So I'm watching a local TV news/events show here in Ottawa, ON Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
I mean local. They are promoting Brugal Dry?

JOIN THE DRY MOVEMENT.

Quite surprised to see this type of information being promoted. I guess Brugal (or the importers) are making an attempt to broaden the world's knowledge of their product.

Still no exactly sure what DRY refers to I thought it was a beer making process from Japan.

ggparts

Aug 6, 2006
As a rule "dry" means more alcohol and less water, which in wine means a wine that is not sweet because more of the sugar has been turned to alcohol. As a rule, expensive wines (Chateau de Rothschild) are more expensive than sweet wines (Mogan David, Manischevitz, Thunderbird).

180 proof Rum is rather dangerous to drink without adding something wet, and generally feels unpleasant in the mouth. At least MY mouth, perhaps not everyone's.

I have not heard of dry beer or a dry beer process, but I am not an expert, and it is likely someone has bragged of a dry beer process. Special processes are the usual way brewers get people to pay extra for something that is probably not all that special.

The "Dry Movement" is a campaign to cause people to unite around a product.

Dr Pepper did something similar when they showed a lot of young people dressed like Mork from Ork in the famous "I'm a Pepper" Campaign. More adman hoakum.

I went to a rum factory where they told us that the bought the alcohol in bulk from the US, mixed it with purified water, and put it in barrels formerly used for Bourbon Whiskey. The usual industrial process for making alcohol does not involve fermenting sugar cane juice, but burning natural gas in a controlled atmosphere and then refining out the impurities. NOT a romantic process, nor one that anyone can claim was a family secret passed down through generations from Colonial times.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I went to a rum factory where they told us that the bought the alcohol in bulk from the US, mixed it with purified water, and put it in barrels formerly used for Bourbon Whiskey. The usual industrial process for making alcohol does not involve fermenting sugar cane juice, but burning natural gas in a controlled atmosphere and then refining out the impurities. NOT a romantic process, nor one that anyone can claim was a family secret passed down through generations from Colonial times.

which factory?

Aug 6, 2006
It was in Santiago, either Bermudez or Brugal.

I do not doubt for a minute that using industrially produced alcohol and burned barrels as described , one could actually make a rum that tastes exactly like it was the result of some ancient traditional recipe passed down through the ages. The main ingredients of rum are unsophisticated: purified water and ethyl alcohol. You can surely do all sorts of things to a mixture of alcohol and water to give is a pleasant color and taste.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
brugal does not import alcohol from USA. it is produced in DR from melasa made in DR from sugar cane grown in DR. the distillery is located in san pedro. the alcohol is then brought to POP where is is mixed with purified water and then aged. the barrels for aging are imported from the states and europe.

the flavour comes from the aging process as well as mixing blends of alcohol. each type of rum is a blend of rums of different ages.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Brm?dez has its own distillery that is still going full blast. Why would they import alcohol???...it is the sugar cane alcohol that gives rum its distinctive flavor.
The barrels ARE imported from the US distillers and used for aging.

HB

Aug 6, 2006
I only know that this is what the woman who gave the tour told us. I suppose it could have been Barcel?. This was back around 1983.
It surprised me as well. Several people questioned her about this. We were all surprised.

I bet burning natural gas in a controlled atmosphere and then purifying it is cheaper than fermentation. It would surely be cheaper. Companies are in business to make money. If tradition costs and does not produce better results, goodbye tradition.

I will wager that Captain Morgan Spiced Rum has not one thing to do with the Pirate Morgan.
Trix is never eaten by rabbits, nor do toucans have anything to do with Froot Loops. I doubt that Froot Loops have much to do with Fruit.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they do taste different, or so i am told. i would not know, after you put coca cola in it it all tastes the same.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I recommend the "rhum agricole" produced in Martinique and Guadeloupe. It is made from unprocessed cane rather than processed by-products (molasses, sugar, etc.). It has a woodier, more aged flavor than other Caribbean rum. It's a very different sort of product, neither better nor worse, but different. It is mixed with cola in resorts but the traditional way to drink it is neat, like a brandy, or in a short cocktail of 2 parts rhum agricole and 1 part cane liquor and a squeeze of lime called a 'ti punch (petit punch). The leading Martinique brand is Cl?ment. Another sought after brand is Trois Rivi?res, named after the town where it's produced near the southern tip of Martinique across from St. Lucia. I have a bottle of the 30 year old Trois Rivi?res I use sparingly. It's magic.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I recommend the "rhum agricole" produced in Martinique and Guadeloupe. It is made from unprocessed cane rather than processed by-products (molasses, sugar, etc.). It has a woodier, more aged flavor than other Caribbean rum. It's a very different sort of product, neither better nor worse, but different. It is mixed with cola in resorts but the traditional way to drink it is neat, like a brandy, or in a short cocktail of 2 parts rhum agricole and 1 part cane liquor and a squeeze of lime called a 'ti punch (petit punch). The leading Martinique brand is Cl?ment. Another sought after brand is Trois Rivi?res, named after the town where it's produced near the southern tip of Martinique across from St. Lucia. I have a bottle of the 30 year old Trois Rivi?res I use sparingly. It's magic.

Very familiar with Rhum from Martinique and Guadeloupe (and ti punch), just too strong to my taste. I had some Dominican friends taste it during the holidays and even them thought it was very strong.

I liked Rhum from DR cause it is easier to drink and taste so good with coke/juice :)

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
[video=youtube;0HR19AEjZSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0HR19AEjZSk[/video]

Molsen Dry.

Aug 6, 2006
I did not consult Google for any part of this. I visited a fabrica de ron in Santiago and am just telling you what they told me.

I know that although vodka is supposedly just water and alcohol, that there is a vast differenc in taste between Popov, the cheapest of all vodkas, and Smirnoff, which used to be more or less the standard. Popov vodka is vile, nasty stuff. Smirnoff only tastes like alcohol.

I do not like the taste of hard liquor, unless it is girlie stuff like sloe gin. I find margaritas good if made with decent tequila. My favorite is Viuda de Romero, which comes in a green bottle and seems to be unavailable in the US.

Two Presidente grandes is as much as I ever drink these days. I do not find drunkenness amusing. Spinning rooms and vomiting are unpleasant and I have eschewed drinking that much since I was around 22.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I know that although vodka is supposedly just water and alcohol, that there is a vast differenc in taste between Popov, the cheapest of all vodkas, and Smirnoff, which used to be more or less the standard. Popov vodka is vile, nasty stuff. Smirnoff only tastes like alcohol.

Stoli IMO is the best!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
vodka is alcohol and water but the alcohol comes from different sources: sugar, potatoes, grains.

Aug 6, 2006
One can assume that the "wax" in Stoli is chemically different than the "wax" in aguardiente.

I have never tried Stoli. I have tried Belvedere, which claims to be Polish, and Grey Goose, which claims to be French. Both are about like Smirnoff to me. Better than Popov, which is, at least to me, vile.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
belvedere IS polish, produced in poland.

not sure about the waxy stoli. seems very strange to me. i keep all vodka in the freezer, it pours like oil, almost, you can see change in texture. but it does not "separate".

Aug 6, 2006
Perhaps your fridge is not cold enough.

You may need to approximate the chill of a Novosibirsk snowbank in February. Neither Smirnoff, nor Belvedere, nor Grey Goose has had anything waxy about it in my fridge.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
From rum to beer to vodka..... lost it's tenuous DR connection. I was going to move this to Off Topic, but the OP doesn't have access, so it's closed instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.