airlines/shipping

C

Capt. Rob

Well folks my friend just returned from the u.S. His father bought him a generator for Christmas,but the airlines would not accept it for shipment. They said NO PACKAGES of any sort. If it does not fit into your luggage you can't send it. So he checked sending it various other ways. No one would accept it without him being an authorized business listed with them. To last a business it required an on site inspection by a govt. offical. I guess I can't bring coolers full of U.S. steaks anymore WHAT A BUMMER!!!

H

hillbilly

Kind of Strange....I would have thought

that the airlines would die for extra cargo, especially accompanied cargo. However after 9-11, I can understand the new regs, as i am sure you can...Too easy for a suicide bomber to fill the gas tank with c-4 and do it all over again...Oh well, this is just something we will have to learn to live with. And I'm trying to bring down a new engine for my Jimmy! Oughtta be fun!
HB

L

Lyse

Re: Kind of Strange....I would have thought

I brought a generator in the D.R. after huracan Georges. I had to deal with a cargo company and pay an extra $$ since it was considered as a dangerous thing. They inspected it to make sure it was empty from gasoline or oil... It was not posible to check it at the Air Transat counter with my suitcase even paying the over weight. We, the generator and I, traveled on the same charter flight and yes they have cargo section even on charter flight. Of course this was before September 11.

C

Capt. Rob

Not even Fed-Ex or U.P.S. would take the shipment. The only solution I can think of is find a freight forwarder who can Marry your shipment with other cargo. This is done for example when a company wants to ship one pallet of product to a certain country. It is to small to send in one container thus they load it on a container with other smaller shiptments going to the same destation. But, this could take some calling around. I know in Tampa you just look under freight forwarders in the phone book.

H

hillbilly

Freight Consolidators? There are a bunch

in 'santo Domingo...And in Tampa I am sure there are a bunch too.

HB

E

Ed and Mame

SUGGESTION...

I will e-mail you a suggestion (e-mail because I will have to mention a name and e-mail address and I wouldn't want to do that "publicly" via a messagboard - the person is a friend, you see). -Mame-

E

Ed and Mame

ATTENTION CAPT. ROB

I e-mailed you with suggestion, but it wouldn't go through, via e-mail you posted on messageboard. -Mame-

P

pascal

Captain Rob ,

never mind , there's a good butcher in Montecristi.:)
I will arrive on DEc 8 , so hope we'll bump into one another
see you soon
Pascal

C

Capt. Rob

Everyone knows me just ask where the gringo in the big white truck lives. _88suburan

D

Dave

Rob.....consolidation......

Hi Rob,

I am back up in Cleveland. If you cant solve the generator problem, let me know. We bring down containers and/or break bulk monthly (out of Cleveland and Miami)and are a "known" shipper on AA and other freight groups so we dont have problems with our shipping of any non dangerous goods items (even airfreight as long as it is new and never had oil or gas in the tank). I can't let my new "fishing captain" get shut down......

Take care, Dave

J

Jan

no extra luggage during christmas time and RD says meat is no longer permited...anthrax scare i guess...