Best time to renew your Cedula - 4PM

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This was a great tip from AZB.

Go to the JCE office in Santo Domingo at around 4PM, the place is empty and parking is not an issue.
I was in and out in under 30 mins.

I didn't need any photocopies of anything, just bring the following:

- Cedula
- Residency card
- Passport

Remember, you don't go to the main JCE building on the corner of the roundabout, but the much smaller one just past Calle F on Luperon as you drive towards the Malecon (Ocean).

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006

Go to the JCE office in Santo Domingo at around 4PM, the place is empty and parking is not an issue.

- Cedula
- Residency card
- Passport

Remember, you don't go to the main JCE building on the corner of the roundabout, but the much smaller one just past Calle F on Luperon as you drive towards the Malecon (Ocean).

Thanks for the update. Is this the correct address?
Immigration Dept., Building Jhonson General Gregorio Luperon Ave, National City, Sto. Dgo.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Thanks everyone, all good info. We got there at 3pm and new biometric cards in hand by 4pm. The best part is a government receipt that says gratis service, imagine something official for free!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

- Cedula
- Residency card
- Passport

I posted earlier that I have done both.... late day and early day..... both are good

Mid-day stinks

9-9:30am is empty , as is the end of the day........suit yourself

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not for me. I wanted to leave Santo Domingo as early as possible so I went just after I renewed my residency which took from 8 AM to 11 AM and then I left for the JCE and spent about 90 minutes there and was on the bus back to the north coast and home by about 6 PM. Both places were very crowded, but my goal of getting my residency (second visit after doing the medical exam previously) and cedula the same day and returning home was easily accomplished.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I found most people were doing just what you did , Windy....
Residency in the morning and straight to the cedula ....

hence the number of people from 11 or so onward until mid-afternoon.

It can be done in 1/2 hr or so with no lineup

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I found most people were doing just what you did , Windy....
Residency in the morning and straight to the cedula ....

hence the number of people from 11 or so onward until mid-afternoon.

It can be done in 1/2 hr or so with no lineup

Indeed. I saw many of the same people at both locations. My priority is always to spend as little time in Santo Domingo as is possible. Hence the dash from Migracion to the JCE and then the bus.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i did mine few weeks ago, entered at 10 am or so. out in less than an hour.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Can I Get New Cedula Before Renewing Residency

I must renew my residency before going to the US for a visit October 1. The expiration date is October 12.

Can I go to Santo Domingo by Metro one day and renew my cedula when I get there, then go to Inmigracion the next morning to renew my residency? (I've been a resident for more than 25 years.)

One night is the maximum I'd like to spend in SD.

(The expiration date of my cedula is November 2016, but I know that doesn't mean much anymore.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
worth a try.... valid residency and passport....

go in the late afternoon and try the cedula...
if you fail.... residency and cedula the next day

or

residency late one day and cedula early the next ---------------- and you're gone

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I must renew my residency before going to the US for a visit October 1. The expiration date is October 12.

Can I go to Santo Domingo by Metro one day and renew my cedula when I get there, then go to Inmigracion the next morning to renew my residency? (I've been a resident for more than 25 years.)

One night is the maximum I'd like to spend in SD.

(The expiration date of my cedula is November 2016, but I know that doesn't mean much anymore.

You should go to renew your residency first and then your cedula. Your cedula is now tied to your residency expiration date, so you cannot do the cedula first. You can probably get your residency in the morning and head to the JCE and get your cedula before lunch time and head back home and be in Sosua before 6 PM. That is what I did. Be at Migracion at 7:30 AM.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
worth a try.... valid residency and passport....

go in the late afternoon and try the cedula...
if you fail.... residency and cedula the next day

or

residency late one day and cedula early the next ---------------- and you're gone

Won't work. Need to re-new residency first.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
windy, he has a valid residency.... just a short term one

oh --- right------

they need to link the expiry dates
Residency first, then cedula

and the expiries will coincide.....

oopsy..... thx Windy

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Since when must the dates match ?

Helped a friend to renew his cedula last year, his residency good till 2020 and got his cedula until 2023.

I got my first Dominican cedula today in Jarabacoa and is good till 2024 while my Dominican Passport is only good for 6 years, or the matching date does't matter for dominicans?

windy, he has a valid residency.... just a short term one

oh --- right------

they need to link the expiry dates
Residency first, then cedula

and the expiries will coincide.....

oopsy..... thx Windy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The matching date does not matter for Dominicans. Your Dominican passport and cedula are not tied to the same date.

Think of it this way. How many Dominicans even have a passport?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was saying that the Residency and the Cedula are matched these days for foreigners .... at least any that I know.

The passport won't be linked to that.... you can have a passport w/o residency... a birth right.
I carry a Cdn passport but have no residency status in Canada.

Now your friend w/ the mismatching dates.... those are looong dates..
6yr and 9yr out there..
I can't say what happened there

Mine are 4yr terms.
Is it after 10 yrs residency you can get a 10 yr renewal, or is it 8yr renewal....??
dunno

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I was saying that the Residency and the Cedula are matched these days for foreigners .... at least any that I know.

The passport won't be linked to that.... you can have a passport w/o residency... a birth right.
I carry a Cdn passport but have no residency status in Canada.

Now your friend w/ the mismatching dates.... those are looong dates..
6yr and 9yr out there..
I can't say what happened there

Mine are 4yr terms.
Is it after 10 yrs residency you can get a 10 yr renewal, or is it 8yr renewal....??
dunno

don't think they have the long renewal for expats any more, that was a very small window. have had my residency since 95 and I only got 4 years