project of a law prohibiting open alcohol bottles in cars/motos

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
They were enforcing this some years ago, cost me two bottles each time I got caught...

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
One reason I like living here.. I drink and drive. all of the islands allow this behavior.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my grandmother was killed by a guy who thought he could handle the drink and drove a truck one bright morning after heavy drinking the night before.

Aug 6, 2006
In March, on the highway to Barahona, a couple of truck drivers got drunk and decided to race on the highway and one of them smashed into a guagua and many passengers were killed and others maimed. How could the thrill of a couple of truckers possibly justify this?

May 5, 2007
Una ley prohibir?a llevar alcohol destapado en auto o motor - DiarioLibre.com

a new law is proposed that will prohibit open alcohol bottles (or whatever containers) to be carried in cars/motos. all is nice but why not execute the existing law that prohibits drunk driving? i know it exists. yet no one gives a f**k.

note the commentators do not seem to approve this initiative.

A lot easier to prove an open container versus being "drunk?"

Does DR have minimum BAC for being impaired?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we talked about this before, i feel. there were supposed to be controls but nothing came out of this.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
How sad your life must be.....

Actually, my life is wonderful. FYI, even the US owned Caribbean islands have no open container laws. They also have very stringent DUI laws too. There is a huge difference driving home after work or from the beach drinking a beer and driving home sloshed after a night out drinking to access. I'm not one to frequent bars nor am I a habitual drinker. I simply like having the choice to drink a beer in my car while driving home without breaking any laws. This does not take away a persons responsibilities.

May 5, 2007
Open container laws are NOT going to stop idiots from driving intoxicated.

It simply makes an easier law to enforce No need to prove if the person was truly under influence etc, simple observation of open container

I know nothing of DR law, probable cause for traffic stop, PC to give field sobriety ..is filed sobriety and or observation reason for breathalyzer, standard for breathalyzer Breathalyzers are complicated machines, lots to go wrong

I wouldn’t think penalty for open container is as severe as OUI?

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
All Dominicans drive their cars like they are drunk. So what is the difference, are they drunk or not? Even a circus monkey can drive a car better than a Dominican.

Open container law just gives the AMET the right to search inside the car and steal something.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
One reason I like living here.. I drink and drive. all of the islands allow this behavior.
^^This is the right point of view.^^

When you enter this country, you agree with two things:
1. You can do whatever you want, because laws are not enforced at all. (Have fun!)
2. Your life now costs 0 dollars 0 cents. (If you don't like this fact, just exit the country as soon as possible.)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
must we adopt every single law that exists in the USA? i am against drunk driving just as much as the next guy is. i do not even drink alcohol, except on very rare social occasions. however, what is next??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. You can do whatever you want, because laws are not enforced at all. (Have fun!)
2. Your life now costs 0 dollars 0 cents. (If you don't like this fact, just exit the country as soon as possible.)

the problem is, however, that:
1. everyone else can do whatever they want, because f**k you, that's why.
2. life if someone you kill accidentally will cost you all you have.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
the problem is, however, that:
1. everyone else can do whatever they want, because f**k you, that's why.
read again:

----------------

2. life if someone you kill accidentally will cost you all you have.
In most cases the life of a regular Dominican will cost you 10–30 thousand dollars and no prison time, if you know how to deal with this kind of situations. Of course, some stupid gringos pay much more.