bread flour

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Yesterday was a great day for my bread making in the DR. I found Gold Medal bread flour at LA sierena. I grabbed 10 lbs. Maybe I will have more success with that than the two DR brands I tried and tried ....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gold medal is good, pilsbury is good as well. we buy tons of that. check la sirena healthy food section. here in POP they have great selection of flours from bob's red mill.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
gold medal is good, pilsbury is good as well. we buy tons of that. check la sirena healthy food section. here in POP they have great selection of flours from bob's red mill.

is there any brand of Dominican flour that is even half decent?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Wood Fired Brick Oven

Good, wholesome and healthy bread has rye in it (mine has 70% rye and 30% wheat) and is made with sour dough.

Durchgeschnittenes_Brot_3-1.jpg

I use rye flour Type 997, I get it in 50 lbs. bags... :bunny:

donP

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Donp,

I have had a very hard time getting a rise from rye and a little difficultlty with whole wheat unless the quantity is secondary to regular flour. What is your method?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
But I do not know that type of flour...

donP, the rye flour they have is from bob's red mill. you can google the details. if you want to try it i can buy you a bag and deliver it next time i go with miesposo to las terrenas (we are there maybe once every two months).

donP

Dec 14, 2008
donP, the rye flour they have is from bob's red mill. you can google the details.

Done:
http://www.bobsredmill.com/flours-meals/index2.html

I found 2 rye flours.
Do they have the light or the dark type in POP or even both?

if you want to try it i can buy you a bag and deliver it next time i go with miesposo to las terrenas (we are there maybe once every two months).

Thank you, that's very kind.
Our flour bags are on the way already...

But, of course, you can drop by for a visit at the finca on your way. :bunny:

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they have dark rye flour. but every time i go to la sirena the choice is bigger. they have dozens of bob's red mill products now. some i do not know how to use, even.

they also have barley flour from spanish company eco-salim:
Int-salim

i have discovered that this flour is excellent as an addition to others. one should not use more that 30% because it is low in gluten so rise is considerably weaker. i mix it with rye and wholewheat (high in gluten) for better results. this flour makes bread denser and adds somewhat nutty taste.

i will get you one as well. we will do compras today or tomorrow so i will buy it and save it in the fridge for you.