Heading to La Vega, was asked to get some CDs/Music.

E

el_indio

I don't know anything about music there. All I know is the girl I hang out with there likes Bachata/Merengue and whatever else.

I told her I'll bring music for her on a USB stick, but she is as dumb as I am when it comes to naming songs. I can barely speak Spanish so it's hard as hell for me.

Is there anywhere with like a Top 40 list of music? Or can you guys list some must-have songs for a playlist?

She loves the most popular stuff on the radio there, but I'll be damned if I know it.
She also loves Elvis Martinez...lol

So far, off my head, I can think of Hector Torito something, Elvis Martinez, La Nueva Escuela, El Mayor (is this the dude with the Samurai shoes all the time?) and stuff like that.

What's popular there now? Seriously, it would win me some brownie points there...lol
I've Googled my ass off and nothing.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
hit youtube! my girl loves Miran Hernandez https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM-EOosij9Y however, pop in what types of music your friend likes, see what comes up as playlists, those will be the most popular and look at how many hits each artist has, huge clue on how popular it is..pop in bachata top 100 songs, see what comes up etc..

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Wait around 10 or eleven PM, stick your phone out the window, and hit the "record" botton

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
The colmado near me plays, "no me muero en mi cama" by Luis Vargas. It must be amazing because they play it every 15 minutes.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Wow, I edited my post, had about 12-15 songs that are current and some classics, clicked post and received a message

"The administrator has specified changes can only be made before 10 minutes have lapsed on the original post."

Lost everything I typed, that sucks. ADMIN YOU NEED TO FIX THAT.

At least change it so I don't lose what I had typed.

E

el_indio

Wow, I edited my post, had about 12-15 songs that are current and some classics, clicked post and received a message

"The administrator has specified changes can only be made before 10 minutes have lapsed on the original post."

Lost everything I typed, that sucks. ADMIN YOU NEED TO FIX THAT.

At least change it so I don't lose what I had typed.

Ahhhh - that sucks. It's exactly what I wanted. Yeah, I've been browsing YouTube, but I can never find the songs she likes. I go there about once every two months and know the songs if I hear them, but can never find them on YouTube.

Thanks everyone. Keep it coming if you can!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If it ain't BROKE, don't FIX it!!!!
The time limit keeps posters from going back to "Edit" the content of their posts to "Suit" future conditions.
10 minutes is long enough!
I do know what you mean, I've done it myself TOO MANY times!!!!
ALWAYS after I've written the "BEST RESPOSE EVER WRITTEN"!!!!
The ONLY thing worse is writting a long response to a thread, and THEN fining out it's "CLOSED"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
There IS MUSIC here already, EVERYWHERE!!!!!!
L-O-U-D MUSIC!!!!!!!
I'd be more worried about a "Friend" who is asking you to bring "STUFF"!!!!!!!!

E

el_indio

If it ain't BROKE, don't FIX it!!!!
The time limit keeps posters from going back to "Edit" the content of their posts to "Suit" future conditions.
10 minutes is long enough!
I do know what you mean, I've done it myself TOO MANY times!!!!
ALWAYS after I've written the "BEST RESPOSE EVER WRITTEN"!!!!
The ONLY thing worse is writting a long response to a thread, and THEN fining out it's "CLOSED"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
There IS MUSIC here already, EVERYWHERE!!!!!!
L-O-U-D MUSIC!!!!!!!
I'd be more worried about a "Friend" who is asking you to bring "STUFF"!!!!!!!!

She's in the campo with no Internet and an old stereo with an Aux and CD player...and honestly doesn't have enough to go out and buy music. Deep in the campo lol. But she is family of my best friend and I said I'll do them a favor since they've been providing us free housing, food and company. :)

E

el_indio

Thanks! I will look them up and see what I can find today. Those are perfect starts for me to find stuff on YouTube.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
What happens in the campo is that the radio stations play about six songs over and over again until everyone knows the lyrics... so these are the "hits" .. they are really local so they really may not be on You Tube. If the radio station is nearby, just stop in and ask for their play list. Or stop in one of the resort towns, to where the guys are selling copy discs on the street and ask them for the most recent ones. You may be more likely to find the discs in La Vega or close to her than you may be will find them on You Tube.

Aug 6, 2006
No current list of songs popular in the DR is complete without Marc Antony's Vivir mi vida.

http://tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUv321zEGko

This February, it was impossible to NOT hear it at least twice per hour anywhere in Barahona: the Malecon, any Discoteca, any cafeteria, or any colmado with a stereo.

It is a good song, I will admit. It comes close to being a true earworm.

I have never heard a Spanish translation for "earworm" (the song that gets in your head and cannot be driven out).