buying a new car like Kia or Hyundai

theconsul

May 6, 2014
www.project8.biz
Hey people,

We are thinking about buying a new car.

No more 6000cc, gas monsters but a 2-2700cc gas-friendly car

i can find the official Kia and Hyundai websites for the DR but are there some dealers located in Santiago or Puerto Plata?

Why hyundai or Kia, the latest reviews of their 4*4 suv's are pretty good and probably you won't find another 4*4 for that price (maybe Suzuki).

Also the Subaru is pretty solid but as far as i remember i never seen one around.

So: do you know any official dealers? Which companies should i stay away from? Any tips or recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Tc

Aug 6, 2006
I have found that the best info on frequency of repair and cost of ownership are available from Consumers Reports.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm sure the Commander has his/her reasons for disliking the Koreans, et al but many people are satisfied with Kia/Hyundai.

Also, FORD (even 'tho you diss them) make a good product.

You really can't go too far wrong with your list.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Im very pleasantly surprised of the comfort level of our 2010 santa fe. I do feel it a bit unstable , which might be due to the suspension that might be done at US standards (just guessing), since I imported the car from the US. Going to have that checked out. Motor: excellent and not too thirsty (2.4), about 15mpg in the city and 25mpg highway (petrol). Good sound system, blue tooth working excellent with voice commands.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Me tooooo, bought one in 2011 and driving position is great a like a little sports car. I have a audi5 at home and like this car better:classic: Before someone has to ask then why didn't I buy on in the states, well they they don't import it (only Rogue, ughhhh) and a good dealer in Puerto Plata!! This is the one and you can get 4wheeel drive and gooodies if your so inclined ....

singletravel

Nissan Qashqai. Same price, better car. I bought one and love it.

2014 Nissan Qashqai SUV | new car sales price: Car News- CarsGuide

Jan 9, 2004
Aren't those Consumer report reviews just for US models? Are they as useful here for the models made for non US markets?

Correct.

Consumer Reports only tests automobiles made in the US, or made for and imported into the US.

Cars not made for the US market can/do have differences....even among the same models. Airbags, catalytic converters, tire size/quality/sheet metal thickness/seat suspension....lots and lots of differences....that makes comparison difficult.

To the OP's question: If its between Kia and Hyundai....its Hyundai. While Hyundai bought Kia a few years ago, their quality, fit/finish still lags behind Hyundai.

Subaru is head and shoulders above both....but I suspect parts/service may be a problem in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

texan

Apr 1, 2014
I think Hyundai and Kia have both gotten better with looks and quality. I know more people who own a Hyundai then a Kia. I know a lot that own them in the USA and several who own them and bought them in DR.

I have rented Chevy Aveo, Kia Rio, Hyundai accent and Hyundai Tuscon. The Aveo was the worst and the smallest. I think I like the Accent over the Rio but it might cost more.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Do you really need a SUV 4x4? These days the roads are pretty good for most sedans...

Where do you drive?

Im actually happy to have a SUV, even in the capital. The speed bumps are often too high for a normal sedan (I have a peugeot 307 and sometimes I have to drive like if I have a ferrari to take the bump. In rain season some parts of the capital are no-go area for a sedan. If you use a car only to drive to the supermarket I agree a sedan would do.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
4*4 is a must but does not have to be full

I don't know if 4x4 is a must. Depends were you live and where all you travel. I have driven a lot of the DR without 4 x 4. There are some areas that I might have explored if I had a 4 x 4. If you rarely need the 4 x 4 it might be cheaper to rent one if a trip requires one.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we never had 4x4. suv is simply better because if the roads and the weather. not a must, just better.