Visa Overstay Questions

FloridaMike

May 6, 2012
Good Afternoon to everyone,

I just returned June 9th from this years visit and I am already starting plans for my return in 2016. On my next visit I plan to stay for 6 weeks. I do know there is a fine for the overstay which is not an issue at all. My question is whether to expect any problems from authorities in POP and if I should arrive at the airport earlier than usual to handle this. I am not worried about having my
bags or my person searched if that turns out to be needed - just if I need to arrive earlier than usual. This year and last year -
when I turned 50 - I stayed for 30 days and I have ALWAYS had a wonderful time in the DR. I have never had a single issue with
police, airport authorities, or any of the numerous locals I have met over the years. Looking forward to any input and hope
everyone has a wonderful day.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
my last stay was 8 months (Nov. through June). The "fine" for 5-9 months is $RD 1000. Knowing that you will need to pay this - once you enter Immigration at the airport just automatically go to the "estad?a prolongada" Desk - show your passport - pay the fine and off you go to the regular immigration desk - takes about 5 extra minutes in Santo Domingo. I have been doing this procedure for years - not an issue on either side (me and D.R. officialdom).

Last edited:

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I come and go every six weeks out of POP. After you clear security, they ask you how long you have been here. You tell them six weeks, and go to the desk they point you to. The officer will ask for RD$1000, you tell him "no, the fee is RD$800", and give the man RD$800. He stamps your passport and you are on your way.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Until further notice, there are no changes made to over-stay fee schedules.

Until the time the notice is put up, you can come and stay then pay for the extended period.

Once the change is made official, the option will be off the table. Save for a single event two years apart from each occasion.

BUT: It will change!

It's a matter of having the system 100% functional as planned.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I would say ask again in 2016. The rules change every couple of months. Who knows how things will be handled 2 years from now?

dolcevita

Sep 24, 2008
Not sure I understand what "single event two years apart from each occasion" is about. Pichardo, would you please explain?
Thanks

Until the time the notice is put up, you can come and stay then pay for the extended period.

Once the change is made official, the option will be off the table. Save for a single event two years apart from each occasion.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013

So what is the future plan for those of us who continually overstay the 30 days and just pay the fine? How will they handle the folks who show up at immigration at the airport after say a 90 day stay? Looks like i might have to take the $25,000 a year I put into the local RD economy to another country. Why dont they use some common business sense and just jack up the price from 800 to say 5,000 pesos and make money off us illegal aliens..I wouldnt mind paying that for the privilege of coming and going when i want.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Guess non resident foreigners should rethink opening businesses in the DR, due this new complication......
....unless it is informal and you can pack up and leave really quickly.
But seriously, nobody should open a business in any country being an illegal alien.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Is there any real stats on how many foreigners overstay and pay a fine every year !? (Be nice to know how long they overstay too) - I guess that gives an indication of how to go about dealing with this issue....

But from what I have seen certain people just hanging here years after years living on very little and don't even have the money to buy a ticket to go back - they probably overstayed for years. I don't think they contribute much to the DR economy.

So perhaps if they make a rule for 6 months or 1 year limit that would get rid of that type (if that's what they want) and then those that can come and go every year probably also have enough money to spend here to warrant letting them stay over a month.

To be fair no other country let you stay so long with pitiful fine on exit, so you can't blame the government if they want to do something about it - though I think all of this might be mainly targeted at their certain neighbouring visitors....

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Is there any real stats on how many foreigners overstay and pay a fine every year !? (Be nice to know how long they overstay too) - I guess that gives an indication of how to go about dealing with this issue....

But from what I have seen certain people just hanging here years after years living on very little and don't even have the money to buy a ticket to go back - they probably overstayed for years. I don't think they contribute much to the DR economy.

So perhaps if they make a rule for 6 months or 1 year limit that would get rid of that type (if that's what they want) and then those that can come and go every year probably also have enough money to spend here to warrant letting them stay over a month.

To be fair no other country let you stay so long with pitiful fine on exit, so you can't blame the government if they want to do something about it - though I think all of this might be mainly targeted at their certain neighbouring visitors....

Yes... We have the figures and that's why there's little effort to pass anything to address it now. It will be addressed but not now. Well after the present general amnesty is done and over with...

It's a really insignificant figure compared to the bulk of regular visitors...

Very, very small... It's in the decimal fractions...