Chef Work

Kevin O'Hagan

Jun 20, 2014
Hi Guys im new to this site , im Scottish from Glasgow and living in Santiago, Im a Chef and im interested in working in Punta Cana in one of the 5 star resorts i have my cv ready if anyone knows of resorts in Punta Cana hiring chefs fully qualified with plenty of experience in fine dining. thanks anyone in advance for help

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would never recommend to anyone that the come to the DR if they need to work. Perhaps there is a different standard at Punta Cana resorts, but the salary you would get in most places would not be worth your while.

Kevin O'Hagan

Jun 20, 2014
i want work more so i can have the experience in working in a toip resort like the Hard Rock in Punta Cana the salary is not the main thing for me , i have money its more about me experiencing it for my cv and my self .

May 29, 2006
A school trained chef who aspires to work in a *top resort* like Hard Rock Cafe? What kind of culinary school did you go to?

Kevin O'Hagan

Jun 20, 2014
its not the that its the hard Rock cafe i want to work in , its a 5 star resort in the caribeean its something different to have on the cv and a different experience, i know the restauarnts here in general are not of the standard i was working in London, im also doing some writing on a comedy which is based around restaurants and chefs and i want to have some experience of kitchens in resorts as well for part of my research.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Didn't have anything in mind. But saw a show on renting a chef for your party and thought it was pretty kewl. I live in the Maimon (Bonao) and well, the restauarants are that great. Might be kind of kewl to throw down a dinner party for a few friends.

May 29, 2006
You sound like someone who prob has a nice Shun knife and can make the seven mother sauces. But good luck writing. I did like the BBC series Whites with Alan Davies. It's on HULU if you can get it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the larger villas on the north coast often hire chefs for a week or a night depending on the guests' needs.

we bring in a cook and a helper for larger dinner parties

Kevin O'Hagan

Jun 20, 2014
lol thanks. i have saw Whites and the new Jon Favearu film Chef which is excellent but both very different to what im doing. Anyway cheers for the help

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Hi Guys im new to this site , im Scottish from Glasgow and living in Santiago, Im a Chef and im interested in working in Punta Cana in one of the 5 star resorts i have my cv ready if anyone knows of resorts in Punta Cana hiring chefs fully qualified with plenty of experience in fine dining. thanks anyone in advance for help
THERE ARE NO 5 STAR RESORTS IN PUNTA CANA!!
I believe most who go to any hotel in PC do not know or care about anything of real quality, i.e your excellent cooking techniques. I believe these tourists come looking for booze and beach.

yopote

Jan 22, 2012
from london coming here

wow things most be bad in london.. a great city for punta cana MH
its not the that its the hard Rock cafe i want to work in , its a 5 star resort in the caribeean its something different to have on the cv and a different experience, i know the restauarnts here in general are not of the standard i was working in London, im also doing some writing on a comedy which is based around restaurants and chefs and i want to have some experience of kitchens in resorts as well for part of my research.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Hey Kevin,

I know exactly what you're looking for, and i get it. I'm not sure a lot of people here understand what you're looking for. Basically, what you need is some experience in an upscale all-inclusive in order to get some good material for a show. Is that right? You're looking more for the experience. You're obviously are not here for the money.

I get it. And i like it. I use my experience of working in an Irish bar in the Caribbean for the exact same thing. Well, i wish i could help you out, but i don't know anyone in the all-inclusive resorts. On the hand, if you're bored. You can find me at the Irish Pub on the beach in Cabarete today for the football final. I will sitting with two guys from Scotland, George & Michael. They're from a small village in Scotland and love to drink. They have their own businesses in Scotland and are leaving on Monday. Yes, they are cheap, but they somehow have the money to pay their bills after i chase them down the beach and tackle them...which makes me happy.

Come watch the football with us. George is a carpenter, and Michael is an electrician, but neither are fast runners.

Frank

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Do you have any language skills? If not that is a problem. In the kitchen you would be working with many Domincans who probably do not speak much English. You probably can go on line for some of these big resorts and see if they are hiring?

SugarMorena

Mar 24, 2013
I dont know anyone on PC, but maybe you can start your own Chef School, or Master Class in Santiago? ... just an idea.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Like Remy

i have saw Whites and the new Jon Favearu film Chef which is excellent but both very different to what im doing.

Ah, I understand...
You are more like Remy in the film Ratatouille... [which every chef should have seen at least 13 times].
You need not speak Spanish well to work in a kitchen here, a 100-word vocabulary would just do fine.

donP

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
lol thanks. i have saw Whites and the new Jon Favearu film Chef which is excellent but both very different to what im doing. Anyway cheers for the help

I think you are possibly looking on the wrong island. There are very upscale establishments on many other islands in the region, but not so much in the DR. It just hasn't happened YET.. For instance, Providenciales, Turks & Caicos has many including Mango Reef, Seven Stars Resort, Club Med (the original), and many others. I have a rasta friend of mine just did two weeks on Provo cooking for a private party. All expenses paid, and walked away with 8K for his trouble. They flew him in from Jamaica. Not too bad in my book. Anyway, look outside of the DR if you can't find what you're looking for here. You have to think outside of the box when getting work in the Caribbean.