Country-wide water emergency?

Meems

May 1, 2013
I read some months ago about water shortages and restrictions in the South/Capital area, but this week, it seems that some kind of restrictions are in now effect in Sosua and elsewhere.

I manage a small guesthouse, and for the past week, the availability of water to refill the cistern has been sporadic. Normally, it's a steady stream that continues till the float reaches the full mark. For the past week or so, no water comes in from the street, regardless of apagons.

We have been trying to determine if there is a schedule for the hours water will be available and hours it will not. So very First World of me, I know.

Does anybody here have any information on this situation? Many thanks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is caused by a lack of rain.

Sorry for the my apparently wise-guy response, but there has been very little rainfall in recent months causing this situation. Quite a simple cause and effect situation.

May 29, 2006
You've got leaks in the main water lines whether people are using it or not. I worked at a place where had a 40,000 gallon cistern go dry in the summer from normal use and a 2 gallon per minute leak that was *somewhere* along a 500ft water main. They're prob leaking at least as much as people are using down there in the households. Even a running toilet is about a gallon per minute, and it adds up to almost 1500 gallons a day.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Dominicans also waste water. They think nothing of leaving a tap running for an hour or two while they do something else.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
leaks in the streets, that are never fixed at least here in the capital.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
some areas in Cabarete we are experiencing regular cut off's.
Mostly in the evening right when I like to take my shower...
Will install an extra cistern and a bomba ladrona...

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
It is caused by a lack of rain.

Sorry for the my apparently wise-guy response, but there has been very little rainfall in recent months causing this situation. Quite a simple cause and effect situation.

Does the El Ni?o weather system have anything to do with the lack of rain?

drescape24

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Does the El Ni?o weather system have anything to do with the lack of rain?

it's summer and hurricane season. storms and the lack of the thereof surely influence the state of water supply but this whole year was a bit on a dry and hot side. there is a water shortage all over DR, most noticeably in SD.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
it's summer and hurricane season. storms and the lack of the thereof surely influence the state of water supply but this whole year was a bit on a dry and hot side. there is a water shortage all over DR, most noticeably in SD.

Yes I understand that. What I was asking , does anyone have any experience on how El Ni?o system in the Pacific Ocean effects the weather pattern in the D.R. besides a calm hurricane season?
I noticed on my last two trips, in the afternoons when the winds pick up, before it would get cloudy, now it seems the winds clear the sky. Is that something El Ni?o would do.?

drescape24

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
We've got almost 300 gallon capacity of tinacos on the roof and or water costs 400 pesos to fill them up each time. There is not enuff pressure to be able to notice when we are running low, so there are days when we are without as we wait for the rtuck. But that is our local water situation.
Der Fish

Hook in a 1/4" tubing with a pressure guage on the end down below where you can read the guage. 1PSI per ft. of height. This would give you a way to guage how much water you have in the tank.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
In short, for Sos?a and Cabarete, it’s an undersized aqueduct and too many homes to supply. The aqueduct for Cabarete and Sos?a was installed 25 or 26 years ago, drawing water from the Rio Yassica in the hills behind Islabon. It’s my understanding that it runs full 24/7 in Islabon but doesn’t have the capacity to supply all the households further down line.
Originally it ended near the Sos?a Texaco. 20 years ago it was extended to the pumping station in Los Charamicos, and 10 or 12 years ago the next extension took it to the huge storage tank next to the now abandoned water park. The last extension took the line to the Air Force base at the airport and La Union apartments in front of the airport.