Just got robbed by Police...

Status
Not open for further replies.

silkesmo

Jan 17, 2014
I was parked on the side of the road adjusting my shorts so that my wallet didn't fall out while I was driving. 2 Policia Nacional, both young boys, pulled up to me and began harassing me. I remained calm, showed my papers and didn't make a fuss as they went through my pasola looking for contraband. Then the shorter one began smacking me and threatening to cut my hair with a pocket knife I had in my pasola. They then ignored me as they harassed a few working girls as they passed. I asked for my knife back, and they again slapped me. I again stayed calm and resisted all my training to disarm both of them, and calmly asked for my property back so i can leave. they then took off with my wallet and my knife.

I'm not going to express my feelings here because I just want honest opinions. Is this worth taking action through the office of criminal intelligence (us embassy) and/or police station or should I just let it go? I live in puerto plata.

Can we please give helpful info only please>?

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
You were right not to resist. I see a lot of these guys on there days off playing baseball and they are very athletic and would probably put you in the hurt locker both physically and financially. For some reason they profiled you as an easy mark with no consequences.
You said they threatened to cut your hair. I am not suggesting that there behavior is appropriate but maybe they thought you were a pot smoking hippie type. Tourists and business guys have little to no problems.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
I would thread carefully on this.

1. You should not let it go - it was in your hometown - they probably have your name and can repeat if they wish
2. I would seek the advice of a locally well connected lawyer and have him intercede with the local LE so as to prevent this from happening again, make sure you get the name and number from a medium/high ranking LE person.
3. Report the incident to your embassy.
4. If nothing to valuable was taken I would advise on stopping there, if not go to the link Rubio provided.

Best of luck,

MD

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE says you have to report it if there is any ID in your wallet. They may conveniently leave your wallet at another crime scene and you could be charged with something. Report it and get something in writing, and be sure to include the knife too, for the same reason.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Corrupted cops doing corrupted things.

I agree with all...report it. Even better if you can get a higher up connection to intervene on your behalf.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
What kind of a knife was it !? In some countries carrying knife is illegal - not sure here though, everyone has a gun here !

Did you understand what they wanted (Spanish/English !), may be they wanted to book you for carrying a knife and instead wanted some money - if you weren't forthcoming then they might have been ****ed off I guess and threatened you.

Generally they accuse you of doing something wrong, so what was that, knife, drugs, chicas etc...... !? It might be nothing, but as others said if they got your ID that is not good, you need to get that back, otherwise not worth following.

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
Can the long term users of this site help with information as to who should be contacted in the police department. Does anyone here have connection to whom people can be referred. Stories like this should be passed on to some police official and government official. A member or members on this site should be letting the government know how this behavior is affecting short and long term tourists as well as foreign residents.
There must be someone here with connections. if not, an effort should be made to find some. As much as brains are in short supply from many persons in RD including as it seems the police, someone in some position must have a head on their shoulders to address these types of problems.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Trust me, they know. You have to realize what the mentality of the gen pop is. To quote Ron White, "You can't fix stupid".

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Can the long term users of this site help with information as to who should be contacted in the police department. Does anyone here have connection to whom people can be referred. Stories like this should be passed on to some police official and government official. A member or members on this site should be letting the government know how this behavior is affecting short and long term tourists as well as foreign residents.
There must be someone here with connections. if not, an effort should be made to find some. As much as brains are in short supply from many persons in RD including as it seems the police, someone in some position must have a head on their shoulders to address these types of problems.

They were probably out on Captain's order collecting....

You can't fix that behavior, you just have to make sure you are protected against it yourself. That is the most one can do.

As far as sharing my connections, sorry but not with a total stranger that just posted something on the internet.

Feb 15, 2005
Mr. AE says you have to report it if there is any ID in your wallet. They may conveniently leave your wallet at another crime scene and you could be charged with something. Report it and get something in writing, and be sure to include the knife too, for the same reason.

In my opinion, this is the best advise so far. They have your wallet and knife and can do anything with it. Talk with your embassy FIRST and begin there. Going to the precinct first is not advisable as 70% will be corrupted and/or good friends with the cops in question. They can spend days looking for you in the area and you don't want to spend your days looking over your shoulder.

At least in the Embassy, they can file a report and back you up if something occurs.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
I was parked on the side of the road adjusting my shorts so that my wallet didn't fall out while I was driving. 2 Policia Nacional, both young boys, pulled up to me and began harassing me. I remained calm, showed my papers and didn't make a fuss as they went through my pasola looking for contraband. Then the shorter one began smacking me and threatening to cut my hair with a pocket knife I had in my pasola. They then ignored me as they harassed a few working girls as they passed. I asked for my knife back, and they again slapped me. I again stayed calm and resisted all my training to disarm both of them, and calmly asked for my property back so i can leave. they then took off with my wallet and my knife.

I'm not going to express my feelings here because I just want honest opinions. Is this worth taking action through the office of criminal intelligence (us embassy) and/or police station or should I just let it go? I live in puerto plata.

Can we please give helpful info only please>?

i commend you for your calmness! Because not everyone would have acted that way while he or she was being slapped, for no reasons, according to you! I wonder if they looked at you and thought you were some kind of POT SMOKING GUY? Just curious! They had slapped you and wanted to cut your hair? is that common there?

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. report to embassy/consulate.
2. consult with a lawyer before taking any further steps.
3. do not go to the police unless advised by a lawyer. if they did not want to throw you in the deep s**t using info obtained from the wallet they just may if you report it.
4. consider cutting your hair. freedom of expression and all that is nice but if it gets you into trouble get rid of it.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
I think it really does not make any sense to me! if what the OP says is true, then big problem! It is beyond my understanding that a cop would stop you, slap you, search and threaten to cut your hair and then leave with your wallets! What woudl be the reasons? By the way, the OP said that he was fixing his shorts? hum! Dont know! I dont live there!

Status
Not open for further replies.