Cooking classes - local foods

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
I have another question for anyone who lives in the Punta Cana area.

Does you know of any local cooking classes available? I love to take cooking classes on vacation. I would love to find a Dominican woman/man who is willing to teach me a few dishes.

In other countries I've been to classes in people's homes - not chefs - just home cooks, and I've learned so much from them. I actually prefer learning from people who cook for their families as opposed to professional chefs.

I'm not looking for organized schools or anything fancy- just a local who wants to make a few dollars, who really loves to cook, who would be willing to spend a few hours showing me how he/she makes a few different dishes such as mofongo (I'm horrible at it!), a good locrio, maybe whole fried fish Dominican style which is one of my favorite all-time meals down there, etc.

When we were at Playa Coson the woman cooking at Restaurant Luis invited me back to her kitchen to show me how she was cooking everything and all the while she was explaining how she seasoned everything, what she was using, etc. Same at Macao. I just loved it. That's what I'm looking for if possible. It's fine if it's only in Spanish as I speak Spanish.

BlondeJustice

May 28, 2014
Too bad you're not in the Cabarete area. Carmen ?(you might be able to get her contact # through Orilla del Mar) is an absolutely fabulous local cook who gives spanish lessons while she's showing you how to cook. Her cooking is absolutely delicious and her rates are quite reasonable.

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Oh, I would love to get her contact information anyway! We travel to Cabarete a few times a year so yes, I would definitely like tohook up with her. I'll see if Orilla del Mar will give me her number. That's just the kind of person I want to try and find in the PC area for this trip. There's nothing like a local to teach you!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you could try talking to any of the cooks in thosebeach shacks... that do the fish, and all those excellent other tidbits.

often, they will come to your home to cook a dinner.

or, try that.... look for a chef for hire--- have him/her come to cook a dinner - you set the menu and they'll show you how to do it.

when we have our 'regular' to cook... I rarely leave the kitchen in the prep stages.
She shops the right ingredients, bla bla bla.

we plant our veg garden in accordance w/ what we/they want for the cooking

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
William - GREAT idea!!! Never thought of that. I'll buy what they need and they can come show me how it's done.

Frank - I've actually bought that before but only used it once. Maybe I'll pick up a bottle when I get back down there and try it again.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
William - GREAT idea!!! Never thought of that. I'll buy what they need and they can come show me how it's done.

Frank - I've actually bought that before but only used it once. Maybe I'll pick up a bottle when I get back down there and try it again.

Bklynny, I was being sarcastic. Real cooks use fresh ingredients and I believe you can do better without this liquid. ;)

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Frank - good to know. I didn't know if you liked that stuff so when I said I bought it and only used it once, I was trying to be nice. LOL..