucked into the tigre lifestyle but has decided to be better than that.

I asked him last night, if he doesn't mind telling me, how many hours does he work. He responded, "tengo que entrar a las 7 y salgo a las 10." Ok, so then I explained the concept of overtime and how it works in the US and if he had that here. He kind of chuckled and said no, he works and gets paid the same hourly wage no matter what.

When we were done talking I did the math. 7AM-10PM is 15 hours a day. 15hoursx7days=105 hours per week.

This kid is working two full time jobs and a part time job in one week. Holy sh!t :-O

I don't want to be intrusive but I'd like to ask how much he gets per hour. When I was working in a call center here I got RD$120/hr. which isn't bad pay for the DR. I can't imagine he gets over RD$80/hr. doing that type of work and that is a generous estimation.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you order from somewhere and you receive good service don't be a chump, let them keep the 5 or 10 pesos in change that's left over, they need it more than you.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
80 an hour? Most of these youngsters working as "delivery" only make tips no salary.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Nothing per hour? Wow. I'm going to ask him next time I see him. I can't believe that though, nothing per hour...

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
If he does you can bet it is no more than a few thousand pesos per month...if.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Nothing per hour? Wow. I'm going to ask him next time I see him. I can't believe that though, nothing per hour...

They usually get something like 5-8k pesos per month + tips. A guy I play basketball with is a delivery guy, says he makes like 15k a month which is not a bad wage here for someone with no education and most of the day is spent sitting around at a colmado waiting for delivery calls.

One trick that most dominicans know is to always exaggerate how bad their situation is. If you understand spanish watch this video for a bit of perspective.. EP#2 "La diferencia entre El #Dominicano de Nueva York y de Republica Dominicana" @ThatsDominican - YouTube

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
He's very happy to make 15 hours a day. More hours is more tips. And most do get a small basic salary.

In a restaurant that was a customer of mine working hours are 11am till midnight. Official hours were 11-3pm and than 7-12 (for the waiters). About 4 of them chose to stay working without getting paid between 3 and 7, serving the few clients that would come in and fetching the tips.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
You like the service and only give 5-10 pesos tips?

I guess thats why they love to come to my house!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Remember that in some parts of the world outside of the US, it's sometimes considered offensive to tip, so folks that are from those parts bring those customs with them to DR. Likewise, US residents bring with them the 15-20% standard, which is why we sometimes get the puzzled looks from Dominican waitstaff; some have never seen such a large tip and think it's a mistake.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Remember that in some parts of the world outside of the US, it's sometimes considered offensive to tip, so folks that are from those parts bring those customs with them to DR. Likewise, US residents bring with them the 15-20% standard, which is why we sometimes get the puzzled looks from Dominican waitstaff; some have never seen such a large tip and think it's a mistake.

You do realize that a 10% tip is built-in/added-to-your-bill at most restaurants in DR, don't you? Another 5-10% is usually sufficient, unless you're had outstanding service.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You are all confused. Let's say he does 50 deliveries a day (probably more). 10 pesos = 500 pesos. Times 25 = 12500 in tips per month. More than enough.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Yeah I hope any gringos don't get the foolish idea that you dont have to pay your employees any overtime, after reading that post. There is the law for Dominicans that run a business, and there is the law for a gringo establishment. If that kid worked for a foreigner, there would be labor lawyers lining up at his place.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Where I live in Juan Dolio, the delivery service charge is 50.00RD pesos because the business in this area do not have delivery service, so when you call they told you that you have to pay for the motoconcho.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
You do realize that a 10% tip is built-in/added-to-your-bill at most restaurants in DR, don't you? Another 5-10% is usually sufficient, unless you're had outstanding service.

It's not baked in everywhere, but it's useful advice to be aware of. Some places in DR (ie, Cap Cana) have a tax rate of 10%, so if you're looking for that 10% tip added automatically, the party may see that, think the tax is baked into the menu price (also common from what I've noticed) and inadvertently end up shorting the waitstaff completely.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
You are all confused. Let's say he does 50 deliveries a day (probably more). 10 pesos = 500 pesos. Times 25 = 12500 in tips per month. More than enough.

If he's on a motorbike, doesn't the gas come out of that $500/day?