reverse osmosis

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Anybody have experience with using RO here. Bottles are a pain. Who sells them?

I would do the installation.

It will be just for kit hen use for one person. I am in STI.

Thanks

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Google "under sink reverse osmosis filters" or some such.
They make them to run with the flow, and the filters can be chosen to filter out microbes.
Probably available here, but finding it will be a pain.
In Sg, try Robeyda Filters between Bartolom? Col?n and Sadahla on Padre Las Casas (little dear, but they got stuff).

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I have one since 8 years ago. working perfect.Filter Robeydo something like that Padre de las Casas in Santiago sell them but it is e[xpensiv . Cheaper on Amazon

Thanks

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014

Thanks
Hello Tom, is R.O. the right type of product to protect against bacteria & microbes? I was under the impresson something like UV inline water treatment with a filter downstream was the better way to protect. In early June I brought my water sample back to USA from Cabarete so I can test the water, its in the Lab now in Michigan awaiting the results. I too don't want bottles, and want to connect to my water dispenser in the fridge. If you interested in the results let me know. Best regards - Serge

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
More info. I went to Robeyda for RO, they have them. But.. For 80,000 rd and another brand with the same specs is available new from Amazon for 8,000 plus shipping. I will have one shipped in.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
More info. I went to Robeyda for RO, they have them. But.. For 80,000 rd and another brand with the same specs is available new from Amazon for 8,000 plus shipping. I will have one shipped in.

Please post the model you are getting if possible.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Maintaining" a "RO" water system will be a BIGGER pain!
The water "Going In" is filthy.
You will need a LOT of filters.
EXPENSIVE Filters.
You are in the DR, live with the "Botellones"!
You don't ever have to touch them yourself, "People" will do that for you!
I have a "Colmado Bottle Rack", with 22 bottles, and a company that delivers onto that rack, and takes away the empties.
20 pesos a bottle, and I give 5 pesos for each bottle delivered.
Usually 10 to 12 "empties.
We use about 2 bottles a day!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
APEC 50 gpm 5 stage w UV at Almacenes Unidos RD$10,000.00 +/-, been using ours now for a year +, no way to go back to bottellones....change primary filter once per month RD$225.00, all other every 6 months RD$800.00, take all of 5 minutes, great deal.

g'luck

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
You guys buying little ro's realize that the small systems you are talking about only recover about 33% meaning that two gallons of water goes down the drain for every gallon produced. Also, you need to know the overall conductivity of your water before purchasing one to insure that the membrane will handle the water you are wanting to treat. As mentioned in another post, pressure available to the feed source with the conductivity of your water equals your osmotic driving pressure required for the membrane you purchase to produce quality water. Good membranes are Filmtec, dupont, Osmonics, and Fastek. Filmtec's being the best.

Serge1960

Apr 2, 2014
guys I also have been researching this and have been told numerous times that UV treatment with RO is a great application, but in all of these Amazon links I opened I see RO Filtration but No UV treatment canister/cylinder . The RO is great when your water has many issues, but one of the worse is E-Coli & Coliform UV scramble & kill the two types of bacteria's, my water samples came back really very good ( tested in an accredited lab in the states)in Cabarete..except Coliform and hardness of 12 & since our complex has a 10,000 gallon holding cistern Under the Swimming pool, the maintenance people have been throwing in chlorine to treat, but if they step up the Chlorine & UV was used complex wide after the Domestic water pressure pump , no one in the complex would need bottles anymore. My 2 cents -Serge

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
@Serge.. because you have hardness of 11 grains per gallon, UV would not be a wise choice unless the water was softened first. Calcium would build up around the quartz sleeve where the UV bulb lives clouding it just like the glassware in your home and the light would not get through to kill off the bacteria. If you have e-coli, simply.purchase a cheap chemical feed pump for dosing chlorine and follow up with a carbon filter to remove the chlorine after its killed off the bacteria. This would be the safest bet. Never use an RO system on bacterialy unsafe water either. It's a bad idea. If you have a well, disinfect it with bleach and retest.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
CC has it right. The filter systems are expensive, high maintenance and a general pain in the ass. As bad as the Damn interter/battery systems. I'm looking to do less, worry less and relax more. The plastic bottles, a rack and an electric cold water dispenser is fine. Bottle delivery guys fill the rack, house keeper fills the cold water machine and I am responsible for the drinking.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
CC has it right. The filter systems are expensive, high maintenance and a general pain in the ass. As bad as the Damn interter/battery systems. I'm looking to do less, worry less and relax more. The plastic bottles, a rack and an electric cold water dispenser is fine. Bottle delivery guys fill the rack, house keeper fills the cold water machine and I am responsible for the drinking. In Sosua we are paying 35 pesos a bottle. Is 20 the going rate or is CC getting a volume deal?

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Some years ago their were a test on different bottled water label and if I remember right they found bottled water never was filtered. How do I know the bottle I buy is filtered. In a lot of other matter you don't trust Dominican work and label. How can you trust the water you buy is filters. Thats because I use my own filtered water since 8 years . We are 2 adult, 3 children and two service and nobody was sick in the last 8 years.
I don't won't a discussion I just like to give my experience
CC has it right. The filter systems are expensive, high maintenance and a general pain in the ass. As bad as the Damn interter/battery systems. I'm looking to do less, worry less and relax more. The plastic bottles, a rack and an electric cold water dispenser is fine. Bottle delivery guys fill the rack, house keeper fills the cold water machine and I am responsible for the drinking. In Sosua we are paying 35 pesos a bottle. Is 20 the going rate or is CC getting a volume deal?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Google bottled water is like russian roulette. . At least in the states, there is IBWA.. The DR has nothing.