La Cancilleria

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Remember: Morales was Appointed by Leonel Fern?ndez in 2004.

This is good news.
Danilo may still be able to clear out some more Augean stables in the little time he has left.

The bad news is:
Soon the pigsty creator will come back...with all his cronies in tow. :pirate:

What an outlook! :disappoin

donP

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Yup

This is good news.
Danilo may still be able to clear out some more Augean stables in the little time he has left.

The bad news is:
Soon the pigsty creator will come back...with all his cronies in tow. :pirate:

What an outlook! :disappoin

donP

Yeah, don I give DM a lot of credit for trying but not sure how clean the State will remain after he leaves. I think that what is good is that for the first time in the modern era of Dominican Republic people are seeing a semblance of things being done right.

What i find funny is how little i see outside of the coverage from acento. Is the rest of the media reporting on it?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The free press here is an illusion. Acento is one of the only news outlets that doesn't get paid off by the government. They did try to bump off the editor a couple of years ago.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i rarely check acento as it is so badly set up... but you are correct that the press writes what they are paid to write. the same goes for many other media. i still love la zeta and el gobierno de la manana thou. the best picture of what takes place in DR comes from checking several news sources. this is how i start my day: coffee and news.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Carrot and Stick Treatment

The free press here is an illusion. Acento is one of the only news outlets that doesn't get paid off by the government. They did try to bump off the editor a couple of years ago.

Investigative and critical journalists (as the fourth power in a real democracy) in this country are not liked by the government and less by the drug cartels.

They are either gagged with money ("loyal" journalists receive a state pension at an early age), killed (Orlando Mart?nez Howley, Claudio Nasco, Jos? Agust?n Silvestre de los Santos) or harrassed with law suits.

http://en.rsf.org/report-dominican-republic,190.html
El Caribe ? Tribunal reenv?a el juicio contra Marino Zapete

donP

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah, but they get paid off by USAID, which is equally as bad in my book. Impartiality and so called objectivity of the press are myths of the worse kind nowadays, be it in this country or elsewhere.

Aug 6, 2006
Yeah, but they get paid off by USAID, which is equally as bad in my book. Impartiality and so called objectivity of the press are myths of the worse kind nowadays, be it in this country or elsewhere.
==================================================================
If you read the news biased by the government, you will get one view. If you read it from acento, you will get another perspective.

It is the same everywhere: if you watch Fox News, you get one bias. The BBC will give you another, as will MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NHK and Al Jazeera. The more sources you have, the closer to the truth you will come, especially if you are capable of using your reasoning skills.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
And whatever happened to Clave Digital, that was the last time i saw real journalism before Acento

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Clave and Clave Digital were owned by the owners of Cap Cana, who were experiencing financial difficulties, so they dropped it. Acento is its reincarnation, with more or less the same editorial team.