What does "gasto mayor" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2006
Yes, I know that it translates as "major expense(s)" or something like that. The thing is that a friend in Barahona says that her cedula needs to be renewed, and because of something dealing with "gasto mayor", the local Barahona office cannot renew it and she was told that she must go to Sto. Domingo to get her cedula renewed. The officials in Barahona say that there is a problem with "el sistema", which I assume means the computer registration in Barahona. There are apparently a lot of people with the same problem: more people get turned away, I am told, than get new cedulas.

Does anyone have information about what this problem is, and why they cannot deal with it in Barahona?
She is a native of Barahona, and has lived in the capital and in Azua previously, but has not moved since her last cedula was issued.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Perhaps they found a mistake on her birth certificate that will require some extra work and expense? Or maybe she needs a new BC?

Aug 6, 2006
Are you sure you don't mean Gastos M?dicos Mayores?

=============================================================
I did not receive this information directly, so I do not know the exact wording that was given.

Let us assume that I did mean this. Then what? Why would this make it impossible to get a new cedula issued in Barahona, where she has lived for at least the past six years.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
I'm speculating so I'll let those more knowledgable weigh in. Did they change the process to require medical tests or verification of bc?

[video=youtube;McUv6HgZYTg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McUv6HgZYTg[/video]

Aug 6, 2006
She will be going to SD soon, anyway, perhaps.

She was born in a place called El Majagual, near Cabral, which is not far from Barahona, and has lived in Barahona most of her life.

If they have a photo, fingerprints, and a place of birth from a previous cedula, what more would they need? And how would the know they needed it?

Perhaps her name is not recorded or is misrecorded in some way in the government database.
She was asked for her blood type,and got that done and turned in the certificate given her, so I don't think that is the hangup.

What I do not comprehend is that if there is a national database and it is properly connected to the provincial hubs, why make it necessary for people to travel to the capital?

In Barahona they claim that their system was not working properly. Who knows why.

Last edited:

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
The new cedulas have blood type on them.... could that be it?
That could be part of it but it sounds more like she may have a bc issue like an error with printed name, surname, address or date of birth etc. I think each citizen has to verify certain info on the birth certificate and also provide info on blood type; not sure if this has to be done through the Dominican Red Cross and/or provincial agencies. I'm guessing based on what I read awhile ago but I'm sure others have precise info.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just send her the MONEY!
It's just a pretext anyway!
"Mi Madre esta Interna"!!!!

The only "Gasto Mayor" is going to be YOURS!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Since everyone is guessing, I will guess too: maybe they said 'desgaste mayor'. This would mean the old cedula is so deteriorated and they can't use it in a decentral office to issue a new one?

Aug 6, 2006
Since everyone is guessing, I will guess too: maybe they said 'desgaste mayor'. This would mean the old cedula is so deteriorated and they can't use it in a decentral office to issue a new one?

=================================================
I agree that this sounds logical, but I have seen her cedula several times, and it was in fine condition. She is very careful with her stuff.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012

By George..
I think he's got it.
I think we all know that officials of any sort in the D.R. hate (with a passion) any form of worn out paper. Why a one hundred peso note with a bent corner was enough to send any cashier into a paroxysm of fear and hatred...Leastways back in the day when I was still hanging my hat down there.
Plus..
Another thing I think we all know is that any word or combination of words that begin with a g have an st and end with a vowel will send most expats into a paroxysm of fear and hatred...The assumption being that someone is trying to pry some of those good old yankee dollars out of their still warm hands.
;)

donP

Dec 14, 2008
1001 Guesses

... The officials in Barahona say that there is a problem with "el sistema" (...)
Does anyone have information about what this problem is, and why they cannot deal with it in Barahona

Well, if the JCE jefa in Barahona is unable or unwilling to explain what is wrong with their system or your friend's cedula, then all our guesses are in vain. :tired:

donP

Aug 6, 2006
Well, she went to Sto Domingo, presented her cedula and the blood type thing and got her new cedula. The problem was that the "sistema" in Barahona was not functioning. I think that means that her cedula number was not connected to her name in the database for some reason and the sistema in Barahona did not allow this to be changed or updated.

Apparently gasto mayor was not the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.