45 Things to Eat & Drink In DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The only things I have tried on this list are the drinks, everything else to me looks GROSS!

Gee Harley, maybe some kind soul here on DR1 will introduce you to some of these foods. Some of them are out of this world delicious!

You've never had tostones??? Where do you go out to eat?

Start with the majarete - corn pudding. If your La Sirena has a cafeteria, try it there if none of the restaurants you frequent serve it.

Gee Harley, maybe some kind soul here on DR1 will introduce you to some of these foods. Some of them are out of this world delicious!

You've never had tostones??? Where do you go out to eat?

Start with the majarete - corn pudding. If your La Sirena has a cafeteria, try it there if none of the restaurants you frequent serve it.

I only eat at tourist type or expat restaurants in Sosua or Cab. I won't go near Dominican food!
The wife will eat anything that she isn't allergic too though so I will show her the list.

I am psycho picky! I may try majarete next time I am at Sirena. This is a major reason I want to move to SD, near more "Normal" Restaurants...lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I only eat at tourist type or expat restaurants in Sosua or Cab. I won't go near Dominican food!
The wife will eat anything that she isn't allergic too though so I will show her the list.

I am psycho picky! I may try majarete next time I am at Sirena. This is a major reason I want to move to SD, near more "Normal" Restaurants...lol

Report back on how you like majarete. One baby step at a time......

My dad was exactly like you, meat & potatoes man, no ethnic food [that includes most Italian food because he despised all cheeses]. Mom and Dad would come to spend the entire summer at our home every year, to watch our kids while I was at work, and it was hard to come up with dinners he would eat without the menus becoming boring. Little by little I would add something I thought he would like if he tried it, and he always refused. I finally made pollo guisado, but I told him it was chicken cacciatore, and he loved it [he was a big bread dunker]. One night I made fried batatas, and after badgering him he took a bite. Dad being dad, he wouldn't admit he liked them, he simply said "Anything fried tastes good". Little by little he tried something here and there, it took years. When they moved to Florida he'd tell me that he had bought batatas, platanos, whatever, at Publix that day.

Try it, you'll like it!!!

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
Those foods look delicious. Can't wait to move down so that I can make the goat. (It's hard to get in the US)

Harley, I'll invite you and your wife over to try it with me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, thank you, i read the buzz comment and i know that memelo is palito de coco. i know the song but i have never had those thingies. i never seen them either. maybe i do not frequent sosua beach.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009

Wow. I thought you were joking with your original post.
How long have been living here without these delights?
SD for Normal?
Do you think the Expat Restaurants fly everything in?
When you move to SD. You should go to The Market on the upper end of Duarte. I loved that place and the whole experience. It's where you get the freshest produce, meat etc. Trucks arrive thru the night to supply the place.
You can drive your vehicle around the outside and negotiate with the various produce vendors.
This is where the people that own Colmados buy, as well as the people that sell to them.
It's gotten pretty rough there the last few years. I don't go anymore. They've opened a new one though.
Harleysrock, You should think 10 times about moving to SD. Other than being close to decent heath care. It's bad. and more expensive.