Residencia Renewal after expire date

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
Hi,
how Long time after the residencia is ex?ired you can still renew it? Can it be 10 months or even 2 years?
Is there a Limit in time for that?

After that time do you Need to start over completely new with the process, which means Visa and so on?

Thank you for your Feedback.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Believe it is 45 days. That is, you can start the process after the expiration date but you have to plan to have the renewal issued and in your hands on or before the 45th day.

After the date, you may have to start over, but depends on how lenient migration may be.

Regards,

PJT

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Hi,
how Long time after the residencia is ex?ired you can still renew it? Can it be 10 months or even 2 years?

After that time do you Need to start over completely new with the process, which means Visa and so on?

There is a penalty for that. A friend of mine renewed his residence 8 years after it was expired but he paid a fortune! I don't know exactly how much.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I think the penalty is 500 pesos per month. I never heard about a 45 days limit. I do know you can apply for renewal 45 days BEFORE your residence voids. I actually hope there is no 45 limit. I am supposed to leave a few days before my residence expires and will come back 1 month later, leaving me only 15 days, too less to have the new residence in hand. Not able to check on the website of migration, since they exceeded bandwidth......!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There is a penalty for that. A friend of mine renewed his residence 8 years after it was expired but he paid a fortune! I don't know exactly how much.

This highly suggests the 45 days is a grace period and then for each shortfall month of not renewing there is a fee. The migration website did have a table of fees. However, it appears its website is down.

Regards,

PJT

Feb 7, 2007
I heard the grace period after expiration was 30 days, and you could renew 45 days before the expiration date. I have not heard of 45 days after expiration date. After your grace period is up, I heard there was 300 pesos per month fee (500 for cedula) but again don't take my word for it.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I heard the grace period after expiration was 30 days, and you could renew 45 days before the expiration date. I have not heard of 45 days after expiration date. After your grace period is up, I heard there was 300 pesos per month fee (500 for cedula) but again don't take my word for it.

That makes sense...the same 30 days you get when you enter as a tourist.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Hi,

One year ago I had correspondence with a lady in the migracion office. Asked for a friend, whose
residencia is expired since 13 years (he had been out of the country, now returned).My question was if he has to pay the overstay-fee of 400 Pesos/month for all this years.
Her answer:
"
Buenos dias se?ora Ute,

Lamentablemente le corresponde pagar todos los atrasos a partir de ultima renovacion.

Saludos,"

As his first residencia had been done b e f o r e 1996 the procedure would be easy as usual before the new
laws in 2012, means without new medical examen etc.

Just this lot of money for overstay..........:rolleyes:

I do not know if since last June (2013) something changed again in the law. Our friend meanwhile had been in his
homecountry again, returned 2 weeks ago and now is thinking what to do.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
One year ago I had correspondence with a lady in the migracion office. Asked for a friend, whose
residencia is expired since 13 years (he had been out of the country, now returned).My question was if he has to pay the overstay-fee of 400 Pesos/month for all this years.
Her answer:
"
Buenos dias se?ora Ute,

Lamentablemente le corresponde pagar todos los atrasos a partir de ultima renovacion.

Saludos,"

As his first residencia had been done b e f o r e 1996 the procedure would be easy as usual before the new
laws in 2012, means without new medical examen etc.

Just this lot of money for overstay..........:rolleyes:

I do not know if since last June (2013) something changed again in the law. Our friend meanwhile had been in his
homecountry again, returned 2 weeks ago and now is thinking what to do.

I'd prefer to pay the overstay fee than to start all over again and be subject to the new system of x years a temporary residence. It's about 50,000 pesos, but I think that's worth it.