Finding an apartment in the DR

gcgipson

May 26, 2014
What is the best way to go about finding an apartment in the DR? From what I have seen online the prices are pretty jacked up (high.) When I look for apartments in the Philippines they are all reasonably priced, but finding such a selection in the DR seems nearly impossible online. My budget is around $150 - $200 a month for a one bedroom. Thanks!

Apr 10, 2006
You need to come here and find it.... Online you most likely won't find something in that range. For about $250 we rent a 3 bedroom/3 bath + domestic quarters house in Santiago that is new construction.

Also, you will need to leave a 2 month "deposit" and possibly pay one month commission to the person that found you. Though I learned that the commission is negotiable.

I used this website as reference: (it's in Spanish)
Apartamentos en alquiler en Santiago | Corotos.com.do

There are a few in Santiago that fit your budget but not sure where you are looking or how picky you are.
Apart-estudio en las Americas detras caribe tours | Santiago de los Caballeros | Corotos.com.do
Estudio en Valle Verde Incluye el agua.(A-994) | Santiago de los Caballeros | Corotos.com.do
Aparta-est. deluxe a una esq. utesa | Santiago de los Caballeros | Corotos.com.do

Good Luck

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Also know that the rental prices start very high. There are many, many units available for rent and wth a little effort you can find what you're looking for. But you definitely need to come here to negotiate.

gcgipson

May 26, 2014
Thanks for the words of advise everyone, much appreciated. From what I gather I would have to do apartment hunting in the DR on the ground and not online.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"gc" has a few other post here.
In one he states that he like the "Phillipines" as well as the DR. and asks for our advice.
I gave him mine, but forgot to add the most important,so I will NOW!!!!!
The DR is VERY EXPENSIVE, especially in the major cities.
You won't find many people on the streets that speak English, unlike the "PI".
EVERY dominican you ever meet WILL, ask for SOMETHING from you!!!!!!!!
It does seem "Cultural"!
The up side is, you CAn,..."Just say NO"!!!!!!!
and they won't be offended.
They are USED to it!
They have a "Food Chain" of people they ask for "Stuff" when they want something.
You, as a "Gringo" will automatically be "Numero Uno" on that "Chain"!
The faster you realize that you won't be "Loved" more if you "Give More" the more money will remain in yur own pocket, not in Theirs!
When I was in the "PI" I NEVER felt that EVERYONE wanted a "Piece" of me, here I KNOW everyone wants ,"All Of Me"!
There, THAT should do IT!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Oh",...How old are you?
R U a "Drunk"???
What is your monthly "Budget"?
And R U Looking For "True Love", or just to "Rent Some"???

gcgipson

May 26, 2014
"gc" has a few other post here.
In one he states that he like the "Phillipines" as well as the DR. and asks for our advice.
I gave him mine, but forgot to add the most important,so I will NOW!!!!!
The DR is VERY EXPENSIVE, especially in the major cities.
You won't find many people on the streets that speak English, unlike the "PI".
EVERY dominican you ever meet WILL, ask for SOMETHING from you!!!!!!!!
It does seem "Cultural"!
The up side is, you CAn,..."Just say NO"!!!!!!!
and they won't be offended.
They are USED to it!
They have a "Food Chain" of people they ask for "Stuff" when they want something.
You, as a "Gringo" will automatically be "Numero Uno" on that "Chain"!
The faster you realize that you won't be "Loved" more if you "Give More" the more money will remain in yur own pocket, not in Theirs!
When I was in the "PI" I NEVER felt that EVERYONE wanted a "Piece" of me, here I KNOW everyone wants ,"All Of Me"!
There, THAT should do IT!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Oh",...How old are you?
R U a "Drunk"???

""Oh",...How old are you?"

"R U a "Drunk"???"

I don't touch liquor.

Minus my obligations here in the states, probably around $600 - $800 a month.

I'm flexible lol. I'm really not considering going to DR just for flesh though, as I am deeply in love with both the history of DR and Haiti. Seeing the forts from the early 1500s in Santo Domingo was mind blowing. Yeah, like any man I like having sex, but exploring and learning are just as rewarding for me.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"gc",.....SORRY, you can't make it here on that small amount!
NEVER Going to happen!
If you owned a shack on the beach, no running water, no electricity, had fruit trees, a big garden, lots of chickens, and NO Dominicans with you, you MIGHT make it!
But You DON't!!!!!!!
It cost money to travel around the DR & Haiti.
You have to eat on your travels.
You have to find a place to stay at night too.
All that cost M-O-N-E-Y, more than 800 a month.
The DR is NOT some undiscovered "Pacific Island Paradise", it's much more like "Camden" but HOT All Year Long, not just in August!
In fact, you would be much better off in Camden!
Lots of "Free Cheese" available there!
Not even a free "Pan de Agua" here!
If you can enjoy life in the "PI" for 6 to 800 US a month, GO THERE!
You won't last long here on that amount.
If you DO come, buy a round trip ticket!
You will be using it!
SOON!
Too bad, you sound like a nice person.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

