Temporary entry for European registered vehicle, how?

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
My friend, frequent traveler, wants to explore the whole island on his own car. He did it before in Colombia and other countries.

The idea is to send his car in container to DR, drive it here and then after 3 months (more or less) ship it out to another country (where he decides to go next).

So the question is, what are the rules to bring here a car with foreign license plates for 3 months of use, without importing it, just the temporary entry. The car is about 10 years old, it's an offroad SUV prepared for traveling. I know it's easy with Puerto Rico's registered cars, what about European?

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
I just want to add, I asked people who work with customs, they said it's possible but they were not sure about exact procedure and documents needed.

Maybe somebody in DR1 has that experience?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Good luck. You might want to contact an attorney to get those answers. It may be easier to ship it into Puerto Rico and take the ferry over to SD and drive onto Dominican soil. Buenos Suarte'

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's the DR!!!!!
There is NO WAY to predict what his experience will be when he goes to pick up his vehicle!!!!!!
EXCEPT to say it will NOT BE a Good One!!!!!!!
It will depend on the Who,What,When.Where, Why, and How, on the day it arrives!
AND, it will No Doubt cost him a lot more money to retrieve it than a rental car in the long run.
I DO HOPE he does it, it will provide us with lots of INTERESTING "DR Mis Adventure" postings!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
The idea of his travels is to travel by his own car. It's not about is it cheaper or not to rent a car. He did it in Asia, Africa, South America.... he usually ships the car in a container, then he goes to the country, there is a paperwork for temporary entry (some kind of international insurance, etc) and that's it.

Shipping the car to Puerto Rico may not solve the problem, because the license plates and car registration are not Puerto Rican, so there will be the same questions upon entry to DR or at the point of boarding the ferry. And he has no plans to travel in Puerto Rico, he wants to do it in DR and Haiti. So it's better to ship the car to DR directly.