5 Stupid Things We Must Go Through to Obtain a DR Driver's License

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
This is part 1 about passing the "Theory" Test. Part 2 will be about passing the Driver's Test.

[video=youtube_share;3Vf6-t8VLKc]http://youtu.be/3Vf6-t8VLKc[/video]

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Hum Much different experience than I had! Agree with the 45 days, but what the hell. Did not have to obtain the good conduct, good part was no buscon's. Plus he is speaking of a US Expat experience, as others from countries that issue a national drivers license can exchange their countries license for a Dominican license without taking the test.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Hum Much different experience than I had! Agree with the 45 days, but what the hell. Did not have to obtain the good conduct, good part was no buscon's. Plus he is speaking of a US Expat experience, as others from countries that issue a national drivers license can exchange their countries license for a Dominican license without taking the test.

I am a Dominican, with a Domincan Cedula (I can Vote in the DR. My Cedula says that i am Dominican).

I am not talking about obtaining a Driver's License from a strictly an Expat experience--although my Russian girlfriend had to go through the exact same process that i did. We did this in Puerto Plata.

Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
back in the day it was 10 questions and you had to answer 7 of them correctly to pass. nice.

the place in POP looks like a dump, really. when i went there first time i could not believe it's a government office. mould on the walls, damaged roof leaking water on the seats in the waiting area... and there is a crippled guy outside "renting" shirts as many people (especially women) do not realize that for an official photo you need to cover your arms...

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Try getting a license in Canada, it takes you two years to get a full one!! First you take your test and if you pass you can drive the first two years with a 'novice' plate. After two years you then take another test!

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I just translate my German license on the consulate and they give me a dominican. Of course I have to pay the fee

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
back in the day it was 10 questions and you had to answer 7 of them correctly to pass. nice.

the place in POP looks like a dump, really. when i went there first time i could not believe it's a government office. mould on the walls, damaged roof leaking water on the seats in the waiting area... and there is a crippled guy outside "renting" shirts as many people (especially women) do not realize that for an official photo you need to cover your arms...

Cover your arms to the wrist? Or just can't be sleeveless?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I just translate my German license on the consulate and they give me a dominican. Of course I have to pay the fee

Sure, exchanging/trading-in your European or North American driver's license is another way of getting a Dominican driver's license, but i don't think everyone wants to get rid of an international driver's license for a Dominican one. My Norwegian Driver's license is good for 100 years. We have one for life. So, there was no way i was going to trade a Norwegian driver's license in for a Dominican driver's license that expires every 4 or 5 years.

My Norwegian license never expires.

Frank

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Frank, are you sure you have to "turn in" the other country's license? My understanding was that the consulate for the foreign country simply certifies the license and you keep the original license. US being the exception, because they have State issued instead of Federal issued driver's licenses.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
You don't have to trade in your license. I kept my license, of course I would never exange it for a Dominican
Sure, exchanging/trading-in your European or North American driver's license is another way of getting a Dominican driver's license, but i don't think everyone wants to get rid of an international driver's license for a Dominican one. My Norwegian Driver's license is good for 100 years. We have one for life. So, there was no way i was going to trade a Norwegian driver's license in for a Dominican driver's license that expires every 4 or 5 years.

My Norwegian license never expires.

Frank

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Cover your arms to the wrist? Or just can't be sleeveless?

no, just the top, roughly to the elbows. just few weeks ago i was there with a friend, really large dominicana. of course she had open arms top. so we go to the guy renting shirts and he offered her a tiny t-shirt with tweety the bird. ha ha ha ha. roughly size 0 or even some junior wear. she looked at him and said it was too small. so he pulled out a red t-shirt with a nintendo logo. i was cracking up like crazy.finally he managed to get a shiny top with greasy stains that she was only able to put on up to her titties (the top had under-titty rubber band). she was told it was good enough as they are only taking a photo of the top part.

errede...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
You don't have to trade in your license. I kept my license, of course I would never exange it for a Dominican

Oh, i did not know that. Interesting.

Well, i'm a sucker for new Kafkaesque experiences. i enjoyed the crazy process. i like seeing how the machine works.

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Frank, are you sure you have to "turn in" the other country's license? My understanding was that the consulate for the foreign country simply certifies the license and you keep the original license. US being the exception, because they have State issued instead of Federal issued driver's licenses.

I no longer have a US driver's license, but would that need to be turned in or exchanged?

Frank