Not so new member...introduction

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Hola...just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I've been on the site almost 1 1/2 years and I realized today that I hadn't posted a formal introduction. I am recently retired from the U.S. Army and decided to make Santiago my new "patrol base" for the time being. Depending on how things go over the next year, I will either stay in DR (not necessarily Santiago) or move on to wherever my wanderlust leads me. To this point I have found most of the posts here on DR1 informative and entertaining, though there have been a few head scratchers :) I look forward to continuing to learn from all of your collective experiences and maybe be able to share a few of my own as I settle into life here in the "platano" belt. I've already made one good battle buddy here in Santiago from this site and look forward to making more friendships. If there are any Veterans in the AO, let me know. I'm always open to having a beer and shooting the breeze :)

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Hola...just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I've been on the site almost 1 1/2 years and I realized today that I hadn't posted a formal introduction. I am recently retired from the U.S. Army and decided to make Santiago my new "patrol base" for the time being. Depending on how things go over the next year, I will either stay in DR (not necessarily Santiago) or move on to wherever my wanderlust leads me. To this point I have found most of the posts here on DR1 informative and entertaining, though there have been a few head scratchers :) I look forward to continuing to learn from all of your collective experiences and maybe be able to share a few of my own as I settle into life here in the "platano" belt. I've already made one good battle buddy here in Santiago from this site and look forward to making more friendships. If there are any Veterans in the AO, let me know. I'm always open to having a beer and shooting the breeze :)

As a fellow American, thank you for your service!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think you should say "FIRE Base"!!!!!!!!!
Lots of "Vets" here on DR1.US, & Canadian.
I think we came here to be in a "Combat Zone"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
US Navy, retired.

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Thanks all for the welcomes....CC yes I stand corrected.."Fire Base" would be more appropriate, since I was dropped into a hot LZ here in the Cibao...LoL BTW, my Dad is retired USN also...

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Welcome aboard and as fellow Americans we thank you for your service to protect our country and the world so we may enjoy such a beautiful place.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
VIMAN, you're doing it right ? seeing SG as a long term "patrol base" from which you reconnoiter the DR from a central position, then perhaps move on . . . and move on . . . and move on . . . until you find your heart's desire. It'll take a couple of years, but if you can't find it here, it doesn't exist. Take your time and enjoy.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Welcome aboard. I too, am a military retiree (chairforce), and considering moving to DR or some other caribbean country after my second retirement in about 2.5 yrs. For Mofongo, that pension (enlisted) ain't really all its touted. Pays the mortgage, with enough left over for beer money.

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Welcome aboard. I too, am a military retiree (chairforce), and considering moving to DR or some other caribbean country after my second retirement in about 2.5 yrs. For Mofongo, that pension (enlisted) ain't really all its touted. Pays the mortgage, with enough left over for beer money.

Rollout...I'm pretty low maintenance...just need enough to keep a roof over my head, clothes on my back, food in the fridge, and a COLD beer in my right hand :) Let me know if you decide to come on down to the DR land....

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Will do. With my two retirement incomes plus social security, I'm sure I could live like a king. Not so certain, however, that I'd be able to raise my BS threshold to the level required to live in the DR. On the other hand, I have a love affair with Presidente, that I don't want to end.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Welcome. BTW, I am a veteran - Army 82nd Airborne. I live right down the street from you too. If you stop in at the Calvos supermarket you may see me there. You may get me mixed up with the owner. :)

VIMAN68

Feb 15, 2013
Welcome. BTW, I am a veteran - Army 82nd Airborne. I live right down the street from you too. If you stop in at the Calvos supermarket you may see me there. You may get me mixed up with the owner. :)

Chip...where exactly is the Calvos supermarket? I don't recall seeing it before....