For those that live here and have some bank.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
For those that live here and have some bank. Not that I do, or have, but I've been curious about the safety of BPD, it seems like a stable bank, and cant see where it has any financial issues... What are your thoughts on keeping 200k to 300k in USD there?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I wouldn't keep that much in a bank in the USA, where FDIC wouldn't cover it. Never mind in a country without that protection

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
For those that live here and have some bank. Not that I do, or have, but I've been curious about the safety of BPD, it seems like a stable bank, and cant see where it has any financial issues... What are your thoughts on keeping 200k to 300k in USD there?

They have been around for a very long time, never heard of them stealing money or doing funny stuff with client accounts. Can't say that for some banks outside of the DR.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Wasn't Baninter the second largest Dominican bank?

But even in the baninter case the government bailed everybody out.

But I wouldn't keep that amount of money in a DR bank. Why would you, I'm keeping money here that I think I will need to spend here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For that kind of money I would only use BanReservas. Not that their service is anything to rave about, but they are fully backed by the DR Government. As they are the DR Government. So unless the Country collapses your money is safe.

But here anything can happen.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I don't put money in a bank unless I intend to spend it in a short time. For longer term I put it in the stock market and diversified. From that I get growth of 10 to 20 percent per year over the long term and I have no expectations of getting rich quickly. I use banks to store money safely and have no expectations of growth.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
tHERE HAVE BEEN TIMES IN THE PAST WHEN us dOLLARS ARE NOT AVAILABLE AT dOMINICAN BANKS,
There may be again.
"AE" you can have a million dollars in USA bank accounts insured by "FDIC".
You just have to divide it up in different accounts below the max amount, which is $250,000 last time I checked.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
tHERE HAVE BEEN TIMES IN THE PAST WHEN us dOLLARS ARE NOT AVAILABLE AT dOMINICAN BANKS,
There may be again.
"AE" you can have a million dollars in USA bank accounts insured by "FDIC".
You just have to divide it up in different accounts below the max amount, which is $250,000 last time I checked.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Not anymore, now it's back to $100,000 per person. There are ways around it [In Trust For accounts, etc.], but easier just to spread it around to several banks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would use another island -- many available..... and have them send you the money as needed.

RBC will talk to you about offshore accounts.... others too , I suppose.
Scotia has a presence in a few islands

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If I had 300,000 US dollars, neither the MONEY, or I, would be in the DR!!!!!!
UNLESS, I wanted to hide one, or BOTH from the US Government, or x wives!
OR BOTH!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

The only reason to do that would be to live off the interest. Then you might as well convert it to pesos and get the highest interest for long term CDs. Money that just sits in a savings account in dollars in the USA may be Insured but it is losing value against inflation. Only money in the stock market, or real estate, or enterprise, is likely to make money and that is all at risk.

So in comparison to that, CDs backed by the governemt here are probably a sounder bet.

One would live very well here on the interest off of 300k US converted to pesos at the current rate.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Historia

El viernes 24 de octubre de 1941, a las 11:30 de la ma?ana, los miembros del Congreso Nacional se reunieron en la C?mara de Diputados para escuchar el mensaje del entonces Jefe del Poder Ejecutivo, Rafael Leonidas Trujillo, al momento de depositar el anteproyecto de ley destinado a la creaci?n de lo que ser?a el Banco de Reservas de la Rep?blica Dominicana.

I do not think that deposits are insured in any way. But folks do sorta think that BanReservas will fall when the government collapses.. I think it is where all the government employees are paid? At least it seems that way. I first had my only accounts there because it was the easiest account to open and the only bank available in the border towns. But here in the Capital you really cannot get into one around the 1st or the 15th.