No permits for activities that produce sound contamination

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No permits for activities that produce sound contamination. Authorities will not issue permits for fiestas and other activities in urban residential areas

SANTO DOMINGO. The Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources reported that from now on it will not issue permits for parties and other activities in urban residential area with the aim of preventing harmful and bothersome noises that produce environmental contamination.

In this sense, they communicated that they will work in coordination with the mayors of the principle cities of the country in order to force compliance with what is established by laws 64-00 on the Environment and Natural Resources and 287-04 on Prevention, Suppression and Limitation of Damaging and Bothersome Noises that Produce Sonic Contamination, among other regulations.

A press communiqu? indicated that the measure comes after the history of formal complaints over sonic contamination that is found in the database of the state ministry. Together with the measure, the Ministry of the Environment and Natural Resources, the municipal governments and the Municipal Police will begin a novel campaign of education for citizens in order to regulate the noises that are bothersome and damaging to the environment and health.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Friday's DR1 News:
No permits for parties or noisy events
The Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources has announced that from now on it will not issue permits for parties and other events in urban residential areas as a way of preventing harmful and bothersome noise. For this purpose, they say they will work in coordination with the mayors of the country's main cities in order to enforce compliance with laws 64-00 on the Environment and Natural Resources and 287-04 on Prevention, Suppression and Limitation of Damaging and Bothersome Noise that Causes Noise Pollution, among other regulations. A press release states that the measure is being taken in response to a series of formal noise pollution complaints in the state ministry database. Along with the measure, the Ministry of the Environment and Natural Resources, the municipal governments and the Municipal Police is launching an innovative public education campaign aimed at regulating the noise that is bothersome, damaging to the environment and harmful to health.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
next step is to start dealing with the apes that have these sound systems in their cars that can be heard in Grand Cayman. they think it is clever to drive through a quiet neighborhood at 3 am with their reggaeton. there is no problem with these guys that a judiciously aimed grenade launcher won't fix.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Noisy Culture

Against the dominican constitution, this will never happen

The law 'contra ruidos' is about 13 years old and was updated in June 2003:

http://www.procuraduria.gov.do/PGR.NET/Dependencias/Ambiente/Nosotros/Proteccion Contra Ruidos.pdf

It is a law similar to those civilised countries have.

The Dominican reality has nothing to do with it.

Blaring colmados, SUV's with generators to drive their amplifiers, mopeds without mufflers, vendors with loudspeakers at 4 a.m., church music at 3 a.m. .... :devious:

Ingredients of the ('awesome') Dominican culture... how could they be prohibited????? :laugh:

donP

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I love to pass by at these "Drinks" playing "Judas Priest" or such at full volume, he he he :devious:

next step is to start dealing with the apes that have these sound systems in their cars that can be heard in Grand Cayman. they think it is clever to drive through a quiet neighborhood at 3 am with their reggaeton. there is no problem with these guys that a judiciously aimed grenade launcher won't fix.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Sorry, but this will do nothing about the music in the homes, cuando hay fiesta. They will just take it there.

The DR is a noisy country. Period.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
It's worked in the Colonial Zone (maybe something to do with the amount of money the Vicini's have invested in the area recently). Someone I knew of tried to open a new bar, it was open only 2 nights and has since shut down, rumor has it that the police made it very clear that we don't need any more bars. And a colmado owner was telling me that the police had visited and told him that he would be arrested if he continued to play loud music, and he said they were very very serious. I've also seen a Medio Ambiente vehicle buzzing around quite frequently. The Colonial Zone used to be hell to sleep in at night, now it's almost silent most nights. We had a major resident-led campaign against noise here about a year ago and I think this really did have lasting effects. All the noisy bars have been closed and everyone seems to understand that excessive noise is unacceptable. So it can be done.

I do agree with the comments about music in vehicles. The same law can be used by AMET to fine noisy vehicles, they just need to start enforcing it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
they were also eating 30 years ago, but did not look like they do today. now every other one is on the far side of being pleasingly plump...

I suppose they will need regulation when they reach the thunder thighs stage.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Como as? rinden m?s.

they were also eating 30 years ago, but did not look like they do today. now every other one is on the far side of being pleasingly plump...

It is not the chicas' fault.
They had to put on weight because of public (Dominican) demand... :bunny: :bunny:

donP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I suppose they will need regulation when they reach the thunder thighs stage.

they already did. i remember the good old days like the late 80s, when the chicas in a bar were all as fine as frog hair, with stunning bodies. nowadays, they are all overweight, with a pot belly they earned from too much Presidente. look around you on an average day, and you will notice that the girls are all carrying around excess beef compared to the girls of yesteryear.

Feb 7, 2007
The same law can be used by AMET to fine noisy vehicles, they just need to start enforcing it.

AMET doesn't work after 5/6 pm. That's the time when most of this vehicles start to blare music (when their owners leave from work/wake up from previous night's hangover to start it all again).