Rent Increase

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Our lease is about to expire. We signed the contract last year which says, "10% increase" the following year if the contract is renewed. I though that was a bunch of sh!t but what can you do.

Now comes the time to renew or not. I've been going back and forth with the owner, (who has been a great landlord so far), that I do not want to pay a 10% increase. The rent is paid on time, in full, and we have taken care of this apartment better than any previous tenants, said by the owner herself.

She says instead of a 10% increase she'll do 7% but can't go lower. She cites the contract, which is legal since we signed it.

I don't like it one bit. Do I have any options other than threatening to move and getting our deposit back? I don't want to go that route because I feel it will stir up bad blood on both sides.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Yes, and the owner knows we were not happy about that part in the contract and wanted a new version drawn up.

I am looking for help in negotiating a resolution.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't worry about the rent increase, WORRY about the idea that you THINK you will ever see your deposit again!!!!!!
If you plan to leave, "Live Out" your deposit!!!!
Meaning, don't pay any rent until it's Used up!!!!!!
By "LAW" your landlord must deposit your deposit in the "Banco Agricola", or some gov. specified bank, and return, with interest, to you when you leave, barring any damages.
Ask to see the deposit slip?????????
There won't be any!!!!!
Because there is NONE!!!!!
BEWARE!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have never had a problem getting a rental deposit back, you just need to know how to play the rules, even if it means living out the deposit.

Call the owners bluff and start talking about moving, that's what I did on my last rental and they waved the rental increase, also got the new contract written as a month to month. Just be prepared to move if it comes down to it :)

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Don't worry about the rent increase, WORRY about the idea that you THINK you will ever see your deposit again!!!!!!
If you plan to leave, "Live Out" your deposit!!!!
Meaning, don't pay any rent until it's Used up!!!!!!
By "LAW" your landlord must deposit your deposit in the "Banco Agricola", or some gov. specified bank, and return, with interest, to you when you leave, barring any damages.
Ask to see the deposit slip?????????
There won't be any!!!!!
Because there is NONE!!!!!
BEWARE!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Very few Landlords in DR tie up the deposit in the 'Banco Agricola' because it is a pain in the arse to deposit and withdrawal. Most the time only law firms put the money in there because of their legal obligations to do so.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I do not agree with the advices given here. Possible because I on the landlord site because I am landlord for about 50 renters too.
If two parties make a contract both have to follow the contract. The OP can move out if he don't won't to pay the 10% agreed.

Nobody should signed a contract he don't agree with. Not in the DR too.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I do not agree with the advices given here. Possible because I on the landlord site because I am landlord for about 50 renters too.
If two parties make a contract both have to follow the contract. The OP can move out if he don't won't to pay the 10% agreed.

Nobody should signed a contract he don't agree with. Not in the DR too.

Conversely, how long will it take you to find a reliable renter that will pay the rent each and every month? Being stubborn about a 10% increase in the rent could cost you large in the intermediate to longer-term. As you know, things are not easy in DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Many DR landlords would prefer to have a rental unit stay empty forEVER, than negotiate a new agreement!
Just like they never want to consider a lower rent on an apartment that has been empty for 8 months!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Conversely, how long will it take you to find a reliable renter that will pay the rent each and every month? Being stubborn about a 10% increase in the rent could cost you large in the intermediate to longer-term. As you know, things are not easy in DR.

i agree with you regarding the principle. if the OP did not like the terms of the contract, he should not have signed it.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
I am very often in that position. To decide let him go or keep him. If it is a good renter I make a new agreement with him, if I won't him to leave, I follow the contract.
Thats the only way in DR ( and a lot of other countries) to get a bad one out

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Many DR landlords would prefer to have a rental unit stay empty forEVER, than negotiate a new agreement!
Just like they never want to consider a lower rent on an apartment that has been empty for 8 months!

Everybody who run a business have to decide his policy. If I follow the advice never to rise and lower the prices to fill up, nobody finally will pay what I need to run my business.

Feb 7, 2007

Not quite true... I got a place that was renting for 14k unoccupied for 6 month with rent being decreased down to 12, 10 and finally 9, paying that for some years now.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Absolutely.

We all know if a Dominican gives his/her word on something, it will be honored. You should not even need a written contract with a Dominican. They're word is good enough.

You should never "live out" the deposit period. Immediately on vacating the property the Dominican will give you back your deposit in full, no questions asked.

In the op's case, ask the landlord if you pay them the additional 10% increase each month, will they reimburse you when you decide to leave. They will say yes. Of course, they will also reimburse you at the proper time, probably with a bit of interest thrown in.

Consider yourself lucky you are dealing with a Dominican. They're honesty knows no bounds. Their good word and integrity is legendary.

Dominicans are wonderful.

You for real?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Forearmed is forewarned. You knew from the time you signed the contract that a 10% increase was coming, so pay up if you plan to stay. Now since you aren't happy with that negotiate your new contract to what you are willing to pay or not. We have similar contracts with our tenants but don't have any built in increases, but have renewal upon our decision. We currently have one tenant that we used a lawyer for and unfortunately are stuck with her for a year. My wife told the lawyer no children and six month lease but the lawyer drew up the contract and signed it with her (ONE YEAR AND SHE HAS THREE CHILDREN) So, we are stuck with her for a year.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Hi Cris Colon, Your advice on living the deposit is wrong, what the renter can do is try to negotiate the contract with the owner and make the landlord understand that if he moves out and the apartment is vacant for 2 months he or she will be losing a lot more money than keeping it at the same rate, or maybe reduce it to 5% which is what the Dominican rental laws stays.

Just tell the landlord that you have been a good tenant that has taken good care of his or her property that has always pay on time and that is these days it hard to find someone that meets your criteria in that matter. You can also tell the landlord that he might find somebody that wants to pay a little more than what you are payment but that at the end of their contract the place will be destroy and the deposit will not be enough to cover the expenses that they had to make to repaired the place again.

Feb 7, 2007
Hi Cris Colon, Your advice on living the deposit is wrong,

It is not wrong advise at all, and it is probably the best approach in 99% of rental situations in the DR.
Because the landlord will 99% of the cases find "things" and your deposit will go down the drain. So it is better to live it off, IF you decide to move out.