It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Noon here on the island! So, I've been here long enough and consumed my fair share of cuba libres and Bohemia. When I get home from work this time, I am going to build myself a bar down by the pool. It is time! I also think it is time for me to have a proper inventory and move beyond the beer and rum & cokes.

First question! Anyplace in Sosua I can get bamboo and lumber that will hold up to weather. I'd also like to make a thatched roof, where can I get the stuff for that locally?

Next, what is in your bar inventory! What should I get to be well stocked and be able to make a decent variety?

Got any good local or foreign tropical drink recipes?

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I'll be there anytime to test your drinks :) I find Santiago or SD the best places to buy lumber but maybe I don't know the right places in the NC?!

Yea, and my maintence guy knows a place in Santigo for bamboo, so that is where we will probably end up going. Any idea what kinds of wood are regularly available here, and if any stand up better to outdoors over others?

I'll have a party when it's all up and running!

I really have no clue about that kind of thing, I just know i have searched many places in the NC for some lumber and it is slim pickings. We have searched Santiago too for certain things and it is still difficult. Going to look in SD tomorrow for some wood we need.

I hope to come to your party lol!!! Sounds fun :)

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Anyone seen Blue Chair Bay rum anywhere? I brought some with when I moved here, I want more!
bottles.png

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I really have no clue about that kind of thing, I just know i have searched many places in the NC for some lumber and it is slim pickings. We have searched Santiago too for certain things and it is still difficult. Going to look in SD tomorrow for some wood we need.

Ah yes.....The illusive wood.
;)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I'd get myself a frozen drink machine or at least a good blender. It's weird that you can't get a frozen margarita anywhere, much less a pi?a colada. Bed Bath and Beyond has a Margaritaville machine that lists for $200, but I've seen them on sale for something like $75 at the end of the summer.

Margaritaville? Bahamas? Frozen Concoction? Maker - BedBathandBeyond.com

I absolutely want a frozen drink machine. It really is surprising, your options are beer or a bottle of rum and pepsi.

Aug 6, 2006
I also prefer Bohemia to Presidente Light.

I was enjoying a Bohemia in Barahona and one of the girls looked at it and told me "te enga?aron".

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
So, I want to make my bar out of bamboo. What is the best way to cut it lenghtwise? A bandsaw?

Tim Smith

Apr 28, 2014
drSix,
I was thinking about doing a beer type bar as they really go for the cerveza here. Reading all the banter here has really taken the drive I had for the idea. I have over 100 recipes for making some really great drinks based from beer. Here is a link you might like and hope this builds up your menu. I have more ideas if you want that is really affordable to do. PM me if you like.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinchack/drinks-that-prove-mixing-beer-cocktails-is-a-great-idea

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
At work, can't watch videos! Can I get the readers digest version? I can watch it next week when I am back.

"It's Five O' Clock Somewhere"

The sun is hot and that old clock is movin' slow,
An' so am I.
Work day passes like molasses in wintertime,
But it's July.
I'm gettin' paid by the hour, an' older by the minute.
My boss just pushed me over the limit.
I'd like to call him somethin',
I think I'll just call it a day.

Pour me somethin' tall an' strong,
Make it a "Hurricane" before I go insane.
It's only half-past twelve but I don't care.
It's five o'clock somewhere.

Oh, this lunch break is gonna take all afternoon,
An' half the night.
Tomorrow mornin', I know there'll be hell to pay,
Hey, but that's all right.
I ain't had a day off now in over a year.
Our Jamaican vacation's gonna start right here.
Hit the 'phones for me,
You can tell 'em I just sailed away.

An' pour me somethin' tall an' strong,

I could pay off my tab, pour myself in a cab,
An' be back to work before two.
At a moment like this, I can't help but wonder,
What would Jimmy Buffet do?

Funny you should ask that because I'd say:

He don't care.
I don't care.

What time zone am on? What country am I in?
It doesn't matter, it's five o'clock somewhere.
It's always on five in Margaritaville, come to think of it.
Yeah, I heard that.
You been there haven't you.
Yessir.
I seen your boat there.
I've been to Margaritaville a few times.
All right, that's good.
Stumbled all the way back.
OK. Just wanna make sure you can keep it between the navigational beacons.
Between the buoys, I tell you.
All right. Well, it's five o'clock. Let's go somewhere.
I'm ready, crank it up.
Let's get out of here.
I'm gone.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I also prefer Bohemia to Presidente Light.

I was enjoying a Bohemia in Barahona and one of the girls looked at it and told me "te enga?aron".

Hahahaa. I don't like Presidente either. Cheap, tasteless beer. It isn't even as strong as Bohemia and it's more expensive!