License Plate Renewal 2014

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
PJT thinks beginning July the time to renew license plates will begin. This year is to include renewing the matricula and receiving new plates (2) front and rear.

The last time this was done the DGII needed the orginal matricula, a copy, and copies of the owners cedula or passport.

Is the process still the same and does anyone have an idea of what the fee schedule is and the final date for renewal?

Regards,

PJT

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
new plates

Any reason for the new plates besides the government looking for another source of cash?

PJT thinks beginning July the time to renew license plates will begin. This year is to include renewing the matricula and receiving new plates (2) front and rear.

The last time this was done the DGII needed the orginal matricula, a copy, and copies of the owners cedula or passport.

Is the process still the same and does anyone have an idea of what the fee schedule is and the final date for renewal?

Regards,

PJT

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
They want to introduce front plates. Can you imagine in a country like DR how logistically make sure you get a duplicate of your back plate? It's easier for them to change the plate and give two.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
front plate

Call me a cynic but I think the front plate is just an excuse for what I originally suspected, the government is in it for the cash. I hope Nuria Piera investigates any contractors involved also.

They want to introduce front plates. Can you imagine in a country like DR how logistically make sure you get a duplicate of your back plate? It's easier for them to change the plate and give two.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Normally these plates are offered at reasonable prices, they might hardly cover the cost of the plates and the logistic operation. The front plate introduction is to spy on us. Or give speed tickets?? I went to Santiago last week and saw a Amet with a laser or radar speed gun. First time in 8 years.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Normally these plates are offered at reasonable prices, they might hardly cover the cost of the plates and the logistic operation. The front plate introduction is to spy on us. Or give speed tickets?? I went to Santiago last week and saw a Amet with a laser or radar speed gun. First time in 8 years.

Probably the last time the speed gun was calibrated.

Two plates!! OMG..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

all i know is they cannot even duplicate my name on apiece of paper without splitting it in two, despite the evidence to the contrary as per my cedula that i present in front of them. maybe numbers come will be easier.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
all i know is they cannot even duplicate my name on apiece of paper without splitting it in two, despite the evidence to the contrary as per my cedula that i present in front of them. maybe numbers come will be easier.

Numbers should be easier yes, but how are they going to tell you where to pick up your front plate? In a normal country they'd send you a letter to your house which would say: "Your plate is at the post office at this address, pick it up between these dates and bring your car registration and ID. Cost 0"

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Just for example, in Panama you have to change your license plate every year. First you have to pay for the inspection of the car (takes whole day), then next day you go to pay license plate tax, then they tell you where you receive your license plate, depending on its first digit, they have more then 5 offices around the city, then you wait for your license plate because it's not ready, then you wait in lines again to receive it.... a lot of headache.

DR always was EASY country comparing to ANY Latin American country. Everything was easy here, immigration, documents, guns, taxes, license plates, etc... but when I read that now we have FRONT LICENSE PLATES here, I don't believe my eyes.... F@CK! Front license plate in DR? Are you kidding me? What's next?

But there is a chance that DR Government will f@ck up this idea like many other things they wanted to implement here with no actual result.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what's the issue with front plates some of you people have? in europe is pretty normal.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
When I moved here in the late '80s, cars had front plates, they were changed every year. It was during the first term of Leonel Fernandez '96 to 2000 when they changed it to one plate only.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
what's the issue with front plates some of you people have? in europe is pretty normal.
DR is not Europe. In third world countries with high corruption, cops usually look at front plate to decide to stop or not to stop the particular car at the random checkpoint of after a traffic violation depending on the license plate type. For example, the car turned left where the left turn is prohibited, the cop behind the corner sees the car coming to him but doesn't stop it because it has a government/police/diplomatic/special license plate, so he knows that this car is untouchable for him.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
In the US the reason for 2 license plates.. 19 States only require the rear plate, 31 others plus the Washington DC area require both front and back. Reason seems to be revenue. How Many States Require Front License Plates? - KickingTires
Walden said when researchers began the study they expected law enforcement and safety to be the primary benefits from having two license plates. Turned out, though, it is revenue — and not from the higher price of sticking a second slice of metal to the front of a vehicle.

Instead, the study found that having a second plate makes it easier to photograph those who run stop signs and red lights, don't pay tolls or drive out of unattended pay garages and parking lots without paying. Linking automatic license plate readers to databases also makes it easier to track down scofflaws electronically instead of having human eyeballs view every image to identify license plate numbers.

That adds up to millions of dollars in cost savings and millions more in additional revenue collected, Walden said.

For example, in Colorado (a two-plate state) on the E-470 tollway around the Denver area tolls are collected electronically. One-third of the revenue collected in a 12-month period — $23 million — came from the ability to capture information from front license plates.

The study also found that two plates make it easier for the U.S. Customs and Border Protection to screen vehicles at border crossings. In Arizona (a one-plate state), 10 to 15 percent of parking transactions at Phoenix's Sky Harbor Airport have to be processed manually because sun glare prevents accurate reading of the rear plate. In Pennsylvania (also one plate), 16 percent of rear plates couldn't be read electronically on toll roads.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Friends. PJT appreciates your input. However, looking for fee information and documents required to renew DOMINICAN matricula for 2014 and acquire new plates. This is all annoying by the lack of publicized information from DGII when supposedly the process will begin on July 1. Welcome to the DR.

Regards,

PJT

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Mauricio thinks the government knows nobody will do the process in July, August or even September.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What makes anyone think the Government will be ready for this process anytime soon?