gcgipson

May 26, 2014
The usual statement is "Dominicans only wants money from me"
Lots of expats complains about the continuous begging from lambones, sankypankyes, windowcleaners, prostitutas, etc?

this is the refrain:

ayudame mi mama ta enfelma
ayudame mi abuelo se murio
ayudame necesito la leche por el ni?o
ayudame la vaina eta dura nose ke hacer
??..
(feel free to add)

But think about it: What is your role in this country? Have you anything to share apart being a rich gringo and having dollars in your pocket? have you a special skill to deserve respect to? Are you a so handsome man that every 20yo girl wants to make love with you? Are you a so charismatic person that every dominicano wants to sit at your table in the cafeteria?

I'm used to make myself this type of questions: sometimes I have some kind of answer, sometimes not.

At this point, the initial post is completely hijacked?. sorry

I hear you.

However, in the PI I saw poverty that makes the DR's poverty look like child's play, and yet the shakedown for gringo money was nowhere near as intense in the PI as it is in the DR. With that said, the DR has some huge benefits over the PI (like property ownership, for example. In the PI foreigners can not own land.)

gcgipson

May 26, 2014
"gc",.....SORRY, you can't make it here on that small amount!
NEVER Going to happen!
If you owned a shack on the beach, no running water, no electricity, had fruit trees, a big garden, lots of chickens, and NO Dominicans with you, you MIGHT make it!
But You DON't!!!!!!!
It cost money to travel around the DR & Haiti.
You have to eat on your travels.
You have to find a place to stay at night too.
All that cost M-O-N-E-Y, more than 800 a month.
The DR is NOT some undiscovered "Pacific Island Paradise", it's much more like "Camden" but HOT All Year Long, not just in August!
In fact, you would be much better off in Camden!
Lots of "Free Cheese" available there!
Not even a free "Pan de Agua" here!
If you can enjoy life in the "PI" for 6 to 800 US a month, GO THERE!
You won't last long here on that amount.
If you DO come, buy a round trip ticket!
You will be using it!
SOON!
Too bad, you sound like a nice person.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ha ha, thanks. I was thinking that the PI is cheaper to live than the DR. You can get a decent one bedroom apartment in the PI for $100 a month.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

Minus my obligations here in the states, probably around $600 - $800 a month.

It'll be tough to live near the beach on that. You can get apartments around $5500 RD farther away from the beach, and you can find $300-400/month without a pool in the complex.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
for $100 / month you will get a wooden shack with no plumbing or electricity or running water....and it will be either miles and miles away from the shore, or part of a very dodgy Barrio where I wouldn't go without a Sherman Tank and 1000 guards.

gcgipson

May 26, 2014
for $100 / month you will get a wooden shack with no plumbing or electricity or running water....and it will be either miles and miles away from the shore, or part of a very dodgy Barrio where I wouldn't go without a Sherman Tank and 1000 guards.

Well that is good to know, and I am glad I came to the forums here to find out.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

Depends on how good his Spanish is. There are places near El Cortecito in Bavaro that go for $4k-6k RD/month that are studio and 1br apartments (along Av Espana and Av EEUU). They are indeed rustic but liveable, and far from being a shack in the middle of nowhere.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
It all depends on you and what your standerds of living are. I can live on $800 a month but I have spent a lot of time and money seting up a conforitable place for my self in santiago. And had a lit of help from some other gringos . At one point in my life I had big money like cccc. But now I would love to have $800. Any way it takes time nothing is overnight .

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Not being able to purchase real estate in the DR would have saved a LOT of foreigners "MILLIONS" of dollars!
"BoatCook" I may have a lot of dollars, but it gets divided AT LEAST 8 ways!!!!!!!!
When you think about it, we do live on 6 to 800 US a month.
EACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:

white light

Sep 25, 2006
Depends on a lot of factors. I rent a three bedroom house for less that $200 a month, not furnished, but not at gringo priceseither.
I live in POP and I would like to know where your house is located as I would be interested in renting. I have lived here for eleven years, but need to downsize. Please contact me thank you.